Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by heuron
I once got stuck in a loop where one character kept getting downed while I used another to help them back up to 1 hp.
Yes, I had encounters where 3 companions would constanty get downed and helped back up, while one was doing actual killing. While silly, I wouldn't want it removed without some major rebalancing to the combat experience.

To me,(talking purely from my experience in BG3, with little knowledge on how it works in PnP), it would make more sense if "help" would stabilize compaions (stop them from bleeding out) but not revive them back to combat (perhaps medicide check on help? if failed they are just stabilisided, if succesful they get up with one HP)- gringing them back up would require spell or healing item.

Here again the pure 5e rules would stop that and a party of 6 would balance combat out so 1 or 2 downed companions wouldn't likely mean game over and reload. 5e rules would make it so a character would have to make a Medicine roll to stabilize downed characters. Not bring them back into combat with 1 HP. That is what potions and healing spells are for.

So, again, the 5e rules provide meaning and significance to various game elements. Potions and healing spells are more valuable because downed allies can not only be stabilized and kept from death, but they can bring them back into the fight. Medicine also gains a bigger value boost, making it so much more important because now it may literally mean life or death for allies to have a higher Medicine skill.

All they'd have to do is implement the 5e rules and make it so that instead of throwing potions, a person can administer a potion to a downed character if they are at touch range. So, instead of Help = instant 1 HP, you click on the Help button and several options appear. One is to administer a Health Potion. One is to Stabilize. One is to add advantage to an ally's roll. This would make Help so much more valuable and meaningful in the game and less a broken mechanic that people can use to spam waking up a fallen companion just to keep enemies busy. I'm also missing the Help providing advantage option, which it should have.