Still play BG1 & 2. Playing it now because BG3 (to me) is such a huge disappointment in the DnD sense. It is visually dated, though some (like me) would say it is "classic". It is immensely playable. And like Solasta and even NWN, they come closer to creating a TT feel on a CRPG. I think that is the thing that made them so popular. Most of the market back then was likely TT players, too.

These days I have no idea how large the CRPG or even CRPG-adjacent or TT cross-over market. I am sure Larian thinks he is trying to address a larger player base than TT players, which is why so much of TT feel and DnD 5E is easily sacrificed.

The ONLY thing that drew me to this game was BG3 and DnD. If it is not that I won't play it beyond the EA. I have no doubts it will be successful enough. I am sure I am a minority (I usually am in most things anyway). There are enough DnD-ish games out there and I don't play them either. DOS1 was fun enough. DOS 2 got bogged down and I stopped playing half way through. If that is Larian's idea of "Epic" I don't see me playing all the way through BG3 either, so I'll save my time and money. hell, I still couldn't tell you the plot to DOS1. I can for BG1 & 2, NWN, POE, and (now) Solasta. I even keep forgetting about the Tadpoles in BG3. TBF, that's probably more my age showing!

But I enjoy reading others' comments! And this is probably how I'll get a sense of any improvement on the game. There are people here who have higher expectations than I do, so if they are satisfied, chances are I will be, too.

Carry on!
Joe