Originally Posted by Lady Avyna
Exactly, I don't know how much clearer Swen has to make himself.

Maybe it's because their initial advertising campaign, and their original comments, on which the game was first advertised and sold, was the statement that they were making baldur's gate 3, which they would be making in the fifth edition ruleset, which they would be translating into the game, and I quote, "As faithfully as possible".

So, many folks who bought into the game on that premise are rightfully annoyed at how completely disingenuous that statement has shown to be. Funnily enough, it's really hard to find the earliest articles and interviews, where these statements and others of a similar nature were first made, nowadays, and their tune has dramatically changed as well. Many folks are annoyed because they used a premise and an advertisement which they never even intended to honour to draw people in and generate sales.... and are in fact on record elsewhere as admitting that what they really want to do is use the branding, legacy and high-profile nature of D&D and the BG series to pimp Their style of games to a new audience... when that's not what was originally advertised, and not what brought many of the folks here to the game in the first place.

We all know this is a video game, and that the rule-set can benefit from many and various changes and adaptations when transitioning to a video game format - both for pacing and for general quality of life... no-one is denying that at all. In many of my own focus threads, I take special care to point out and note rule deviations and adaptations that are actually very good calls and nice improvements or concessions to video game format where adaptation improves the experience. Those aren't the things that people are making threads about, for the most part.