The truth is somewhere in the middle, like what Niara wrote which many kind of skims across or share seats in the boat I'm in. "As faithfully as possible" - Most people just read 'faithful' and expect a near 100% adaption or in the upper ceiling toward 100%. Some few take it as far as any deviation is a war crime and make false claims (such as the source of that quote of mine where someone insisted as such). Then there's me, and I'd assume the notion that Niara refers to, that would prefer a more faithful adaption in terms of less changes to simple things like shove/hide being a bonus action instead of an action which has a ripple-effect into other aspects such as Rogue losing a lot of its class niche. That's where I often butt in to disagree with some people, not because of what they say, but how they say it. I think most people want the same thing in the end of the day.

It was never said to be a 100% faithful adaption, just somewhere between as faithful as possible to based on but with creative liberty for fitting a video game. I have my own criticisms of Swen's wording sometimes and warned how it'd be received multiple times in the long distant past (and my ego admittedly feels boosted of predicting it so accurately). But it's also our responsibility as gamers to apply some good faith and attention to detail in the information we read as well, and interpret its meaning rather than literal face value.

Most feedback that I've seen and forwarded tend to fall into the category of "I understand it's unreasonable to have a 100% adaption into a video game, but this criticism X and complaint Y are things I think deviates away from PHB more than is necessary" kind of format. And that's perfectly fine and good. At least that's how I choose to view most threads, focusing on the meaning underneath rather than the angry words or emotions that often distorts the underlined intent. My only hope / interest is to make sure those doesn't turn into keyboard-warrior fistfights. Because again, we all just want a fun game in the end of the day I think.

Last edited by The Composer; 09/11/21 03:10 PM.