Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK
Originally Posted by The Composer
...keep the origins as they are, just remain as recruitable companions rather than characters you can start as...

Oh my goodness, I hope not.

I *really* want to play as the origin characters, starting as them and letting each of them be the *main* character on various play-throughs.

To me, that's WAY more interesting than trying to push a custom character into the main role. I'd rather play a character with an actual backstory that the game acknowledges, instead of a backstory that's kind of just in my head. There's so much more a story can do when the story knows the character and lets you make moral decisions and such. For instance, how would the world react if Astarion was a good guy who wanted to save the tieflings versus Astarion being a bad guy and wanting to join the goblins.

With multiple origin characters to choose from, I get multiple backgrounds to play in a game that actually acknowledges the unique background.

Instead of me playing my blah drow who once upon time did blah thing, or so I vaguely sometimes imagine in my head.

That seems to be the current intended route to go, which I'm personally fine with too. My suggested take is mostly based on a fringe community I follow (I like to hear either side of a debate) that are mostly anti-BG3, very critical to nearly everything about it. One of the discussions that has been had on length there, is based on DOS2 and comparing with BG3, in how to make a generic character feel as important and meaningful as any of the Origins. In DOS2, you not only missed out on story if you played as a custom character, but missed out on the experience those quests/kills during the quests gave as well. So there was a lot of FOMO (Fear of missing out) for a lot of players that prefer to play as custom characters.

So you could do a solution like MrFuji suggested, to add specific new quests to the custom character as well, but in the end of the day that would just turn custom characters into a nameless Origin character with a fixed background / in-world interest, whereas those who typically prefer to play as a custom character, often explicitly want that blank slate to roleplay an imagined character of their own, without pre-disposed backstory and personality that they may not relate to on a personal level. So that way, you'd only have a game full of Origin characters, but no option to adhere to their preference.

You can also leave it as-is now, which will leave a portion of the playerbase feel like they're giving up on a lot of experiences of quests they're missing out on, and/or experience and loot gained through said quests, just because they prefer to play a custom.

The third, is to narrow down a MSQ for the protagonist, the player characters, that each origin/companion compliments with their own perspectives on it, and their own individual side-quests, that does not steal from the MSQ which is the custom character's "origin quest" if you will, the main story of the game.

I'm not picky so I'd be happy with any three of them (I will play as Shadowheard as main whether I have to mod or not, and currently do in EA in private mods too), but from what I see overall across socials leads me to think the third alternative would be a middle-ground most people would be happy with. Maybe some creative merger where if you choose to start as eg. Shadowheart, the custom character MSQ is assigned to Shadowheart, so that you may have the best of both worlds somehow. Not sure. I'm just brain-storming at this point.

Originally Posted by mrfuji3
I wouldn't be opposed to your idea (Tav = The Protagonist). Most crpgs do this. But I think it's very unlikely that Larian will scrap their Origin Companions idea and prevent you from playing as them and/or make it so they don't also have tadpoles.

That's kind of part of my point, it wouldn't need scrapping at all. Their quests are already implemented as companions. If anything, it'd mean less work for Larian. Because right now, while it's kind of invisible to players, you actually have to make the characters twice with current system. One with their behavior, quest progression/journal entries, and dialogue as a companion - The other for the same as an Origin (AVATAR). This solution means only one iteration for companions. Or if merged as in last paragraph above, equal amount of work, but not any more.

Even as companions, they could still have tadpoles and be just as they are now. A while back there was a thread about how it feels like the party is missing a leader, and questioning why the companions would even want to follow Tav, or how they have every reason not to but for some reason seem to follow them anyway. An MSQ could help underline Tav (or assigned starter character choice of custom/Origin in CC by the player) as the group leader and mitigate some of that party synergy dissonance people mentioned in that thread as well, potentially.

Last edited by The Composer; 10/11/21 07:46 PM.
veteran
veteran
So you could do a solution like MrFuji suggested, to add specific new quests to the custom character as well, but in the end of the day that would just turn custom characters into a nameless Origin character with a fixed background / in-world interest, [...]
That's a good point. It basically just turns Tav into an Origin character, but probably with a less fleshed out story because Larian'd have to code in a different quest/backstory for each [background] chosen by the player. At that point, why not just play an actual Origin Character...? And it'd mean that you couldn't play a blank-slate character.

