Originally Posted by heuron
Originally Posted by GM4Him
A lot of us bought the game thinking we were getting good ol' fashioned D&D

Would you agree, then, that the root of the problem is in Larian's marketing of the game and they should say that BG3 is only "inspired by D&D"?

From the BG3 page on Steam:

Evolved turn-based combat,
based on the D&D 5e ruleset. Team-based initiative, advantage & disadvantage, and roll modifiers join combat cameras, expanded environmental interactions, and a new fluidity in combat that rewards strategy and foresight.

I think "based on the D&D 5e ruleset" sounds to me like I should expect them to implement the D&D 5e ruleset. I can imagine myself feeling upset by this; tricked, even, if I was familiar with the 5e ruleset.

Why? Did you see the LotR movies? Did you like them? Have you read the books? The movies are based on the books, but they are not a 1 to 1 translation. Stuff was left out, stuff was added, stuff was swapped around, but they were still wildly successful.

As hands on as Hasbro/WotC are with this IP, if they weren't happy with how it was being translated to a video game, they'd be calling for corrections. They were being sued by the original creators of the Dragonlance series for breach of contract because of their hands on approach. If "well, you're not staying close enough to the rules" was how they felt about it, they could easily pull the plug.