Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#804755 01/01/22 05:47 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I've seen this mentioned a lot of places but can't really find a reference here in this forum so...

The entire "obscured by shadows" concept is completely busted in this game. Firstly, unless the target is completely unseen, which is invisible or fully obscured (i.e. darkness or fog), there is no disadvantage applied in 5e. Shadows are dim light and only give disadvantage to perception checks, not attack rolls. Secondly, a creature can be standing directly next to a light source, be holding an item lit by the light cantrip, or have dancing lights on top of them and yet still be "obscured by shadows" which is wholly ridiculous. This is a gaping problem in a combat system that is so environmentally dependent.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by WebSpyder
Secondly, a creature can be standing directly next to a light source, be holding an item lit by the light cantrip, or have dancing lights on top of them and yet still be "obscured by shadows" which is wholly ridiculous. This is a gaping problem in a combat system that is so environmentally dependent.
This is just matter of last patch, in previous light sources were working better ...
Personaly i guess since whole game get HUGE graphic upgrade, something went wrong with mapping.

First part (disadvantage in shadow) is present since first patch as far as i know, and is probably intentional. frown

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
S
S
I think the dancing lights will be fixed. You can not successfully stealth under dancing lights right now when there is an enemy around, which makes sense. Larian is also aware (see the last Panel from Hell) that stealthing with torches and light is a bit weird.

Keep in mind that 3/4 of my group had darkvision so I can not talk too much but I guess dungeons and Underdark where the light is very scant can grant obscured by shadows. There is no need to make the whole scene pitch black just because your character can't see well. Although it was a bit weird at Grymforge to get obscured by shadows while you are standing next to a burning lava (I did notice that).

Last edited by Scales & Fangs; 01/01/22 07:33 PM.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
First part (disadvantage in shadow) is present since first patch as far as i know, and is probably intentional. frown

While it may be intentional, what it feels like to someone who actually plays DND is that they have made the common mistake of misinterpreting 5e rules. Much like they have with the critical fails on skill checks. While I get that translations from tabletop to computer will never be exact, specifically opting to implement rules in a way that is very often misinterpreted in tabletop is just a bad look all around.

veteran
veteran
Yeah im not arguing about that ... just wanted to point out that this isnt new problem. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown

Link Copied to Clipboard