Because right now, while it's kind of invisible to players, you actually have to make the characters twice with current system. One with their behavior, quest progression/journal entries, and dialogue as a companion - The other for the same as an Origin (AVATAR). This solution means only one iteration for companions. Or if merged as in last paragraph above, equal amount of work, but not any more.

Even as companions, they could still have tadpoles and be just as they are now. A while back there was a thread about how it feels like the party is missing a leader, and questioning why the companions would even want to follow Tav, or how they have every reason not to but for some reason seem to follow them anyway. An MSQ could help underline Tav as the group leader and mitigate some of that party synergy dissonance people mentioned in that thread as well, potentially.
All fair. It would be ~zero work for current Origin companions, and less work for any future companions Larian plans to add. And yes it would be one way to "underline Tav as the group leader." Though that could also be done through additional dialogue where the party, somehow, nominates you as a leader. Maybe you're particularly convincing (Charisma rolls) or the party has conflicting interests (SH and Lae'zel) and thus make you the tie-breaker.

journeyman
journeyman
As a weird off the cuff suggestion as that is just me can we please please have Fane traverse games and weirdly appear in this universe after reading the wrong book one day? You know you want to, it's an earner for you as you could only play with him if you own the Divinity series..God I'm a natural marketer. Maybe I should buy a fruit store and sell under the counter mana melons or something.

Fane: "Oh, I'm going to get a sexual experience at last, I've heard about this"

Astarion: " Sorry you've got not hole for my goal darling"

Last edited by Seleniumcodec; 10/11/21 08:11 PM.

We have a saying amongst PC users, Look after your PC ,and That's what I've done and I've maintained it for 20 years, this old PC has had 17 new Cards and 14 new Boards in it's time and it's still the same PC
veteran
veteran
...how to make a generic character feel as important and meaningful as any of the Origins.

I just don't think it's possible. I think it's a great goal, and it's an understandable want... but I can't imagine how a custom character could compete in a story that could otherwise be dedicated to a known entity.

There are things to do to make the custom character feel a little more invested, sure. NWN2 starts the main character in West Harbor, by the Mere of Dead Men. And this gets referenced throughout the game, giving the main character a sense of home, of history, and of beginning.

The same can be said of a character who begins as a ward of Gorion.

But in these approaches, there's still an empty hole. Something vague and unknown, mostly unaddressed. For instance, if you're an elf, how long have you lived in West Harbor versus a human? Doesn't that have an impact on how long ago the silver sword shattered? It's all vague because it's trying to cater to a thousand thousand players with a thousand thousand different background wants.

As opposed to a story that knows the character. You *are* Astarion. This *is* your history. You *are* Shadowheart. This *is* your history. Now the story can literally revolve around these truths and help you, as the player, get invested. The same way you would get invested in a novel about a character. Now, all of that said, you can still control the character. You can still decide how the character reacts. The only thing you're not in control of is the character's past. That's predetermined for you.

But, in my opinion, that's better. Better to have a concrete history that can act as a roleplaying prompt for you than having a vague, nebulous background that the game is essentially incapable of acknowledging.

And sure, the game can give a generic Tav a special quest in an attempt to provide additional content. That's beneficial and gets closer to making Tav feel important, I suppose, but I still don't see how it competes with an extra quest and content literally tailored to a background.

Just my opinion, of course.

R
old hand
old hand
R
What's the point of adding a more elaborate story to a custom character if it ends up turning it into another Origins character?
I suspect it would have ended up with a much less elaborate / meaningful story because of the need to match different races.
There is one more significant problem.
Many people prefer to play with a "blank card" as they can create their own stories.
Adding a story to a non-standard character will make these people dissatisfied.
I remember that not so long ago I watched a movie about bg3 in which the author criticized older games for the fact that the history of the characters was strongly defined.

As for me, the origins system is a pretty good compromise, it adds an extensive storyline for characters for people who like a defined hero.

Last edited by Rhobar121; 10/11/21 08:30 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
I do think the best path forward imo would be to keep the origins as they are, just remain as recruitable companions rather than characters you can start as, and double down on a MSQ (Main story quest) for the custom character the player makes, where each companion they cross path with can have their own little story/interest in the world for a different take and PoV into the MSQ, but the MSQ being focused mainly on the custom character(s).
[...]
It may help mending the individual desires/expectations of those that want one singular protagonist too, while allowing for a fellowship fantasy for those who prefers that. Which might be more in line with D&D, being a party of different protagonists.
Aren't these two paragraphs somewhat incompatible? The first paragraph seems to turn Tav+Companions into just that, Tav with the main quest and companions as followers. Whereas the second emphasizes D&D's "party of different protagonists."

I think the best fix is to add personal storyline(s)/quest(s) for Tav. Currently, Tav & Origin characters all have tadpoles and are heavily involved in the MSQ, but all the Origin Characters are more interesting because they also have sidequests and backstories.

One way of doing so is to add DAO Origins Stories for Tav. Tav gets the DAO-style background options and returns to that area later in the game, while each of the Origin Companions still have their personal quest. And party members are still "MSQ protagonists." This would require more work than simply scaling up Tav's importance in the MSQ, and I'm not sure how such this would work with multiplayer...do all players participate in the same background quest??
Dragon Age Origins - Next Gen RPG?

I haven't played Origins in a while but I certainly find myself coming back to those prologues whenever cRPG crafting comes up.

Last edited by Sozz; 11/11/21 08:57 PM.
veteran
veteran
The 'blank card' is a style of play that doesn't really interest me, the Ultima/Elder Scrolls side of rpgs, whenever I play those games I just feel like a passenger in a story that only happens to my character.

I also think there's a little difference between what we're after, a character with a history in the world, and a character who is ordained to be the one true protagonist. Older games, taking Baldur's Gate for instance, really don't define your character at all, you know your special, but beyond the beginning and end of the story, it doesn't really come into play. In those days the effect of your choices on the story are minimal too, it's not really a good comparison to make between old rpgs and newer games, where the interplay of the story and your choices has become such big part of the storytelling.

Related to this, I think JandK brings up a good point, people are treating Origin characters as dictating how they'll be forced to play their characters, but when you play them you'll be making decisions that will make them totally different people from how they are when the game is driving them. All we're talking about is who they are before the game starts, before you make your first choice.

You can never have a blank slate in a computer game you can only have a game that avoids dealing with your past or one where your past is pre-defined, I guess for a lot of people, creating a head-cannon around their blank slate is preferable to those alternatives, but for me having the game/story acknowledge your character and build off them is always going to be the more interesting choice.

E
addict
addict
E
One of my major issues with playing an Origins character is that their personalities are already quite defined to us; the notion of playing as Lae'Zel or Astarion and then choosing actions which are contrary to their personalities seems a bit contrived to me, assuming that Origins characters won't be railroaded into decisions which reflect their demeanours. In essence, you could roleplay a selfish or 'evil' Origins character as a 'good' character and that just feels strange, mostly in terms of having a grounded and believable game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Etruscan
One of my major issues with playing an Origins character is that their personalities are already quite defined to us; the notion of playing as Lae'Zel or Astarion and then choosing actions which are contrary to their personalities seems a bit contrived to me, assuming that Origins characters won't be railroaded into decisions which reflect their demeanours. In essence, you could roleplay a selfish or 'evil' Origins character as a 'good' character and that just feels strange, mostly in terms of having a grounded and believable game.

Yup! 100%.

veteran
veteran
Roleplay a selfish evil character who learns how to care about people...?

I can't comment on this without really knowing what it will be like to play as an origin character, it could be like DOS where you get tagged responses for each character or it could be a little more in depth, conversations with yourself, dialogue trees with people that only apply to that specific origin. It could be cool or it could be lame, like everything

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by JandK
...how to make a generic character feel as important and meaningful as any of the Origins.

I just don't think it's possible. I think it's a great goal, and it's an understandable want... but I can't imagine how a custom character could compete in a story that could otherwise be dedicated to a known entity.

There are things to do to make the custom character feel a little more invested, sure. NWN2 starts the main character in West Harbor, by the Mere of Dead Men. And this gets referenced throughout the game, giving the main character a sense of home, of history, and of beginning.

IMO, the key to making the "generic" character just as important to any of the Origins is to focus on forward looking content, instead of trying to cobble together a compelling but also generic backstory.

The specific appeal of the custom character is that it's not tied to the hyper specific origin stories (which many characters do not identify with), so trying to force fit something into there will just defeat the purpose of the custom character.

In well designed story, the background is just a minor point of detail. True character is decided through actions and decision during the actual course of the story. For example - the Bhaalspawn wasn't truly defined by what happened in Candlekeep for the first 18 years of their life. It's what they chose to do after the call of adventure that truly formed the character. Similarly, while the Nameless One may have gone through multiple incarnations that setup the course of his current story. The true character of the Nameless one, the one you care about, is ultimately decided by the choices and decision you make during your story.

