Originally Posted by GM4Him
Long Rest = Unlimited by default. Option to make it Restricted. Can only Long Rest at certain Rest Areas like Emerald Grove. (You might say this isn't a RAW 5e rule. However, no DM would allow players to just randomly long rest whenever they want wherever they want without some sort of consequence or restriction at all. "Say, Mr. DM. We just killed a goblin leader. Hmmm. But we're pretty banged up. Can we Long Rest right now inside their goblin base?" "No! Are you insane?" says the DM. "There're goblins all around you, and they're super pissed. Get out and then I'll maybe let you find a safe place to rest.")

Shove = Bonus action by default. Option to make it an Action like the 5e rules state. Why? Because I can literally shove someone off a cliff and kill them and then run up to another enemy and attack them with my sword and kill them; effectively killing two enemies in one round. Oh, and btw, the enemies can do that to you too BEFORE you can even act. This very seemingly small thing completely throws off combat, making it more volatile especially as you gain higher levels. 3 out of 4 times when I start the Githyanki Patrol fight, they are attacking twice AND still doing things like shoving my characters around; 3 actions, basically, in one round, and since they are standardly fast, that means they are usually having at least one or two go first, seriously beating the snot out of my characters even before I get a chance to go once. Cutting down on these kinds of homebrews limits both players and enemies more, thus stabilizing combat better and balancing it out better. But, again, I'm only asking for the option so I can play a more stable, realistic combat without enemies making two or three attacks per turn (shove also being an attack whether you call it an attack or not).

Scrolls = Unrestricted by default. Option to make them restricted by class per 5e rules. Again, this adds value to the different types of casters. Clerics being the only ones who are able to use healing scrolls, especially revives, makes them SO much more valuable to the party. If you even have a cleric sitting at camp and you didn't bring them with, but you know you can go get them and bring them to a dead companion to rez them, that cleric is still a very valuable member of the party to have around. If anyone can rez, clerics are less valuable.

Attunement of Items = Unrestricted by default. Option to make it so that you have to attune per standard 5e rules in order to use certain items effectively. This prevents characters from just combing through their inventory and selecting any old item whenever they might need it to use in a particular fight. You have to be more strategic about which items you attune your characters to so that you aren't just willy-nilly grabbing the flaming sword to use against an enemy who is weak to fire and then in the next couple of rounds pulling out your ice sword and using it because you're now fighting an ice vulnerable monster. You might have to strategically spread your items out around your party, making sure at least someone has an item that is of fire and someone has an item of ice and so on and so forth so that you are working as a team instead of just solo-ing everything in the game because you can switch to just the right item whenever you need it. (Again, though, just asking for the option.)

Jump = Crazy Larian jumping 30 feet distances over people's heads by default. Option to make it so that my characters jump actual normal distances per 5e rules so they aren't jumping over people's heads like super heroes, and their distances align with movement speed, not allowing to add additional distance beyond normal movement speed.

Shoving distance = Able to shove someone 300+ feet down a pit in certain areas by default. Option to only allow characters to shove characters 5 feet, like in the 5e rules. Also, ability to shove prone, or both combined. Why? Because ridiculously unrealistic shove distances make the game more volatile. I was literally tossed 300 or more feet by a drow in the Underdark and still somehow my character survived with 1 HP. I was a good 10-15 feet from the edge, but the drow still shoved me off the edge and I continued to soar further away and down to a lower level. That character was SO far from the battle, she never got back into it by the time it was over, all because of the ridiculous shove distances. You all might like that, but I'd like some realistic 5 feet distances please (monsters and characters with greater strength naturally receiving some additional distance since it makes sense that they are stronger and could therefore throw someone further.)

Shall I go on? Over and over again, Larian has stretch or changed the rules. The game barely even seems like D&D because of it.

So, again, I ask... are we really playing a game based on D&D 5e? Hmmm. I guess in the sense that it is called D&D 5e with D&D 5e monster names and appearances and characters are called clerics and rogues and fighters and druids, but the point is that there are so many differences that we are not really playing D&D 5e. Are we?

Hello fellow GM !

I used to view things the same way you do. I was shocked by the systematic advantage of high ground, the jump which bypassed AoO, the lack of disengage system, the fact that you could eat while in combat getting back hp or the fact that you could throw healing potions on your companions to heal them... I was pissed off. But they arranged all that and I am a quite relieved. So THANK YOU LARIAN (and I positively changed my reviews of the game on internet because of that) It is ok for my if if is not perfect from a D&D5 perspective, but, I would like to comment on your feedbacks :

SCROLLS = Unrestricted by default. Option to make them restricted by class per 5e rules.
+100 : it is so true, and it is the biggest issue currently for me. And also, it would be great to get super treasures for the wizard : a spellbook at times, from which you can learn new spells as per the rules !!!! (it is so D&D !)

Long Rest = Option to make it Restricted. Can only Long Rest at certain Rest Areas like Emerald Grove.
+1 for me : that, or make random encounters !

Shove = Bonus action by default. Option to make it an Action like the 5e rules state.
+0.75 yes, it is too powerful compared to other actions. We could argue that it is very fast to shove someone, and more realistic, and maybe they might change that in D&D5.5

Attunement of Items = Unrestricted by default. Option to make it so that you have to attune per standard 5e rules in order to use certain items effectively.
+1

Jump = Crazy Larian jumping 30 feet distances over people's heads by default.
Yes, but now I think thet can't change it because many locations are designed already and only accessible with this jump range. However, they can still reduce a bit the range of jumps in fights and it will be more realistic !

Shoving distance = Option to only allow characters to shove characters 5 feet, like in the 5e rules.
+1

And yes, still TOO MANY potions and scrolls !

Last edited by Lunar Dante; 14/01/22 06:15 PM. Reason: mispell