Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by etonbears
I just prefer there to be some reasonable justification as to WHY any wizard would have gone to the trouble and expense of actually creating an item, which is not always clear in BG3.
Could you provide some example?

Since they all seems perfectly reasonable to me. O_o

Maybe except those gloves that gives you free jump when ypu sprint ... those should most certainly be boots in my honest opiion. Or belt that wouldp be also acceptable.

OK, I'll give an example of one weapon I like, and one I that seems like it's a Non-Fungible Triviality.

The Shattered Flail is something I consider a great magic weapon design. The base item is described as a primitive collection of bones, and it has a low base damage. It has a simple, straightforward hit/damage bonus, but has the potential drawback of Yeenoghu's Gift ( going berserk, attacking randomly ), which is both described in the item text, and learned from the encounter. And, of course, it is used against you before you can acquire it.

The Blooded Greataxe, by contrast, is something I consider a questionable magic weapon design. It is purchased from a merchant, it has no background to explain why it exists ( or what influenced it's maker to create it ), and will be of no use most of the time, as the magic effect only triggers when the weilder has low hit points, which is something most players would seek to avoid. There is probably no "strategy" to use this weapon, rather it is something you would use if you had found nothing better. Even a standard non-magical 2H sword ( also slashing damage, so equivalent ) would be a better choice overall, and would probably cost less to buy from the same merchant.

I haven't bothered to count the number of good designs compared with questionable designs, but I did get the impression while playing that I thought "WTF?" rather more often than I usually do with games.

A little more thought could probably improve many of the items that seem weird/out of place, but there are probably better things for Larian to work on if I'm honest.