What does this mean for the BG3 Custom protagonist? It means adding in content/questlines ONLY for the custom character that will really give you an opportunity to define who you are. There's multiple ways Larian can do that. For example:

1) Upon enter Baldur's Gate, you go back to your neighbor and find the people that raised you are missing, and are forced to unravel what has happened...
2) Your "dream person" tells you they're in danger and needs your help, and draws you into a dream adventure

Regardless of how it starts, the goal of these quests isn't to go a X and kill Y, etc. It's to challenge the player philosophically and force them to make decisions. Push comes to shove, who are you really? What are you willing to give up for the people you love? What do you truly believe in, and how much are you willing to give up to fight for it. I'm thinking some Witcher-esque tough decisions that aren't entirely comfortable. Remember, all the origin characters - their goals, motivation, and characteristics are ultimately pre-defined. Whereas the custom character doesn't come with that. What this custom content should do is to allow you to stew in these kind of thoughts and decisions, and really work out who your main character is.

And I don't mean to imply that the main game/plot won't have important choices. However, ultimately the urgency of the main plot really doesn't offer you that same chance - since regardless of who you are (evil, sociopathic, altruistic, empathetic), you are heavily driven into self preservation and thus your choices really are limited to doing anything that will get you closer to the cure. Everything revolves it. The custom character's well defined past helps fill in tons of character gaps. So it'll be great if the custom character's special content precisely addresses that gap, I think that would be a great way to make the custom character feel special and truly your own.

Last edited by Topgoon; 11/11/21 12:08 AM.
veteran
veteran
I'm actually really fond of the "defining elements of your character and background by way of the Tadpole getting to know you" angle.

Like NW2's harvest fair, running a largely non-combat tutorial prologue that's based in your character's memories as the tadpole is trying to build a picture of your mind, and letting you tell it what you remember about yourself and who you are - it presents the world space and populates it from that, and it won't necessarily be "right" to what you the player have in mind, because it's not exactly "right" in universe either; it's the tadpole trying to construct a world that you can slip into in your dream state - but it lets you tell the game things about yourself in an immersive way, that can then fall apart into the crashing ship 'combat' section of the tutorial prologue.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
I'm actually really fond of the "defining elements of your character and background by way of the Tadpole getting to know you" angle.

Like NW2's harvest fair, running a largely non-combat tutorial prologue that's based in your character's memories as the tadpole is trying to build a picture of your mind, and letting you tell it what you remember about yourself and who you are - it presents the world space and populates it from that, and it won't necessarily be "right" to what you the player have in mind, because it's not exactly "right" in universe either; it's the tadpole trying to construct a world that you can slip into in your dream state - but it lets you tell the game things about yourself in an immersive way, that can then fall apart into the crashing ship 'combat' section of the tutorial prologue.

That's actually a pretty interesting angle. I'm gonna need to chew on that and process in the back of my head for a while on my way into Neverland. (Sleep)

veteran
veteran
I'm definitely with topgoon there. That's the approach!
I'd like to see it initiated in prologue and continue throughout the course of play at various intervals. The set up is all there to handle it via surrealist tapole dream or memory flashback episodes, tank matrix or whatever when necessary. I think its simpler to do that in vignette. Not like backstory cinematic, but rather builds the prompts and situational vignettes to service several possible ways in, but where the ways out what's really relevant.

Definitely! Have the characterization follow from what happens next in sequence, and the subsequent callbacks references to that. Like the choices the PC makes and then those reveals. I also like the construct where the tadpole is doing its best to present a fitting simulacrum but where the exact details might be fuzzy, cause tadpole lol.

