Originally Posted by The Composer
Originally Posted by Amirit
No, what I am saying, they advertised the game as faithful adaptation of the tabletop’s fifth edition rules. And they kept declaring their intention to follow that rules (I am not about to link every interview they have done during the last several years). By doing so, they attracted DnD audience and changing the rules now would mean false advertisement.

The division you see does not come from "homebrew" crowd, but from people who are used to the DOS system. For the "homebrew" crowd Game Master Mode will be implemented. But the base game has to do what it promised to do.

Originally Posted by Swen Vincke - Source from last month
We want to have that Dungeons & Dragons feeling, not slavishly following every single one rule, but really getting the feeling of playing this tabletop experience but everything is being done for me, this dungeon master is doing everything automatically, I'm just having a good time.

Originally Posted by Swen Vincke - Source from October 2020
BG3 is based on the fifth edition [of D&D]. We started by setting out the ruleset very meticulously, and then seeing what worked and what didn’t work – because it is a videogame, and D&D was made to play as a tabletop game. So for the things that didn’t work, we came up with solutions.

Originally Posted by Swen Vincke - Source from October 2020
So what you can expect in BG3 is us giving you more tools to fool around with based on fifth edition rules and on some of the things that make the fifth edition so cool and accessible.

Originally Posted by Swen Vincke - Source from November 2020
Baldur’s Gate was the definitive D&D game of it’s generation, and that’s what we’re trying to create, but we’re also trying to make a good video game first and foremost, rather than a strict D&D adaptation.

To put it in D&D terms, we’re your dungeon master and this is our campaign that we’re running, so there will be our own flavour and house rules. We’re bringing you one particular visualisation of this world, but that doesn't mean that there cannot be others.

I think the messaging have been pretty consistent.

Completely agree! Very consistent smile Nowhere do they say they are going to add their own DOS system or create some kind of hybrid system but to keep it "definitive D&D game of it’s generation" adapting the rules for the better video game experience. Breaking fundamental rules of DnD system can hardly be called a "definitive D&D game" can it?