Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Hey, I've said it many times before. If it doesn't have a good purpose, why even have it in the game. If you can easily send and retrieve everything to and from camp, then encumbrance has no real purpose at all.

But if you flip the script, what's the point of making players slowly walk back to camp, dump everything, and jog back? If you don't have random encounters or anything to make travel back and forth a potential risk, then all you're doing is creating an annoyance for players.

Why would players walk back to camp ?
Is that something they are doing a lot in other cRPG ?
(Camp may be town/vendor/personnal chest)

Are you considering that everyone wants to carry absolutely everything without any management ?
If that's the theory the result is the same : remove weight.

No. I'm saying there are two options:

1. No send to camp or fast travel. Result = Players who carry too much must either painstakingly walk back to vendor or camp or they must drop excess loot, jog back, sell or dump loot, jog back to where they left excess loot, pick it up, painstakingly jog back, sell or dump, then jog back again if they want to pick up and sell everything. So, what's the penalty? The player still sells or dumps everything, but it takes a lot longer and is totally annoying. Why? Because there is nothing to jump out and stop them. No random encounters makes this pointless. If there is no risk involved and the only penalty is being annoyed, then this is just not fun or meaningful at all.

2. Fast Travel and Send to Camp. Result = Encumbrance is pointless. If I can just send all excess gear to camp whenever and wherever I want then I will never become encumbered, and all that excess loot, again, is just an annoyance for me. I have to right click on a ton of items and Send to Camp one at a time painstakingly and annoyingly. And if encumbrance is pointless then picking up and carrying gear that has no mechanical use during your adventure is then also pointless. I mean, if all you're going to do is sell all that useless junk anyway, or use it to decorate camp, just auto-send to camp and be done or why not just give players more gold and less items to manage and sell? Then have useless junk at the vendors for people who want to buy it and decorate camp with it.

So what's the solution? I'm annoyed either way. That is my point. What's the solution? No idea. I've tried suggesting a few, and no one really likes any of them... And frankly I'm not sure they're great either.

veteran
veteran
There are a lot of games without "send to camp" and "fast travel" in which your point 1 isn't a problem.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 12/12/21 02:08 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
There are a lot of games without "send to camp" and "fast travel" in which your point 1 isn't a problem.

I guess it depends on your point of view. I'm all for immersion. I am. But annoying mechanics without real purpose other than to just annoy me is not fun. I think Skyrim, for example, is annoying when I become encumbered and have to either drop loot or walk super slow back to a merchant. Ugh! Go to merch, sell, go back, pick up the rest I left behind, go back to merch, sell...

Pathfinder's mechanics were kinda just annoying too. Drop all your heaviest gear, but when you leave the dungeon you can pick it all up again. Then dump the heaviest gear on the next game map and pick it all up again when leaving. Sure, you exceed some sort of threshold and have to dump just enough to be able to travel, so you might have to leave maybe a 100 gp worth of armor just to travel from the area, but it's still a lot of senseless, pointless item juggling. The end result is still the same. I go back to the merchant and sell all the useless junk for gold. What was the penalty for carrying too much? I, the player, was annoyed by having to juggle useless junk to try to make it work so I could get as much back to the merchant as possible.

That said, Pathfinder DOES have another penalty that makes sense. Encumbrance exhausts characters faster. Ah! Now we have a mechanic that makes some gameplay sense. This is one of the best solutions I could find. Too much weight starts to tire you and give your characters penalties to their rolls. The longer you are encumbered, the faster you become exhausted.

So, let's say we did something like this in BG3. Give characters Stamina Points based on Constitution score. Every time they Send to Camp or Fast Travel, a certain number of Stamina is lost, indicating that they manually traveled back to camp or the merchant or wherever, and time passed. The more distance traveled, the more Stamina lost. If encumbered when you fast travel or send to camp, more Stamina is used up. Then, when stamina is depleted, the characters start to suffer penalties. -1 to all rolls. -2 to all rolls when next exhausted level reached, etc. Short or long rest then recovers lost stamina. Food is expended when you do this, making food important to carry on you so you can short rest and recover stamina. Oh, and unlimit short rests and use food as the limit... And/or hit Dice.

