Originally Posted by 1varangian
Originally Posted by LukasPrism
On that note I’ve noticed this patch goes all-in on the homebrew magic items. I’d rather they put in more of the iconic DMG items first before doing that.
Bit off topic I guess but I noticed this too. Well on topic since Helmet of Grit gives you an extra Shove.

I don't know why they are homebrewing all this gimmicky junk now with conditions like "when below 50% hp" or "when you heal someone", or sets with "lightning charges". Why can't an axe simply have +1 to damage instead of +1d4 when you are below 50% HP? Why can't Firestoker simply add +1 fire damage and shoot burning bolts instead of +1d4 piercing damage to burning targets. These conditions are too clever for their own good.

I like D&D magic items precisely because they are rare and special. It's a breath of fresh air from the monotonous gear grind in video games like Divinity or Dragon Age where magic items have no significance or character.

Agreed.

And honestly, I'm still not sure if even what I came up with is good. It's still too broken, really. Duergar, for example, would be able to Enlarge and become Large in size. So they could essentially throw ALL our characters without us throwing them. Shove would also be less effective against them, but they could still shove hard into lava.

I guess that's what makes them unique, but all I can think is that the legit RAW 5e rules still reign in this regard, nerfing shove so you can't push people easily off ledges and 1-hit KO them.