Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Push, Drag, or Lift. You can push, drag, or lift a weight in pounds up to twice your carrying capacity (or 30 times your Strength score). While pushing or dragging weight in excess of your carrying capacity, your speed drops to 5 feet.
[...]
So, I agree. This doesn't really make sense. If the average person has a Strength of 10, they can lift 300 lbs? I can hardly lift 25 lbs. There's no way I could lift 300 even if I REALLY put my back into it. And that would mean that the average person could easily pick up and throw a person who weighs more than Homer Simpson (who weighs like 230 lbs, if I remember correctly).
[...]
I don't get what they were smoking when they made up that rule. Maybe fireman's carry or something. Maybe.
By "Lift" it does seem like they meant "at all possible to carry while retaining some mobility" So yes, thinking of a fireman's carry is more appropriate than thinking of just lifting something with your arms.

Most people can carry another person - piggyback or fireman's carry - and still move at least at a walk. Generously, you could extend this to maybe 1.5x another person -> which on average would get up to ~230 lbs. This gets close to 300lbs, though a difference of 70lbs is still a lot!

But of course there's a big difference between "carry" and "throw 10+ feet."

Ok. After some thought, I guess it depends, again, on definition. What is Average? In D&D, the average person, Strength 10, is likely more active and strong than the average person I know. I mean, people in medieval times didn't have the luxury of sitting around watching TV and playing video games.

So, average farmer man or fisherman could probably lift 300 lbs maximum. I guess I have to face it, if most of the people I know were D&D characters, they'd probably have Strength 8 or 9... Maybe even lower. 😔