Bring on the Epic levels.

veteran
veteran
I hope we can be level 30.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Being a (demi)god could be interesting but as a DLC after the main campaign.

T
Banned
Banned
T
This game is set originally to max level 10. Expectations should be kept realistic. I hope max level is 10-13 maximum at full relase. I have played World of Warcraft MMO when it was World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King newest expansion as released and I get it all about getting to max level and power and Raids and such stuff.

Dungeons Dragons is different it is more about slow levelup and a glorious journey an adventure. Personally I have never liked high level stuff in DnD though yes played BG2.

"
I am totally against max level 20. I have played also Pen and Paper Dungeons Dragons. I do like level 1-13...
I guess max level is 10-15.
Max level in BG1 was level 7.

I guess that in full release max level is 10-15. Example maybe max level is 12. Another think if they would do this more time and I want full release in Janurary-June 2023... hopefully full release in January-Mars 2023.
Please I do not want max level and then full release in 2024 thank you.
"

Now could they later increase max level? Of course maybe after full release there will be an expansion at some point, but as for now I only wait for full release.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 20/02/22 01:35 PM.
veteran
veteran
The most realistic guess is level 12 in my honest opinion ...
I mean we were told that original max level has ben 10 ... later Swen told us it would be some more and they dont yet know how much more ... so "at least 11" would be logical to presume ...

Now when you look at features table, all every class gets on level 12 is just another Ability score incerase ... and some gets additional resources (like Barbarian who gets 5th rage) ... that would mean level 12 means litteraly no additional work ...
So i dare to say there is nothing holding Larian back to implement it aswell.

Look futher tho, and you see that on level 13 many casters get acess to another spell level ... namely Wizard gets acess to spells level 7 ... that alone can be reason for not implementing the level. :-/
Bcs it means whole bunch of final game spells you have to implement, yet another reballancing the game bcs there are quite huge steppes between spell levels in matter of power, and simmilar stuff ...
In short: Lot of work. laugh

Now, if you remember when Druid was introduced Swen litteraly told us that Nick wanted to include Dinosaurs in the game at least as Wildshapes ... and Swen borbided it, since that would mean a lot of additional work, i believe his exact wording was "we would like to also ship this game someday" or something simmilar, dont quote me here. laugh
So if they had to exclude some low-level features ... it seems quite logical, that top-level ones gets the same threatment.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
old hand
Your English trounces all over my Czech.

T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I mean we were told that original max level has ben 10 ... later Swen told us it would be some more and they dont yet know how much more ... so "at least 11" would be logical to presume ...
Yes level 12 as max level is very good smile. Perhaps level 13... or 11 level as max level.

Now could they later increase max level? Of course maybe after full release there will be an expansion at some point, but as for now I only wait for full release.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 20/02/22 01:43 PM.
veteran
veteran
For reference, the tiers of play in 5e.

Originally Posted by "Dungeons and Dragons"
1st—Levels 1 to 4: Local Heroes.
2nd—5 to 10: Heroes of the Realm.
3rd—11 to 17: Masters of the Realm.
4th—17 to 20: Masters of the World.

Level 11+ already means a legendary hero or villain, king, master wizard etc. For the setting to make sense, you can't have levels 11+ parties running around everywhere. They start to require very specific content because they are recognized as Masters of the Realm.

And Larian has to include sensible ways to deal with high level players who decide to attack everyone in Baldur's Gate or a similar location. Simply making all guardsmen suddenly level 9+ isn't a sensible solution.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Terminator2020
Perhaps level 13... or 11 level as max level.
They both seem unprobable to me ...

13 means lot of additional work ...
And 11 means stoping right before important milestone, you could get for free bcs all you need was allready implemented.

There is ofcourse also that horrible possibility that we will get max level and max level per class ... effectively forcing us to multiclass by the end of the game. :-/
But i really hope this will never the the case.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 20/02/22 02:09 PM.

old hand
old hand
No response? Ouch.

journeyman
journeyman
Considering a year ago it was said that 10 was the max (though that has been changed) I highly doubt we'll be able to get to level 20, at least base game. If there's an expansion or sequel, however, I think level 20 would be par the course.

"I used my last magic poo to check in on my daughter." Scanlan Shorthalt.
veteran
veteran
-1 for level 20. Level 12 or 14 would be great.

a.) I dislike leveling up too fast, as then I don't have time to get comfortable with certain abilities before I'm presented with more. This is especially egregious for party-based RPGs where you have more characters = less time to become familiar with each character and more time spent on the level up screens.
b.) The sweet spot for D&D play is levels 5-13. Balancing level 20 play in a video game format where you can't tailor encounters to specific party compositions sounds terrible. Plus, many of the more-creative and fun high level spells will have to be severely nerfed. And encounters will become either rocket tag or have bullet sponge enemies.
c.) Dealing with 4+ characters' level 20 abilities will be a huge hassle. A single level 20 wizard will have like 50 known spells and 30 daily prepared spells, and this is not accounting for additional spells learned from scrolls, subclass spells, and spells from items. Then of course there's the standard/item-given actions and bonus actions, non-spell class abilities, consumables, etc. I shudder to think of that hotbar.

old hand
old hand
Fuji-san, they could have capped the tabletop game at Level 14, but they didn't. This attitude of "It's too hard, so let's give up instead of putting in the work." is - quite frankly - disappointing.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by GreatWarrioX
Originally Posted by greathero999
Personally I would like to see a CRPG with no level advancement at all or even negative one as consequence of all the trauma of fighting monsters.

Ive thought it as well, maybe Larian should forget level advancement, it would be more fun. If one dude in your party is lvl 16, and one is lvl 2, you wanna gear up this kid good. Some high lvl god-like NPC could join for your hardest battles etc. Or what if your lvl 16 dude leaves your party? How you are gonna survive now.

It might be too late, maybe for Larian's next game? Or maybe CDPR should do own CRPG.

If you think there is a market for that, start a company and make that game. There is certainly a lot of slightly dull uniformity about most game genres.

B
stranger
stranger
B
I don't know how much you can balance against 9th level spells

Even in actual dnd 5e, it gets really hard to balance encounters for characters with the most power spells

So many encounters will be cake walks with a two Wizard party that casts Animate Objects and Wall of Force and that's doable at level 9

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Terminator2020
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Yes level 12 as max level is very good smile. Perhaps level 13... or 11 level as max level.

If you remove the level cap via a mod, the content in patch 6 ( not the full act one ) takes you to about level 8-9, if I remember correctly. although that involves seeking XP rather than following the story flow. So, I expect you could get to level 12 quite early if you try, but I don't know what this implies about Larian's plans.

Expansions, DLC stories or a NG+ mode would all be ways to satisfy the "mo levels" urge, I suppose. In my opinion, if the story is good, the level doesn't really matter. It can be fun to mess around with wild options once you have played a game often enough, but that is usually possible with mods anyway.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackmagicgirl
I don't know how much you can balance against 9th level spells

Even in actual dnd 5e, it gets really hard to balance encounters for characters with the most power spells

So many encounters will be cake walks with a two Wizard party that casts Animate Objects and Wall of Force and that's doable at level 9
Making a force dome and using Animate Objects to attack on the other side? Cheesy in a good Wizardly way lol. Larian has some AI tweaking to do with that one. laugh If you can fit a Cleric inside the dome they can also attack with Spiritual Weapon.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by etonbears
If you remove the level cap via a mod, the content in patch 6 ( not the full act one ) takes you to about level 8-9, if I remember correctly. although that involves seeking XP rather than following the story flow. So, I expect you could get to level 12 quite early if you try, but I don't know what this implies about Larian's plans.

Expansions, DLC stories or a NG+ mode would all be ways to satisfy the "mo levels" urge, I suppose. In my opinion, if the story is good, the level doesn't really matter. It can be fun to mess around with wild options once you have played a game often enough, but that is usually possible with mods anyway.
"XP seeking" is exactly what most players will do. CRPGs, possibly above any other genre, have a following that seem to be made out mostly of completionists.
That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the "exp curve" would be significantly recalibrated in the final game.

Honestly, despise what they may have said at first about the intention (then dismissed) to cap the game at 10, right now it's almost hard to imagine the whole thing NOT climbing up WAY higher than that, rather than just marginally so.
Especially when you consider that we don't even have the ENTIRE Act 1 in this EA and Act 2 (of 3) is supposed to be larger by a significant margin according to what Swen Vincke himself confirmed several times.

I know that leveling up slows down almost exponentially at higher levels, but still...

Last edited by Tuco; 21/02/22 01:27 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by etonbears
If you remove the level cap via a mod
That only tells us how will you exp with that mod, hardly anything else. smile

Someone told me that in DOS Larian used some kind of soft level caps ...
Like once you reached certain level, your XP gain dramaticaly slowed, until you get to the next Act ...

Honestly it seems like good solution to me.
If you have one person who follows Minthara to the Mountain pass, and another person who follows Halsin through the Underdark ... you have two options ... bad one would be to make both paths dead ends, and send them to shared path afterwards ... good one would be to ensure by some mean that they come out from those paths on aproximately simmilar powerlevel ...
But then there are completionists, who will most likely follow them both ... so you also need to ensure even those people dont run too far.

veteran
veteran
People who are asking for "more levels" should really be asking for epic level content. Having epic level content in a game/campaign that starts at level 1 could be too much. Personally I find epic level content more of an epilogue to a very long campaign, perhaps a trilogy.

D&D is not an action RPG where 99 levels exist just for grinding, and where monster stats are scaled with you and the game never really changes. More levels isn't automatically better. Quite the opposite if they're not done right. I'd also like to take my time with every level. In EA the levels already rush by and you're level 4 before you know it or remember what 1-3 were like.

Epic level requests is something where the developer has to protect the players from themselves. Or at least know what they are getting into if they want 1-20 in a single game.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard