Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
anyone think we should have this? i do and people keep telling me how they want them in as features i of course would love to be a vampire what and thanks to the tadpoles we dont have to worry about the sun so much.

addict
addict
Are we allowed to disagree? The way you worded your question make it sound like you're only looking for likeminded kindred/pack members.

I personally don't want it. Not that I belittle your wish, the allure of the those class fantasies are strong, but as Niara has pointed out several times regarding Astarion, it breaks the D&D lore in so many ways, making the tadpoles simply convenient plot armor.

Now that I think of it, without the tadpole, Astarion would be a terrible thief as the weakness Forbiddance would hinder him from cat burglary.

E
addict
addict
E
I understand the appeal but no, not a fan of this idea. Lets not turn it into BG: Twilight. Vampirism worked in Skyrim, don’t see how it would work in a BG game where it is more story driven.

It’s already trite enough that two of our companions are a vampire and werewolf respectively without a custom PC being one too. Sorry to disagree with you and your friends.

veteran
veteran
I would probably not mind ...
Implement it as a background wich would mean give up two proficoencies and why not.

I mean its just an option after all.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 30/11/21 08:57 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Have what? There is no night system, so it's of little relevance.

Vampire [spawn} will already be playable in form of Astarion's Origin, so it is no impossible that it will become race/background, like undead was a race in D:OS2... or it might be unique to Astarion, as it doesn't seem like he has many unique mechanics tied to him.

Personally, I prefer to kill were-things and vampires. To me it's a bit like playing as a goblin or a ghul. Just not very interesting or appealing.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Etruscan
Vampirism worked in Skyrim, don’t see how it would work in a BG game where it is more story driven.

While I'm no big vampire fan myself neither, they do have their place in DnD RPG's - with day and night mechanism in place that is - or did you forget about Bodhi in BG2 ?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by SerraSerra
did you forget about Bodhi in BG2 ?
I think OP suggestion is about becoming a vampire or werewolf - got bored with Skyrim before I got to that stuff, I am pretty sure you can at least become a werewolf in it - not encountering/fighting one.

E
addict
addict
E
While I'm no big vampire fan myself neither, they do have their place in DnD RPG's - with day and night mechanism in place that is - or did you forget about Bodhi in BG2 ?

I remember Bodhi very well indeed. My intention perhaps did not come across in my post; it was not about those creatures not having a place in D*D, it was more about the ramifications of the central character suddenly becoming a Vampire or Werewolf and how that would affect the story and how NPC react to you. It would seem to add rather a lot of work to make it fit the game world.

addict
addict
Become a creature of the night and walk during the sunlight at noon.

Last edited by IrenicusBG3; 02/12/21 01:47 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

//Edit:
Oh, you said noon ... not moon. laugh
My misstake.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 02/12/21 01:00 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3

It's like putting Lemmy from motorhead on the set of the teletubbies and pretending there is nothing potentially weird or conflicting at all... smile

Originally Posted by Etruscan

I remember Bodhi very well indeed. My intention perhaps did not come across in my post; it was not about those creatures not having a place in D*D, it was more about the ramifications of the central character suddenly becoming a Vampire or Werewolf and how that would affect the story and how NPC react to you. It would seem to add rather a lot of work to make it fit the game world.

Ok, I agree, while they do have their place, allowing them as playable characters is possible in theory but indeed would require a lot of resources best spend elsewhere... Unless of course you have Larian's 'staff of unlimited plot armor' and the 'ring of narrative contradictions and plot hole casting' .

Last edited by SerraSerra; 02/12/21 01:07 PM.
veteran
veteran
Unless of course you have Larian's 'staff of unlimited plot armor' and the 'ring of narrative contradictions and plot hole casting'
A tadpole of "make anything you want happen, and make everything else you want irrelevant"

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
im surprised soo many people forgot about the tadpoles already even still some didnt but either way being a creature of the night would be pretty nice

Last edited by godagarah5000; 05/12/21 10:43 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
How some ppl are against it cuz "there is not day and night feature" while they seem quite ok with astarion? does that make sense? if astarion (cuz tadpole and reasons) can walk anytime of the day so would any other vampire with a tadpole in it.

veteran
veteran
Creatures of the night are a sad joke in a game where it's always day.

Even thieves are a sad joke stealing idols and whatnot in broad daylight. Amateurs.

Baldur's Gate won't be half the city it used to be without night time ambience and thugs and courtesans on the streets.

And back to the topic, no I wouldn't like playing as a vampire or werewolf in Baldur's Gate game. It can never be done properly in a game that doesn't focus entirely on that.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Anthraxid
How some ppl are against it cuz "there is not day and night feature" while they seem quite ok with astarion? does that make sense? if astarion (cuz tadpole and reasons) can walk anytime of the day so would any other vampire with a tadpole in it.

Just want to make clear, I am certainly not ok with Astarion running around in the day. It's pathetic, a creature of the night, forced to go out in the blistering sun, but yeah sure, some parasitic worm has this super convenient side-effect of fixing potential story inconsistencies and plot-holes.

veteran
veteran
I'm also not ok with Astarion's character. Astarion being a vampire doesn't bring anything meaningful to the table. Not for the story, not mechanically. He should have been a living high elf rogue and the character would have been much better for it. The whole vampire storyline would have been much more interesting and the player would have been much more invested in it if Cazador would have turned him later when you reach Baldur's Gate.

It's a cheap take on vampires having a "centuries old vampire spawn" run around as a level 1 daywalker acting all regular adventurer. The fangs, pale skin and red eyes are ever present yet no one pays any attention and calls it out. Not even the vampire hunter who is looking for him. It just diminishes the entire concept of vampires and turns it into a camp joke. It seems like they got excited about having a vampire companion and then ignored all logic and reason surrounding that character.

I like my vampires serious, horrifying and level appropriate.

Last edited by 1varangian; 06/12/21 09:49 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by 1varangian
The fangs, pale skin and red eyes are ever present yet no one pays any attention and calls it out. Not even the vampire hunter who is looking for him.

I think pale skin and red eyes could be explained otherwise, why shouldn't albinism exist in the Forgotten Realms? The fangs would be a dead giveaway for a vampire (as Astarion is definitely not a Tiefling), BUT: if there is one thing for certain for people in Faerun, it's that vampires don't run around in broad daylight. So Astarion might look like a typical vampire to Gandrel, but he can't be one, since he apparently has no problems with sunlight.
I think it would be the same as if we would see some animal running down the street that looks exactly like a T-Rex. We know it can't be a T-Rex since they are extinct, so most people would rule out that this is a real T-Rex and would search for another explanation.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
if u hate vampires so much then please take it to something where removal of vampirism is lore friendly and not something based off of dnd 5e like baldur's gate 3 dam vampire haters lmfao

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
jests aside yeah we do need a day night system for what could happened after u lose the parasite or it will suck

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard