Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by RutgerF
Ah, so you like your characters being thrown into lava with 100% success, then.
No, I hate it. I would.be most happy with shove being more faithful to 5e ruleset with shorter push distance and fullaxtion cost.

I should have made a quotation in my previous post to indicate that it was response to the idea for shove distance being decided by a roll. Making the distance of the shove a result of RNG I think is a bad idea.
I see. Well, I don't like it either, pretty much for the same reason, and that's why I suggested the proficiency approach instead:
Originally Posted by RutgerF
Rolls should determine who wins the Athletics contest. The distance should can be determined by Athletics (STR modifier + Athletics proficiency / expertise, if any), and maybe size category difference (say, +5 feet per unit of difference). Even Lae'zel with STR 18 can't really shove an ogre much, if at all. However she should have a much better chance sending a halfling or a goblin flying (not far, and it has to be a very low altitude flight, but still).
So, full formula could look like this:

[Shove Distance in feet] = 5 + k * ( [Athletics] + b * [Creature size difference] ),

where k and b are konstants that can be tweaked. Also, I think that [Creature size difference] should work both ways, that is, it can be negative when a goblin tries to shove a medium-sized character, or human tries to shove an ogre.