I grew up playing BG 1&2 (omg I was so glad to not have 6 discs with the second game), Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, Icewind Dale (late to the game actually for that), and the Divinity series.

One of the games had a tribute to a person on the box or manual, and there are several people who have died or simply moved on in careers since those games came out. I almost feel it's a good thing to go a different direction. The Bhaalspawn concept was tough if you're a good character -- your heritage is eeeeevil. And damn, if I don't admire some of those companions who joined with you anyway.

Because it's been so long and so many other games came out in the D&D WoC Bioware lineup, I don't think I would like a direct clone/continuation. I actually really like what they're doing so far and have no complaints. It's as if my two favorite video games had a child together -- not really exactly like either parent but you can see what makes it meld. Divinity games were full of snark and humorous lore to be found and had large maps that made for endless exploring. I hope I can have a house in BG3. Not opposed to, errr, evicting the tennant....

I personally found the day/night cycle a pain in the rear but I don't think it has to be absent. The exhaustion mechanic is part of d&d so whatever but I hated that I had to rest every time I left town. Makes sense in realism, but irritating in a game where mobs that give nearly 0XP spawn constantly at night.

I really liked the diverse characters, but I felt there wasn't a good thief so I had to play one to avoid traps and locked stuff. I pretty much kept the same party, but that's because I played the game so much that I know who is useful. Dynaheir was not. She died tripping UP the stairs. Branwen and Xan are forever in my heart and I miss them terribly. Imoen is that kid sister you can't get rid of, but she's iconic so I guess she can stay (if only she stayed a damn thief). Aerie had an amazing kit that made her spells powerful...if. she. lives. Which is where Minsc + anyone who raises dead comes in....

Oh another thing that I HATED -- main character dies and you have to load. You are not the center of the universe. Bhaal will replace you. Or your party members can resurrect/raise dead. Or a temple. Really, this should not have been the way.