Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I've only just begun, but I'm already getting annoyed having to send every single item I want to sell back to camp individually (I'm one of those gamers who takes literally anything) so I think we could use a dedicated hotkey or button in the inventory screen that allows us to send all items deemed a "Ware" to camp in a single press.

I even made a small little mockup for visual reference.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Great game so far, will post more feedback as I go through the game.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Good idea which could fit in well with an overall retooling of the inventory system. As I recall, items sent to camps lose their "wares" status, so that would need to change. Also, there would need to be a way to easily pick up wares from the travel chest in camp.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
veteran
veteran
I have mixed feelings about this ...

On one side i allways supported statement that people should get any option they want as long as it dont affect others ... and this certainly fit that description.

On the other hand i cant shake the feeling that hoarding wares is not purpose for send to camp. :-/
I mean why even bother with carry weight then? When we would be bypassing it by clicking single icon.

In the end i think i dislike this idea ...
In my honest opinion send to camp is feature for items you dont want to sell nor carry around. And its uses for any other purpoae is and should be tedious and anoying just so people dont abuse it .. therefore its working well as such thing.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 06/12/21 10:28 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
In my honest opinion send to camp is feature for items you dont want to sell nor carry around.

What are the things you pick up that you neither want to sell nor carry around? Why pick them up in the first place?

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
N
stranger
stranger
N
Have to agree with what some others say here, the STR stat would lose some of its utility.
Dex is already kind of the godstat of dnd and STR is sort of the stat reserved for barbarians, palas and fighters only (and even those guys can do dex builds)
When I was in the army the big dudes would always do the heavy lifting of gear and such, kind of immersive.

Last edited by Niathlak; 06/12/21 11:42 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Flooter
What are the things you pick up that you neither want to sell nor carry around? Why pick them up in the first place?
Many things ...

Personaly im sentimental for example, so i dont sell old (but good looking, or just good looking) armor, just bcs i have found better one. smile
Or my Shar Cleric never wanted to sell her Idol, so she simply put it in camp so she can admire and worship it. smile
And then all those interesting magical (or story related) items you believe they could have some uses in the future ... necormancy of They, Donis letter to his father, etc. smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Flooter
I send all the books I get to camp.😊

I would like to have an option to not have encumbrance. When Tav becomes encumbered (which is quite often for me), I move things from Tav’s inventory to a companion’s inventory, which is very tedious.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Icelyn
I would like to have an option to not have encumbrance. When Tav becomes encumbered (which is quite often for me), I move things from Tav’s inventory to a companion’s inventory, which is very tedious.
Personaly i would rather like option to set certain type of items to be given automaticly to certain party members, when "take all" is used ...

Like:
2nd > Scrolls and Books
3rd > Consumables and Food
4th > Equipment
Tav > Everything else.

AND option to start filling next member inventory once first one is full ...
We will give it to them probably anyway, so why not save some time?

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
In general, a multi-select feature in the inventory menus would be very useful (and appreciated).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Multi-select is like communism: it's a good idea, but it doesn't work. I mean, how many CRPGs have multi-select in inventory? Off the top of my head, I can't recall any (BG1 / 2 had multi-select in the shopping interface, but not in the inventory per se).

I suspect that contextual interpretation of a mouse click becomes fiendishly difficult, if not impossible. The game sees that you clicked an item, but what did you mean by that? Did you mean to pick it up? use / consume it? start multi-selection with more clicks to follow? start multi-selection by dragging a rectangle?..

I think the best approach here is to assign modifier keys for most common actions. We already have Shift+Click assigned to stack splitting (sort of); why not assign, say, Alt+Click to the "Send To Camp" action? I don't see why it won't work.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
Why not Alt+Click to select 10 items and then right-click on any one of them to bring up the menu where you can select "send to camp"? Or after they are all selected you can drag and drop them into another character's inventory.

Last edited by heuron; 07/12/21 03:02 AM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I feel like a good balance between those that want the feature and those that don't want it would be to make it an optional rule you can turn on when you begin a new game (Can't turn it off mid-game), or relegate it to a difficulty other than "Classic"

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
You make a good point, though, HappySlapp. As a matter of UX (user experience) this is certainly something the dev team should consider. It isn't really a matter of gameplay or difficulty. So, strictly from a UX perspective, this program's interface could use some refinement. Presumably, that's why we have early access, right? We are testers bringing up issues that Larian's team might not have considered because their project is so large and they have so much to think about.

The hotbar is another issue where I hope we get to see a "freeze" feature that lets us lock single squares rather than only being able to lock the whole hotbar. Being able to expand the hotbar so that we could see more of what we have in there would be great too. Maybe it could get its own page like the inventory does.

If there are people that don't like these sorts of features then we have a situation like any other software. How many features of Excel, for example, do you actually use? If there are things we don't particularly care for then we just don't use them. If this was a design change that affected gameplay then I would agree with you on optional rules. Otherwise, I think your UX suggestion is great and the only reason not to implement it is, most likely, time. Although, they can always push it out in a later (way later but hopefully not too much later) update...

addict
addict
Modern RPGs.... I WANT QUALITY OF LIFE THIS AND THAT. lol.

How about also a :

Auto battle mode button.
Best <equipment> load out button.
Dialogue skip/best outcome button.
Let the computer play while I watch button. Just call it <Tell tale> mode.

Actually, why even bother and play? Just watch recorded live streams of the game. Doesn't get any better than that for QUALITY OF LIFE CONVENIENCE. Just fast forward to whatever part you want to enjoy.

Meanwhile in my ideal RPG Im totally FOR:

NO waypoints/quick travel.
Limited inventory space.
Time. Urgency. Day/night.
Random encounters.
Arrows! Bulltes!
Limited stack-able items.
Limited RESTs. Go to an Inn, more than one camp a day you get enemy spawns on your ass.
Classes with HARD weaknesses.
Etc...

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 08/12/21 09:52 AM.
veteran
veteran
If you don't limit anything, then nothing is special or important.

If you make it so you can auto-send whatever you want to camp then why bother with encumbrance which then means why bother with picking up items you don't need at all? Why not just skip picking up hordes of loot? Why not just pick up more gold instead.

If items do no have a purpose, there is no need for them. Get rid of them from the game. If all you're going to do is sell all of a certain type of thing, and you have a way to simply store it all at the press of a button, why bother even having it? Just have the game auto-sell instead or just don't bother.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RutgerF
Multi-select is like communism: it's a good idea, but it doesn't work. I mean, how many CRPGs have multi-select in inventory? Off the top of my head, I can't recall any (BG1 / 2 had multi-select in the shopping interface, but not in the inventory per se).

Original Sin 2 has multi-select, but only for the controller-UI and mappings. People who come from that experience tend to wish it was there for keyboard also. Why not?

Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Modern RPGs.... I WANT QUALITY OF LIFE THIS AND THAT. lol.

At least we don't have to wait a 8-hour timer every time we long rest. Thankful for that quality of life skip. Nothing wrong with quality of life solutions in games. (Also, the snark isn't really appreciated.)

veteran
veteran
Seriously this is something we want in multiplayer so we can mark as Wares with shift-left click and move all the wares to a specific player (if possible) instead of moving everything manually. You want your highest Charisma player doing all the buying and selling.

This would be a huge timesaver.

OR allow us to use "Sell as wares" regardless of who is actually holding the item marked as wares. As long as its marked it can be pulled into the sell screen.

Every playthrough people make comments about this.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 08/12/21 01:42 PM.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Honestly, it's a hard thing to balance. There's nothing more annoying than inventory Management especially when there is so much useless junk that I'm managing. Multi-select would certainly make it faster and less cumbersome.

I think an Auto-sell or auto-send to camp is fine with limitations. Maybe it is restricted to certain areas so encumbrance and even picking up useless junk has some meaning and purpose.

For example, if in the goblin camp, it is disabled. If you are in Grymforge, it is disabled until the conflict there is resolved.

But then, if you do that, shouldn't you then also restrict fast travel and long rest? Ah! And here we go again. The debate continues. Should we limit fast travel, long rest and send to camp, or just let players play however they want? Why? Because all these things go together. If you restrict one, all the others must also be restricted otherwise what's the point?

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
An argument could be made that making D&D into a video game is too much quality of life...

I think when it comes to UX it can simply be left up to the user to not use the features. But, in the spirit of coming up with solutions, perhaps a "strict inventory" option could be applied that forces you to play with an even more limited carry weight, does not present you a "send to camp" option, limits the amount of items you can keep at camp, does not let you transfer items between characters during combat, etc.

I think this could end up being a mod idea. This is starting to remind me of the Skyrim "immersive" mods...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Honestly, it's a hard thing to balance. There's nothing more annoying than inventory Management especially when there is so much useless junk that I'm managing. Multi-select would certainly make it faster and less cumbersome.

I think an Auto-sell or auto-send to camp is fine with limitations. Maybe it is restricted to certain areas so encumbrance and even picking up useless junk has some meaning and purpose.

For example, if in the goblin camp, it is disabled. If you are in Grymforge, it is disabled until the conflict there is resolved.

But then, if you do that, shouldn't you then also restrict fast travel and long rest? Ah! And here we go again. The debate continues. Should we limit fast travel, long rest and send to camp, or just let players play however they want? Why? Because all these things go together. If you restrict one, all the others must also be restricted otherwise what's the point?

I can run through most content in the EA in about 6-8 hours with a strong group of 3 other people that know what they are doing. The biggest time-sink isn't the combat (which is very fun) but inventory management and selling stuff - which is just work.

With a new group I have to train people on how to handle the entire process of marking as wares and sending to people to sell (and a LOT of other stuff). This game has a HUGE learning curve as it is, and I say this as someone who has demonstrably trained legions of players.

I would emphatically discourage doing anything like what you just described to make things more complicated or difficult when it comes to inventory management. We need to do the opposite to make inventory management more painless and less time-consuming - even if it doesn't follow strict rules of having people be near each other.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 08/12/21 03:10 PM.

Blackheifer
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard