Originally Posted by Flooter
just because superman can fly, doesn’t mean he drinks his coffee cold. That would be weird.
He does actualy, just not bcs flying ... you know, freezing breath ... that thing cant be "turned off". laugh
Its actualy kinda funny how in later projects some directors sneak easter eggs for us, that coments his superpowers working all the time. smile

For example Supergirl mentioned that se few times accidentaly break her partners nose, when they were kissing ...
Or Supermans son actualy (Jordan i believe) comented freezing breath that is like have permanent mint in your mouth, so he was unable to enjoy his favourite meals since his powers started to show ... smile
Superman himself comenting that touching every person is hard for him as Clark Kent, since when you give you hand, strong grip is expected ... but for him, making that grip stonger by using 0,001% of his strength means crush other person arm into mush. laugh
etc. etc. wink

Aristotle said works of fiction should favor probable impossibilities over improbable possibilities. Suspension of disbelief covers the big, crazy things like spiderman or aliens or wizards. But the audience still expects the mundane, background things to function according to intuition
Yes and i agree with that great man ...
Sadly for this example, he talked about fiction story as a whole ... and therefore its more like point in my favor. :-/

Meaning: If we would use this rule, we would have to aply it on everything in this game ...
But people here require realism only when it suits them ... and that is why i have problem with that word in this topic.
That is why i dont concider it argument, but only covenient excuse ...

Few Examples:
People are complaining about Barrels not having "realistic weight" ... on the other hand, the same people are complaining that Gold even have weight ...
People are complaining about Foods healing property ... on the other hand, the same people have no problem with healing by "taking a pause to catch your breath" usualy known as "Short rest" ... or drinking potions, wich are litteraly just herbs with healing effect (yup, exactly the same thing we were able to heal by eating it in the past, but we are not anymore) mixed with water, and probably boiled or something ...

Video games aren’t like other works of fiction because they rely on abstract simulations. Hit points, or lives, have been around forever and never really made sense. Why does the last bullet you take kill you when all the others did basically nothing? The reason HP works in the player’s mind, I’d argue, is because it measures distance to failure intuitively. Take a hit, get closer to failing. Grab a medkit, buy yourself some breathing room.
My gues its bcs of childern ...
I mean, if you loot at any fairytales for small chindern (and i mean older fairytales, not Teletubbies) ... there is allmost every time some Hag burned alive, decapitated Dragon, or eviscerated Wolf with rocks stuffed in his stomach that drow in the well ... pretty brutal things if you thinks about it. :-/
But once we leave out all details, its sudently "apropriate for childern" ...

So we do in games ...
We have some effect for injuries, but no details ... and then we have final effect, once again without any details ... and that is acceptable.

I think that the abstraction of health points works only if it doesn’t stretch suspension of disbelief to improbable possibilities. Healing Word, Cure Wounds, Goodberry, sure! That’s what this world is all about. But no believable world has characters eating during intense exercise unless they’re looking for stomach cramps. It’s possible, but improbable.
Goodberry is actualy interesting example ...
To eat some fruit that was forced to grow by Druid (or at least that is how i allways imagined it ... but i presume its possible to also think that Druids simply "created" the berry out of thin air) ... its perfectly acceptable.
To dring some healing herbs processed into healing potion (i mean come on, does anyone really know what is in that thing? laugh ... maybe except GaMERCaT > and part two laugh )

But to heal by eating litteraly anything else is absolutely out of question. laugh
That just dont quite make sence to me. :-/

I mean i also disliked healing by eating pig heads (and other stuff, but those were mentioned most often since they healed the most) during combat ...
So i didnt eat them ... and world was perfectly okey acceptable and realistic enough for me. laugh
And i simply cant understand why there even exists people who demand to ruin this game for other people who are completely fine with healing food, since that is nothing new in fantasy videogames ... and demands change of rules so this particular game is "challenging enough" for them (and everyone else who never wanted that in the proces). :-/

I mean its not so buig fuss, but if we take this situation a little to absurd measures ...
Can you imagine that *one day* enough people start demanding that HP are not realistic enough and its very existence is ruining their experience ... and so they demand that every character have single HP only and die after first lethal hit?
Me neither.
But i was also unable to imagine someone would mind option he can completely ignore and never even know it is there ... and yet, here we are. laugh

Originally Posted by JandK
It's about finding verisimilitude.
Diferent word, same point.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown