Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RutgerF
The problem (at least in CRPGs, such as NWN 2 and IWD 2) was that these games were balanced in such a way that you wanted to keep your party perma-buffed, otherwise any encounter, however simple, could end up in a disaster. Around mid- to late game, buffing the party was becoming such a chore (I had to do it after every long rest) that I found myself rushing towards the end, just to cut down on this tedious stuff. Not fun at all.

So yeah, after playing countless hours of 3.5e, my personal opinion is that the game should be balanced around an un-buffed party, and if you find an encounter difficult, you can sacrifice a spell slot or two (or a couple of potions) to tip the scales in your favour. From what I see, 5e has (mostly) fulfilled that.

I feel you, the pre-buffing chore was tedious in the infinity engine games (BG, IWD) too, some of the better AI scripting in the EE fixed that though but the issue remains. Def not arguing to go back to that but on the other hand I think the indirect effect making potions in general bland and only available as stat boost for strenght is a pity. Just make them ultra rare or reduce the stat boost magnitude, duration or something but the idea of a magical world were potions only serve to heal, invisibility and cure diseases is very bland IMO and a step back from the wonderful fantastic world filled with rare-exotic potions -which admittedly have only very situational uses.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
I mean, you need food for resting, and that right there is a reason to constantly be checking boxes.
Dunno ... i had so many Supply Bags so i didnt even used them all, therefore i also never needed even single piece of regular food. laugh

But yeah, i get the urge to at least look everywhere ...
I have this condition asweel, but i also dont mind doing that at all. laugh

I mean this is what we asked for isnt it? :P
We wanted immersion ... there is immersion, enjoy. laugh

There is a huge difference between immersion and tedium. This is tedium. There is nothing immersive about 10s of empty containers that you have to individually scrounge through. In the blighted village apothecary there are 22 separate containers in just the room with the trap door. This doesn't count the plethora of loose loot items laying around that don't even bother to show up with an alt press and can often be difficult to target. Even worse is the fact that you have situations (like in the aforementioned apothecary) where you have a bookcase container... with individual book stack containers... and individual bottle rack containers. Try hard much? And back to the loose items. Attempting to pick up loose items next to each other that results in your character running around multiple sides of a counter - adding to both the aggravation and just nonsense that is looting in this game. Yes, lets waste time and processing power animating a character running circles around a table to pick up items. That's oh so immersive.

I get why, from a programming standpoint, the herb hangers are containers... but you can tell at a glance if herbs are hanging on an herb hanger. You don't have to walk across a room and touch the hanger to tell.

There are numerous instances of "can't reach" items still in the game that can't be reached no matter how much you futz around with boxes and whatnot. Again, tedious. Even worse - items that my dwarf can't reach but that another, taller character can. Ok, fine, I get it. Dwarves, halflings, gnomes, etc. are short. It is "realistic" that a taller character can reach that top shelf. It is also tedious to expect us to change characters then have to move inventory around using an already annoying inventory system.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by WebSpyder
you have to
Thats the cool part ... you dont. smile

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by WebSpyder
you have to