Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Originally Posted by The Composer
I do think the best path forward imo would be to keep the origins as they are, just remain as recruitable companions rather than characters you can start as, and double down on a MSQ (Main story quest) for the custom character the player makes, where each companion they cross path with can have their own little story/interest in the world for a different take and PoV into the MSQ, but the MSQ being focused mainly on the custom character(s).
[...]
It may help mending the individual desires/expectations of those that want one singular protagonist too, while allowing for a fellowship fantasy for those who prefers that. Which might be more in line with D&D, being a party of different protagonists.
Aren't these two paragraphs somewhat incompatible? The first paragraph seems to turn Tav+Companions into just that, Tav with the main quest and companions as followers. Whereas the second emphasizes D&D's "party of different protagonists."

I think the best fix is to add personal storyline(s)/quest(s) for Tav. Currently, Tav & Origin characters all have tadpoles and are heavily involved in the MSQ, but all the Origin Characters are more interesting because they also have sidequests and backstories.

One way of doing so is to add DAO Origins Stories for Tav. Tav gets the DAO-style background options and returns to that area later in the game, while each of the Origin Companions still have their personal quest. And party members are still "MSQ protagonists." This would require more work than simply scaling up Tav's importance in the MSQ, and I'm not sure how such this would work with multiplayer...do all players participate in the same background quest??
Dragon Age Origins - Next Gen RPG?

I haven't played Origins in a while but I certainly find myself coming back to those prologues whenever cRPG crafting comes up.

Last edited by Sozz; 11/11/21 08:57 PM.