That's what I want though, not just a fill in the blank = silence in the room, but something that develops over the course of play. It's easier to tell a good story with set characters, but the tradition of D&D is not really that. Like I love the Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion or the Conan sagas, I think they're cool stories and cool characters, but don't really have an interest in roleplaying any of those characters to make different choices than the choices they made in the books. That's why D&D went more generic in the first place hehe.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 11/11/21 01:11 AM.
veteran
veteran
Absolutely, One of my big gripes with Tav is that there is no consistency between my choices, or, if there is no consistency between my choices, I have no idea who Tav is.
Originally Posted by Sozz
Originally Posted by Tuv
Originally Posted by Sozz
I especially like your Mind-Flayer mind probe scenario, it sounds like a great way to establish some things for your character with out the possibility you're just bullshitting to get on someone's good side. a RPG pet peeve of mine

Hadn't considered that one could lie when giving those answers heh. Lae'Zel would also be a good point to ask some questions about the player character's past.
This point to me has been a real Achilles' Heel of RPG characterization for a while now, the way people develop their characters is through their actions and interactions with other people, The way you act might seem pretty straightforward but the motivations behind them aren't, consider our Grove-Goblin conflict, you don't need to be good to help out the Tieflings, your motivations can be totally selfish or altruistic, but the only way for the game to know that is through explicitly having your character talk about it, either with your companions or with themselves. This causes a problem, because your companions can like or dislike you, a whole system of min-max approval/disapproval gains take over from the role playing. Are you saying that because you believe it or because you want them to like you, are lying to them because you're a deceptive person or because the game rewards you for doing so. It's a game design that rewards the PC who is one of those high-functioning sociopaths, they don't have a externalized personality because all their interactions with other people go through these machinations. That's why I liked the mind probe scenario because it gets around the retroactive character building that is in play right now, which is subject this paradigm.

To give a few examples of this I found in the EA:

If double crossing Zevlor, he asks you "why!?!" you respond by saying, "All hail the Absolute"....what? does that mean I'm a true believer now? Am I just saying that to be shitty? I couldn't tell you.

Astarion comes upon us at night, revealing his need for blood, because I think he's a dreamy bad-boy I can 'fix', I let him 'neck' with me, the next morning the camp knows his true nature, and inquires into my disposition, I make clear, privately, that if anyone catches him sucking someone's blood, he's to be killed, I then ask Astarion if he'd be interested in a repeat of last night....what's going on here, am I trying to murder him the hard way? Am I just saying what I think everyone wants to hear? ...Am I jealous? Bite me sempai!

Like I said, pet peeve
If we had more opportunites to make choices with Tav, have those choices either be validated by an reliable party or culminate in another choice that pins down Tav's actions to his character, I think that would go some way to making Tav less of a non-entity.
Tav isn't a reliable narrator, because we have no idea what Tav is thinking. We choose actions but have no insight into Tav's reasoning, as far as I can tell. Tav is a stranger to me, despite being my avatar.

Last edited by Sozz; 11/11/21 01:16 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
DAO was my favorite game in defining my character. You chose from a set number of origins and backgrounds, and your experience was pretty drastically altered depending on which background you chose AND your in-game choices. No game has touched DAO in that regard (imho). Skyrim was a bit too open ended from my perspective. Your background is really meaningless in that game, whereas DAO struck a great balance between origin and choice. I have been waiting a decade for a next gen game to go back to this idea. No joy unfortunately. I thought CP77 might get there with the three origins, but alas…they screwed the pooch on the whole game.

Origin characters are a heavy handed version of the DAO system. You get different backgrounds, but your character is overly pre defined. Freedom is so limited. It will never be as fluid as DAO or as focused as, say, TW3. It just falls flat somewhere in the middle.

But…it is what it is. They will not change it at this point. It is the DOS2 thang they are married to. The bitter draught of inevitability.

Last edited by timebean; 11/11/21 12:35 PM.
veteran
veteran
That's actually a pretty interesting angle. I'm gonna need to chew on that and process in the back of my head for a while on my way into Neverland. (Sleep)

Here's a throw-together of the sort of concept I'm meaning:

((The screen is black))

Narrator: The stinging fades, and the memory of it passes swiftly from your mind. You feel disoriented; your senses are dull and you can't tell where you are.

Voice: “You are home; you are safe. You grew up here. Look around you; tell me what you see.”

1) Just a single, isolated homestead, in the middle of nowhere... but it was home.
2) This is the little village where I was born...
3) This is the city I grew up in...
4) This is my island; the roll of waves is home for me.
5) The mountains where I trained... the order.
6) We moved around a lot, but wherever it went, the caravan was home for me, really...
7) [Githyanki] My creche, where I first drew the blood of my clutch mates to survive...

((Player picks 4. The screen fades in to a nondescript island setting, with white sand beaches, a small township and the dazzling blue of the sea of swords. The scene shows people moving about the little township, while the character stands on the beach, looking out to sea.))

Narrator: As your vision clears, you realise where you are.

Voice: “Yes, home. You're safe here; you can relax. Remember what it was like, growing up?”

1) Heh... I was always a bit of a trouble-maker. If there was mischief, I was probably at the centre of it.
2) I liked to keep to myself, and enjoy the quiet moments. People said I was always daydreaming.
3) I always like to try to help out where I could, even when I was little.
4) I had so many friends!
5) I was such a terrible flirt, even back then. It got me into trouble sometimes.
6) I remember the grazes and the bruises. I was always scrapping, or picking fights.
7) [Githyanki] T'ch, relaxing was for the feeble. I learned to praise Valkith, follow orders, and slit the throat of any who got in my way. I made my first kill when I was a yearling. I remember it. Vividly.

((Player picks 1. The people in the scene grow more defined. The player is then free to walk around and talk to people. The other NPCs greet the character by name, and respond to them in styles based on the previous answer, but generally all friendly and positive – treating the PC as though they are still a youth. The PC is able to engage in a few various conversations that let them respond in a small handful of ways that help define their character a little more; the game can remember these - these do not create restrictions, but rather can open up extra options later on. Movement tutorials, social interaction tutorials, skill check tutorials and inventory management tutorials are presented here (the exact skills presented might be from a pool of a few options based on the PC's answers – if they are a daydreamer who goes exploring, they might make athletics and perception checks, for example, but all choices will cover stealth, slight of hand and persuasion in some form, at minimum), while the player explores the town and is guided to talk to a few specific npcs. After this is done, a new NPC runs up to the player, indistinct; game movement slows before they reach the PC.))

Voice: “There was someone very important to you there, wasn't there? Tell me about them...”

1) My sister was always looking out for me...
2) My brother and I were always close...
3) My best friend
4) There was this one girl...
5) There was this one boy...
6) I don't really really think of anyone from back then any more.
7) [Githyanki] My Kith'rak trained me hard. I tried to kill them and assume their position many times. At each failure, they taught me to try harder.

((Player picks 1, and the game fades into the character creator to let them design the figure, who then comes into clarity when they confirm it and finishes running up to them. The figure's dialogue is a culmination of several of the options picked so far, as well as providing a (possibly fictional – this is a tadpole dream) vector away form 'safety' and to Baldur's gate, or to a location within it if the character is a Baldurian))

“[PlayerName], There you are! I swear, Targon is going to give you a hiding if he finds out it was you who let his chickens out and spooked them.” She sighs. “Or, I guess, if he can prove it, since he thinks it was you already. It was you, wasn't it? You're... Oh, never mind, come on, there's no time! The ship to Baldur's Gate is leaving in ten minutes, and if we don't go now... you're not going to make me wait another three months to go birthday shopping, are you? Come on!”

((As the player follows after the figure, the dream begins to break apart; storms and violent weather set in and aspects begin to tear and shatter. Glimpses of Nautiloid themed matter begin to glimpse through, and as the dream loses cohesion, we crash out into what is now the current intro. It could give the subtle, hinted at impression that if this process had completed smoothly, we might have eventually woken up in BG with no real knowledge of our infection, possibly.))

Just a quick rough up of the concept - the idea is that these details would draw from a restricted set of possibilities that are meant to represent "As close as the tadpole can do in a short amount of time", so it's in-universe going to be not quite right, to cover the game's inability to perfectly map things for every individual player, but it still lets them define some things about their character that can potentially come up later. It also lets the game potentially set up some specific character protagonist hooks.

Last edited by Niara; 11/11/21 04:28 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Here's a throw-together of the sort of concept I'm meaning
That would be quite an engaging thing, if done well.
+1.

veteran
veteran
Brilliant! That's the exact sort of daisy chain I wish the prologue could accomplish. It just feels very in the spirit of Dungeons and Dragons. Sure it's a bit or work, but that work pans out down the line and makes the whole custom angle to feel much more fully realized.

Ps. Also in fairness to the spirit of the OP's question... if I had to pick it's still Lae'zel for me. In the event that there is more insight into Gith culture on offer there or whatever. I'd probably try it once just to see what it's about. Though I still wish they'd focus on TAV - ATTN Charname.

That's more why I'm here.

I also enjoyed the DAO approach, and the NWN2 approach to this stuff.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 11/11/21 06:45 AM.
veteran
veteran
I really like that, Niara.

And I agree with timebean, that DAO did the origin System best.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard