Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
old hand
old hand
I assume that you are lvl 5 in the release game at least when you reach Grimforge which would make combat a lot different.

For me the most difficult fight was when I entered the temple with lvl 3 after having fought the goblins at the temple entrance with wasting a lot of slots because I thought that the goblins behind the door did not know about the fight, then being attacked by Mutt and all her followers, soon from high ground (during the "advantage" times). That was epic, for my taste. grin
The most annoying fight for me always is the hag fight. I hate it.The first time I luckily long rested before it because I was wasted after the masks and thought, the worst is still to come. Nevertheless I lost the fight, one of the three party wipes I suffered while playing. I came back with Gale and Magic Missiles. BTW Magic Missiles only work if you are in range and alive which is not always the case, I almost lost the bloody hag fight during my latest playthrough because of this.
BTW did they change Bernard (I had a longer game pause)? I found the fight always easy but lately he killed two of my party members with ease in the only two rounds he was in the fight.

Generally I find the difficulty is ok in the game. As items I use hp potions freely (without throwing them, stupid feature ...) but nothing else. I never dipped weapons for example and never will. I also don't use surfaces, I hated them already in DOS2. I'm not a DnD or BG player, but I like the DnDish combat here more or less. I think some Larian homebrew is a good thing, some is not from what I read, but as a whole it's more enjoyable for me than DOS2.

My expectation for the release game is that you can manage fights from normal gameplay aka playing the story, without knowing the enemies before and using artificial positioning, using the character and group abilities only without barrelmancy or such stuff, on "Normal" difficulty. So before fighting for example the goblin leaders,the spiders, the Minotaurs etc., looking for positions is ok, as you know that they are enemies to fight. With the Gith it's not ok because you don't know wether they are enemies or not, the fight should start from the dialog.

Last edited by geala; 01/04/22 09:32 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
mouse and keyboard is objectivelly more accurate and efficient.
I dont believe this is true ...
If you take person who all his life played on controller only and give him mouse and keyboard, they will never say its "more accurate and efficient" ... therefore its matter of personal prefferences.

I consider to be an expected standard.
Sure, bcs you are used to something ... that is exactly what im talking about. wink

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
[quote=Wormerine]mouse and keyboard is objectivelly more accurate and efficient.
If you take person who all his life played on controller only and give him mouse and keyboard, they will never say its "more accurate and efficient" ... therefore its matter of personal prefferences.

I believe Wormerine is correct on this one. Most, if not all, FPS games have some level of aim assist build into the controller functionality specifically because it is not as precise as a keyboard & mouse.

veteran
veteran
mouse and keyboard is objectivelly more accurate and efficient.

You really tend to confuse facts and "personnal preferences".

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
I don't play with a controller so I can't say which is more accurate and efficient, but Ragnarok, your example isn't really a good argument. All your example shows is that people can get used to doing something a certain way and switching to a different way is difficult. Like with keyboards in general. They aren't actually designed to be the most efficient arrangement of keys for faster typing, it would be possible to create a more efficient keyboard. But everyone is used to the current arrangement that switching would be difficult. Plus, people can prefer the less efficient way of doing things, but that doesn't make their way more efficient.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by OcO
Most, if not all, FPS games have some level of aim assist build into the controller functionality specifically because it is not as precise as a keyboard & mouse.
Most if not all modern cars have some level of parking asistant ...
Its not bcs it would be impossible to park them without it, its just easier this way ... and also people are dumm. laugh

As long as "somewhere out there" is even single person who would preffer controller over mouse and keyboard ... no matter how precise they are in your eyes, and no matter how many other people agree with you ... mouse and keyboard are not ultimattely better choice, exacly bcs of this person.
That is simply difference between objective and personal ... feel free to google definitions.

This isnt matter of precission tho ...
If you look at previous paige where this example was first used, you find out that reall core of problem was question of how intuitive it is for player to realize option to spread his party ...

So back to that topic...
Problem is that we all are used to certain system (M+K / C) so we all see benefits of what we do use and presume that our way is the best one ... same as person who deals with his party as a wholesome group ... rather than bunch of individual asets ...

While i can be used to deal with every party member individualy, and therefore see quite intuitive to send them to do different tasks ...
Someone else can be used to deal with his party as a whole, and therefore keep them together so they all work on the same task ...

Both options are valid and both options are there ... obviously both options also take some benefits and penalisations with them.
I dont think this ever was question for "wich approach is ultimately better" ... more like choices and consequences.

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
You really tend to confuse facts and "personnal preferences".
Well so far you didnt show any signs to even know what "facts" means so ...

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 02/04/22 08:22 AM.

veteran
veteran
Very strange coming from you. Especially after such comments comparing controller and mouse+keyboards lol. Just read articles... Or try by yourself.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 02/04/22 09:27 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Thank you for prooving my point once again. smile

veteran
veteran
Oh damn, I totally forgot that after you tried something, you can't be objective anymore^^

Last edited by Maximuuus; 02/04/22 09:43 AM.

veteran
veteran
Your words not mine tho.
You mind returning to the topic?

veteran
veteran
Look. It's really not that hard what we're asking for. A true 5e experience that is balanced for 5e because the homebrew makes everything more volatile. Been saying it forever.

veteran
veteran
So progress in your view is always discouraged because it might require for someone to learn something new?

I mean in case of BG3 it is a degression - a worse control system of what was before. And it's a good choice, because some people might have gotten used to it no matter how detrimental it could be to the experience? 🤦‍♂️

Last edited by Wormerine; 02/04/22 06:31 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
It's really not that hard what we're asking for.
This was never matter of difficiulty ...
More like willingness.

So progress in your view is always discouraged because it might require for someone to learn something new?
Not at all ... where did you get that? O_o

If i would search for some reason to discourage progress, it would be urge to keep in mind people who preffer older systems ... and even that would not be discouraging for "existence of progress", it would only require "not deleting older system" in the process ...
Just as i repeately beged larian with casting system ... frown

Other than that ... i see no reason for discouraging any progress. :-/

I mean in case of BG3 it is a degression - a worse control system of what was before.
You would need to be more specific ...
Saying it like this have kinda "i dislike it therefore it is bad" vibe ... wich, well lets just say i presume (read as: hope) that is not what you were trying to say.

And it's a good choice, because some people might have gotten used to it no matter how detrimental it could be to the experience? 🤦‍♂️
I would need more details for answering this aswell.

veteran
veteran
I mean in case of BG3 it is a degression - a worse control system of what was before.
Saying it like this have kinda "i dislike it therefore it is bad" vibe ... wich, well lets just say i presume (read as: hope) that is not what you were trying to say.
I did provide such specific examples at length - even included gameplay of Desperados3 using classic system showcasing responsivenes, flexibility and reliability that would never be possible with BG3 chaining system. At the very least chaining system adds one unnecessary imput to achieve same the result, and more often than not it is worse then that.

the comparison between aim assistance and driving assistance si SO ridiculous.

I'm sry, there is no way to say it nicely but it's ridiculous.

driving assistance is an option which is not available with all the cars cause it's expensive.
aim assist is an option which is implemented for console cause... controllers are less accurate.
This is not a perspective or an opinion, this is a fact. This is not about habits, prefrences or experiences, this is about the efficience of two type of control with the same condition of used.

Damn. I just look at few posts and I don't comment for a lot of reason (larian didn't caring about our opinion is one of those) but when I see what Ragnarok is saygin.

Someone really need to make him understand how not smart at all and unlogical he is talking just to prove his point and how it's really bad for an interesting and usefull conversation.
Need to learn to open his mind and accept to be wrong some times.

Last edited by Zefhyr; 02/04/22 11:10 PM.
addict
addict
I did provide such specific examples at length - even included gameplay of Desperados3 using classic system showcasing responsivenes, flexibility and reliability that would never be possible with BG3 chaining system. At the very least chaining system adds one unnecessary imput to achieve same the result, and more often than not it is worse then that.

No point arguing with pointless master arguer Rag & company, just ignore. Hes not a Dev. and his opinion is definitely in the minority. Basically you just have fans of the current state of the game left on these forums; most have just given up all attempts of showing why the game is still so bad...There were PLENTLY of highly detailed posts on many issues that have yet to be resolved or even addressed, after 2 years of EA.
We are not here to show how good the game is. Thats not what EA forums is for in my view. Make a fan page or go to Reddit if you truly love this game. Telling the DEV the <xxx> element is perfect serves 0 purpose during EA. Larian decides what is acceptable/perfect in their system. WE COMPLAIN and show what isn't.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 02/04/22 11:07 PM.
veteran
veteran
I'm a fan of the game, but I'm out here calling for improvements. We're not all just here shouting for no change. I think Ragnarok is pretty much the only one who argued regularly with people to try to prevent any major changes.

veteran
veteran
This is an aside to the thread topic itself, and more a general conversation point for everyone involved (and tangentially related to the rapid back and forths going on in a couple of other threads right now at the same time):

Some general advice for dealing with feedback in Any EA, especially when it is conducted in an open forum space:

Forum spaces have Threads; each thread has a topic that it is intended to discuss. If it is in the suggestions and feedback section, it will almost certainly contain either opinions from the poster about what they do and do not like, or else analysis of what has been presented already and commentary on that.

If a Thread is supported by enough people, and the developers look at their own internal data and private feedback reports (which only they have access too), and decide that a majority of public opinion - or a substantial enough section of it - leans a certain way, and it's an alteration or option they are willing to modify or compromise on, then they may do that.

If a Thread does not garner much traction, such that it is not raised to their awareness, and the same thing is not also reflected in their internal data and private feedback reports, then the change will almost certainly not occur.

If you find yourself in agreement with the proposition of a Thread, then posting in support of that conversation adds to its metrics when it gets assessed - every voice can matter in this situation - but if it's a really important issue to you, then the thread may be the inspiration you need to make a personalised feedback report to Larian directly about the issue, which will carry more effective weight than a single forum post.

Here's the bit where many people trip up:

If you do Not agree with the opinion or suggestion made in a feedback thread, then the best thing you can do is not to post in it.

Jumping into the conversation just to offer a contrary personal opinion to the thread proposition actually Adds Nothing of value to the discourse. It may seem like it does, but in truth it doesn't. If anything, it actually generates more conversation and thus more visibility, and gives the proposition more traction that it would otherwise have had. Your silence does as much or more work towards not supporting an opinion proposed by another non-Larian user that you don't agree with, than any amount of posting actually does.

Now, if you want to post to actually add information - say that someone's proposition comes from a place that makes a couple of incorrect assumptions, and you have the knowledge to help increase that's person's knowledge and understanding, that's great, but it doesn't help anyone to conflate or confuse these two things; assisting with actual, tangible information/explanations are useful as they help everyone operate on the same page. Simple contrary opinions are not - You are far better off saving your time and energy. If you really feel strongly against the suggestion being made, you can make an independent feedback thread in support of the mechanic or function you like, and give your feedback that way, on how much you like it. Telling the developers what, in your opinion, works well, is also valuable feedback in its own right, after all.

Last edited by Niara; 03/04/22 02:25 AM.
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
As someone who used to both k/m and controllers for RPGs [not shooters], K/M is almost always more accurate. I tested it in most from swift ware games that favour controllers, and platforms that favour K/M. In all instances K/M is better, even if you can get good and used to the controller. Here is why.

1) controller has huge lag with input. Even good controllers like my own have 0.5-1.5ms delay with a wire, wireless is going to be worse. My K/M has delay of 0.1ms. That is huge difference

2) mouse + KB makes macros possible, they can make huge chains of 20-30 keys done in one second. Best example is Ff14 and healing. Where you macro to target your ally with lowest hp and in one click can do your rotation. Good luck doing that with a controller in fast paced combat

3) Turning camera by simply moving your arm is more precise then flicking your controller

The above are main reason K/M are superior

veteran
veteran
FF14 is a good example. My wife used a controller for awhile with PS4, and finally got so frustrated she couldn't anymore. We got her to use mouse and keyboard and she hasn't gone back since. She HATES the controller now.

That said, isn't this post about BG3 being ridiculously hard? Isn't it about how they need to rebuild encounters so they aren't so volatile and thus either too hard or too easy depending on whether you know the gimmicks?

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard