Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I never found myself in the game in a pool of blood with an intellect devourer nibbling at my ear. So why does Gale say this?

veteran
veteran
These inconsistencies are noteworthy.

Could they perhaps be consolidated in the same thread without making a new one for each? =)

veteran
veteran
Yup ... that and Astarion mentioning that he have seen us on the ship

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 26/11/21 12:26 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
If Astarion was in a pod that wasn't damaged, (much like Shadowheart) then presumably, he might have seen us - he could have been trapped in any of the pods we pass that are still intact. I get the impression that's the implication with him.

Gale's comment is more difficult to fit in - it means that Gale must have been out of confinement and in the process of escaping before us, and before the dragon assault really kicked into high gear - but also in confinement long enough to get infested in the first place. Assuming he was perhaps in a different chamber and was seen to first, before us, that gives him a small window of time to break out on his own, once the Illithid's back was turned, and escape through our chamber - assuming our character was out of the ruptured pod and unconscious on the ground - but that Gale himself wasn't about to stick around and check the pulse of every body he passed. There are a number of patrolling IDs about the ship - so it's possible that in that margin one was examining us, before we woke up, but scuttled away after, once it knew we were both alive, and also a beautiful weapon... but the timing for all of that is pretty narrow, and it makes a number of assumptions we can't confirm.

The question is whether you put it down to being an inconsistency in Gale, or just an inconsistency in the writing... How strong is your faith in Larian's writing chops?

I've just seen it as something that happens before we wake up, and Gale assumed we were dead

enthusiast
enthusiast
Agree…I just assumed he left the room a few min before we woke up.

Gale is not nearly as difficult to fit in as Karlach. There was a single mindflayer on a ship of dead mind flayers fighting dragons, githyanki, and demons.

She got on the ship on the midst of that fight, not kidnapped straight into a pod like we were. How on earth did she get a tadpole in her eye?

Last edited by timebean; 26/11/21 01:06 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
If Astarion was in a pod that wasn't damaged, (much like Shadowheart) then presumably, he might have seen us - he could have been trapped in any of the pods we pass that are still intact. I get the impression that's the implication with him.
It would still be nice if we would have seeing him sleeping in one of them ...
He could pretend of course, that would be fitting his character in my opinion ... so he would have seen us, we would have seen him, he would have presume we were teamed with mind flayers ... and most importantly Larian dont have to deal with another freeable companion. laugh

Just imagine how it will be when we have all the other missing origin characters. Not sure if they are confirmed to have tadpoles as well, but it would make it a crowd.

Regarding Karlach I've just kind of assumed she got jumped/knocked unconcious and a tadpole just crawled into her eye, Alien/facehugger style, so never in a pod.

veteran
veteran
I believe Karlach is at least semi-confrimmed since we join our mind with her. O_o

It would be quite a crowd, presuming we would not have party limit ...
Wich i kinda doubt. laugh

But we would at least be presented to this ridiculous "your party is too full for me to join you" in advance. laugh

old hand
old hand
I think Gale's line refers to us lying on the beach, after the crash. I also think he's not being literal.

Originally Posted by timebean
There was a single mindflayer on a ship of dead mind flayers fighting dragons, githyanki, and demons.

We see two Mindflayers alive on the helm (the second is killed by imps in the cutscene that plays when we enter it).

I also assumed there's more to the ship than we explore during the tutorial.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Niara

Gale's comment is more difficult to fit in - it means that Gale must have been out of confinement and in the process of escaping before us, and before the dragon assault really kicked into high gear - but also in confinement long enough to get infested in the first place. Assuming he was perhaps in a different chamber and was seen to first, before us, that gives him a small window of time to break out on his own, once the Illithid's back was turned, and escape through our chamber - assuming our character was out of the ruptured pod and unconscious on the ground - but that Gale himself wasn't about to stick around and check the pulse of every body he passed. There are a number of patrolling IDs about the ship - so it's possible that in that margin one was examining us, before we woke up, but scuttled away after, once it knew we were both alive, and also a beautiful weapon... but the timing for all of that is pretty narrow, and it makes a number of assumptions we can't confirm.

The question is whether you put it down to being an inconsistency in Gale, or just an inconsistency in the writing... How strong is your faith in Larian's writing chops?

One thing I found weird with Astarion is he literally YELLS at you for running around while he was in the pod. I definitely didn't see occupied pods except for Shadowheart and the woman who turned into a mindflayer... and he must've been conscious in the pod, since he saw you. Where exactly was his pod? It's a super minor detail so I don't really care too much about it, but each room is somewhat cut off from another with the tunnel entrances. How did he see us running about long enough to assume that the PC is in league with the illithids (or maybe he jumped to conclusions, his WIS isn't that great).

old hand
old hand
There are lots of pods in the "background" of the ship. I usually click my way through the prologue as fast as I can these days so I'm not sure how correct I am, but I believe Tav or Laessie comments on how many pods there are (thousands?) when you enter one of the rooms -- Shadowheart room or the Lever-Change room I think.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by gabrielled
One thing I found weird with Astarion is he literally YELLS at you for running around while he was in the pod. I definitely didn't see occupied pods except for Shadowheart and the woman who turned into a mindflayer... and he must've been conscious in the pod, since he saw you. Where exactly was his pod? It's a super minor detail so I don't really care too much about it, but each room is somewhat cut off from another with the tunnel entrances. How did he see us running about long enough to assume that the PC is in league with the illithids (or maybe he jumped to conclusions, his WIS isn't that great).

In the room with the woman who turned into a Mind Flayer... her pod was in the middle of the room. But look ahead, past the platform where the body of the dead cultist is. You can't walk over to them, but there are numerous pods you can see.

veteran
veteran
If Gale saw us lying on the beach, then I wonder, why he didn't come up to help us. I would think, that he is more likely to help someone than for example Astarion.
Speaking of Astarion: he coudl have been in any of the pods we come across on the mindflayer ship.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
old hand
old hand
The "brain devourer nibbling at your ear" part -- which I don't think he means literally -- implies to me that he thought we were dead or at least a goner.

veteran
veteran
His eyes deceived him.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
I never found myself in the game in a pool of blood with an intellect devourer nibbling at my ear. So why does Gale say this?
I assumed he witnessed the insertion of the parasite. The line did seem weird to me - like the opening sequence on the ship has some content missing.

Originally Posted by timebean
Gale is not nearly as difficult to fit in as Karlach. There was a single mindflayer on a ship of dead mind flayers fighting dragons, githyanki, and demons.

She got on the ship on the midst of that fight, not kidnapped straight into a pod like we were. How on earth did she get a tadpole in her eye?
Yeah, that's an odd bit as well, that said considering how half baked she is at the moment, I didn't give it much thought.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fylimar
Speaking of Astarion: he coudl have been in any of the pods we come across on the mindflayer ship.
Yeah he could ... but that would once again change the situation to covenient "only shadowheart had both side trasparent window on her pod" laugh
I mean ... if he have seen us, we should have seen him. :P

As i said, to see him seemingly sleeping would be okey for me. smile

old hand
old hand
I'm filing this under 'the mindflayer ship sequence is very incomplete'. I get the impression that the Astarion and Gale interactions when we find them for the first time are largely placeholder.

We'll probably find all of the origin companions on the ship eventually.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Maybe the character models in the numerous pods we see aboard the nautiloid are still missing in early access, and we will see them later. So I think Astarion`s story makes sense, he might have still be trapped in one of these pods and be able to see us seemingly allowed to walk around freely, which leads him to believe we are collaborating with his captors. And leads to his not very nice, but – from his perspective - comprehensible reaction when we first meet him. I really like his introduction, I think it is very fitting for a rogue and for his character. And we get a first impression of his skills wink

Gale might have been able to escape from a damaged pod while our character was still unconscious outside their own pod, and I would not blame him for not checking too long if our character is really dead, not when there are intellect devourers around.
But there is another part of his introductory dialogue I found a bit suspicious, when your character is a wizard or a sorcerer. Gale says “There's a gust of weave about you, but it’s a mere breeze. I need a tempest. It’ll have to wait. The primary need is a healer.” Considering what we learn about Gale's condition later: would he have somehow tried to use our magic, if we were more powerful, like he does with the magical artefacts? I was wondering since a sorcerer's magic is described as inborn and a part of them, but I do not know if there would be a possibility for him to do so at all. Maybe I am reading too much into this, but I like if it was some hint that he is hiding even more than his condition.

Last edited by Lyelle; 26/11/21 07:49 PM. Reason: Some rephrasing and additions
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard