Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Colt_Coffey
I could listen to that silky smooth voice all day. I love it.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
The narrator for bg3 is meh. I've heard better. And, some worse. But, not a top 10 narrator.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Volourn
The narrator for bg3 is meh. I've heard better. And, some worse. But, not a top 10 narrator.
Worst narrator I can think of is the guy who did the Alan Smithee cut of David Lynch's Dune.

apprentice
apprentice
I think the voice is too comical, to be honest. Whenever I hear her talking about Mind Flayers it all just sounds deeply unserious, like she is trying to keep a straight face while speaking.

I'm not expecting Leonard Nimoy level narration, but I think this VA was a mistake.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel

Bloody hell, some writers really know how to drag a joke into the ground.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
Online Confused
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
Bloody hell, some writers really know how to drag a joke into the ground.
Well, it IS post DA:O/ME2 Bioware.

old hand
old hand
I could swear I've answered this question befo- yep, there I am. Haven't changed my mind, still don't like the narration.

veteran
veteran
I love the narrator voice.

enthusiast
enthusiast
BG3 narrator is absolute 10/10 brilliance. And it's not smug at all, rather playful.

On par with PoE 2 narrator, which is also genius and PoE 1 Durance voice acting.

veteran
veteran
I've also been here before. I like the narrator's voice.

Yes, the tone is similar to one you would hear in chocolate ads but it works with the whole "evil is seductive" theme of the story. And with the sort of bad guys we're dealing with - vampires, mind flayers, gnolls, dwarf-eating goblins - it also seems that evil is hungry so chocolate ad voice works.

The second set of outtakes:

B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
I started this thread and I have to say her voice has grown on me 😆 I was probably in a bad mood or something!

veteran
Online Confused
veteran
Originally Posted by ladydub
On par with PoE 2 narrator, which is also genius and PoE 1 Durance voice acting.
I thought Ashley did a splendid job as a narration, but she got a fair share of criticism with main points being: 1) she spole to slow for some folks 2) didn't sound enough like a sterotypical old male narrator.

My stance also didn't change since my old post - I don't mind her, I also don't love her. I don't think it has anything to do with her performance. I have heard recently how Larian wanted the narrator to feel like DM sitting in front of you. I think that's main issue I have, but it's not exclusive to narration. A few of Larian's choices take me out of the world, instead of immersing me in it. Having a narrator in a cinematic game feels counter productive - it's like having scene descriptions while watching the movie. Not that the game doesn't need those - at least in EA cinematics aren't very effective in communicating much of anything. But if you need narrator to explain what your cinematics are meant to convey, than what's the point of having the cinematics... and we thus run in circles.

Hopefully, when we get the 1.0 it all feels like a style, rather than awkward meld of conflicting ideas as it did in EA.

Last edited by Wormerine; 01/08/23 05:02 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Oh hey.

"We live in horny jail. You can't send us there, we have the keys!"

Last edited by CerusSerenade; 01/08/23 05:31 PM.

"This woman has come in contact with Tokyo's manga. She is Unclean and would lead we righteous ones astray."
veteran
veteran
Best one yet. Dammit, now I have a parasocial attraction to Amelia Tyler

veteran
Online Confused
veteran
Was the an Archer reference?

veteran
veteran
I like the narrator’s voice! Because the pc is silent, I sometimes start thinking of the narrator as my character’s voice.😜

apprentice
apprentice
I do like the female voice, actually prefer it, but it just hit me: it feels more like a storybook reading and less like narrating an exciting video game adventure. The whole Mindflayer scene sounded like Hansel and Gretel. ''And then the Mindflayer reached out with its tentacle, and a crumb of bread fell on the floor. ''Oh no'' cried Shadowheart For it had eaten the last of their party supplies whole.

It's entirely possible they rewrote the script so it will sound less Grimm Brothers next time. It's really more the style than the quality of the voice.

enthusiast
enthusiast
At times I find the narration intrusive. One example is when the slug crawls out of Ed's eye and if you go about trying to squish it, you get "But it's too precious, isn't it?" I'm fine with it being a struggle to squish it, but the narration not only doesn't add anything to the scene for me, it detracts from it. Like Palpatine egging Luke to continue doing what he was fixing to do anyway, which did nothing but make Luke stop and reconsider.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by branmakmuffin
At times I find the narration intrusive. One example is when the slug crawls out of Ed's eye and if you go about trying to squish it, you get "But it's too precious, isn't it?" I'm fine with it being a struggle to squish it, but the narration not only doesn't add anything to the scene for me, it detracts from it. Like Palpatine egging Luke to continue doing what he was fixing to do anyway, which did nothing but make Luke stop and reconsider.

I'm okay with that scene. It lets me know that I'm feeling an influence, and explains the need for a roll. I've heard others also mention they're not fans of that scene, though, so I guess there's a pretty big bridge between tastes on this one.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by JandK
I'm okay with that scene. It lets me know that I'm feeling an influence, and explains the need for a roll. I've heard others also mention they're not fans of that scene, though, so I guess there's a pretty big bridge between tastes on this one.
I am fine with being made aware that squishing the slug is a struggle, I just don't like the way the narration goes about doing it.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard