I find it implausible that somebody is pushing Gale from the "middle" of the room where you fight Nere into lava. That would be over by the blacksmith tent. It would at least one turn to run to the lava from that spot. No enemy has shown the ability to push my characters more than 30 feet over a flat surface. This kind of hyperbole is not helpful.

What made me change it to a standard action was actually a combat in that same room. I cast spike growth and then kept missing with my attacks but succeeding at shoving the duerger back onto the spikes. Then they would waddle back up to my PCs, taking damage from the spikes twice, to make a basic attack before I would shove them back again. It was very satisfying to kill them with spikes like that, but a bit silly and I did feel like there should be some impetus to try out different strategies.

I do feel like a lot of complaints about shove seem to boil down to, "I have to pay a lot more attention to my surroundings than I do in PnP, and I don't wanna."