This would make players stop and think and strategize. Should they just drop all that excess loot that only gives them 1 GP each, should they spend the stamina to lug it back to a merchant or camp?

Last edited by GM4Him; 12/12/21 03:16 PM.
H
journeyman
journeyman
H
Food required for short rest is a good idea. It means the player can carry food all the time just in case they need a short rest. The food would act as an inventory slot limiter by the fact that it weighs something and will cause players to reach the carry weight limit faster.

If players want to play a bit more risky they can forgo the food for more carry weight. If you can only fast travel when standing in front of a rune, or other designated fast travel point, you wouldn't be able to rely on fast travel to get to safety anymore. In some situations it might be necessary to hunt for food and short rest rather than try to make it to a rune.

veteran
veteran
I think Skyrim, for example, is annoying when I become encumbered and have to either drop loot or walk super slow back to a merchant. Ugh! Go to merch, sell, go back, pick up the rest I left behind, go back to merch, sell...
I had the same problem ...
Until i find out that in Skyrim when you buy a horse and left him at start (or end, if you know where it is) of dungeon ... you then need to slowly walk just to that horse, and when you mount him no matter how much overburdened you are, you are able to fast travel again. smile
This become even easier with Dawnguard, when you learn to summon your horse. wink

Just saying. smile

So, let's say we did something like this in BG3. Give characters Stamina Points based on Constitution score. Every time they Send to Camp or Fast Travel, a certain number of Stamina is lost, indicating that they manually traveled back to camp or the merchant or wherever, and time passed. The more distance traveled, the more Stamina lost. If encumbered when you fast travel or send to camp, more Stamina is used up. Then, when stamina is depleted, the characters start to suffer penalties. -1 to all rolls. -2 to all rolls when next exhausted level reached, etc. Short or long rest then recovers lost stamina. Food is expended when you do this, making food important to carry on you so you can short rest and recover stamina. Oh, and unlimit short rests and use food as the limit... And/or hit Dice.
I like this idea! A lot actualy ...
I would only like to add that stamina should be used for regular traveling aswell ... i mean it would not make much sence if you spend *xy* points of stamina to fast travel from Grove to Goblin Camp ... but none for manualy travel the same distance. smile

But besides that +1!

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I think Skyrim, for example, is annoying when I become encumbered and have to either drop loot or walk super slow back to a merchant. Ugh! Go to merch, sell, go back, pick up the rest I left behind, go back to merch, sell...
I had the same problem ...
Until i find out that in Skyrim when you buy a horse and left him at start (or end, if you know where it is) of dungeon ... you then need to slowly walk just to that horse, and when you mount him no matter how much overburdened you are, you are able to fast travel again. smile
This become even easier with Dawnguard, when you learn to summon your horse. wink

Just saying. smile

I like this idea! A lot actualy ...
I would only like to add that stamina should be used for regular traveling aswell ... i mean it would not make much sence if you spend *xy* points of stamina to fast travel from Grove to Goblin Camp ... but none for manualy travel the same distance. smile

But besides that +1!

Oh yes. Exactly. Regular travel and even combat, jumping... Not an overtaxing stamina point loss for them, but slowly chipping away the more you go. So, just an example... Not saying this would work exactly, but something like it... You have Constitution of 12. You have 120 Stamina Points. Moving 300 feet costs 1. Jump costs 1. Jump that requires a roll costs 5. Combat costs 10 per round. You're at Blighted Village. You Fast Travel to Grove. 10 used or whatever. You're encumbered. Point values double.

Something like that.

And wow. We agreed on something. Yay! First time for everything. 😁

Last edited by GM4Him; 12/12/21 06:16 PM.
veteran
veteran
Well it was not first time but im allways happy seeing you think it was first time. laugh

Now, futher question ...
How fast should that stamina deplenish? O_o

I mean ... concidering how fast our companions start to complain that this was exhausting day and they "cant wait to rest". :-/
That would be probably too fast.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran

I guess it depends on your point of view. I'm all for immersion. I am. But annoying mechanics without real purpose other than to just annoy me is not fun. I think Skyrim, for example, is annoying when I become encumbered and have to either drop loot or walk super slow back to a merchant. Ugh! Go to merch, sell, go back, pick up the rest I left behind, go back to merch, sell...

Pathfinder's mechanics were kinda just annoying too. Drop all your heaviest gear, but when you leave the dungeon you can pick it all up again. Then dump the heaviest gear on the next game map and pick it all up again when leaving. Sure, you exceed some sort of threshold and have to dump just enough to be able to travel, so you might have to leave maybe a 100 gp worth of armor just to travel from the area, but it's still a lot of senseless, pointless item juggling. The end result is still the same. I go back to the merchant and sell all the useless junk for gold. What was the penalty for carrying too much? I, the player, was annoyed by having to juggle useless junk to try to make it work so I could get as much back to the merchant as possible.

That said, Pathfinder DOES have another penalty that makes sense. Encumbrance exhausts characters faster. Ah! Now we have a mechanic that makes some gameplay sense. This is one of the best solutions I could find. Too much weight starts to tire you and give your characters penalties to their rolls. The longer you are encumbered, the faster you become exhausted.

This would make players stop and think and strategize. Should they just drop all that excess loot that only gives them 1 GP each, should they spend the stamina to lug it back to a merchant or camp?

TBH I don't remember how it was when I played Skyrim... The only thing I remember is that the inventory menus are the worst I've ever seen.
But I NEVER experienced what you described in Pathfinder or in any other games... It's the first time I ever read such a tedious "trick".

Last edited by Maximuuus; 12/12/21 07:36 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran

TBH I don't remember how it was when I played Skyrim... The only thing I remember is that the inventory menus are the worst I've ever seen.
But I NEVER experienced what you described in Pathfinder or in any other games... It's the first time I ever read such a tedious "trick".

Oh yeah. I noticed right away. I found the secret armory and got encumbered real fast in Pathfinder. Couldn't carry much, so had to leave a ton behind because my characters were walking real slow when we're supposed to be rushing to get to the bible lady Jumandi or whatever.

Get to end of level. Want to pick up everything you left or leave it?

Pick it up. Drop it next game map. Run around like normal without being slowed down. End map. Want to pick it all up? Sure! Travels to Outpost. Walk real slow. Sell everything. All set. Penalty? Just make you walk painfully slow until you reach the merchant.

Skyrim... There was even a meme. Skyrim guy running like normal with a gazillion gear on his back. Picks up flower. Falls over. Too heavy to walk.

veteran
veteran
You're looting every trash weapons and armors aren't you ?

veteran
veteran

Of course. I just crashed on a beach with a tadpole in my head. I'm in full blown survival mode. Who knows how much money I might need to pay someone to remove this thing from my head or even just to survive in the wilderness? So yes I'm picking up everything if I can and selling it because I think I might need it.

veteran
veteran
I have a no loot left behind policy. grin

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
Originally Posted by Icelyn
I have a no loot left behind policy. grin

I wanted to be a traveling merchant.

veteran
veteran
My daughter and wife are the same. I ask, "Wanna pick that..."

"Of course," says my wife. "I've told you before. I want to pick up ALL the things."

And my daughter says, "But why Daddy? Why would you leave and not pick up the shiny things? Why would you not search the practically glowing boxie? Don't you like the boxie? Papa! Papa! Why do you hate me, Papa?"

veteran
veteran
My daughter and wife are the same. I ask, "Wanna pick that..."

"Of course," says my wife. "I've told you before. I want to pick up ALL the things."

And my daughter says, "But why Daddy? Why would you leave and not pick up the shiny things? Why would you not search the practically glowing boxie? Don't you like the boxie? Papa! Papa! Why do you hate me, Papa?"
up

A
addict
addict
A
I don't care about weapons and armor, but I tend to hoard books and any items that caught my attention, regardless of whether they are useful. My bag of holding in BG2 was filled to brim with trash. 😁

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard