The new adventure's been pretty interesting so far, as someone doing a blind multiplayer run of it. The encounters are definitely a significant step up in difficulty compared to the base adventure (to the point where we were using a lot more limited resources such as poisoned arrows compared to the base campaign). There was one fight with some larger enemies that my DM friend thought was way overtuned, until we started the fight at a different angle and realized we were supposed to use chokepoints that the enemies couldn't get through due to their size not allowing them to fit through. The fights seem much more varied too (like the base campaign was basically 90% undead, Soraks, or spiders, while about 5 hours into the new campaign, there really wasn't anything that seemed overused yet).

I finally got off my ass and actually finished the base adventure after not really progressing past the end of early access ever since the game's release. I've noticed how certain cutscenes basically got reworked from early access. Like the entire 'picking up the crown' scene, of which everything that happens there now makes a lot more sense than what happened before. Still a lot of jank, but still a fun experience.

I never actually finished the last act of WotR since it got increasingly buggy. I think I won't come back to it until all of the DLC is out and everything's ironed out.

On a side note, I've been playing a very non-traditional jRPG lately called Crystal Project. Might be the only turn-based jRPG I've played recently with some actual strategic depth behind its combat system that doesn't revolve around hiding information from you or layers of RNG (or both). The game utilizes an actual threat system, all status effects are universally useful against enemies and party members, and you can see what enemies will do on their next turn so your strategies tend to shift towards proactive countering/mitigation, rather than the standard tank and spank normally seen in most jRPGs. But of course one of the biggest criticisms about the game is its late game difficulty, but it's hard to tell if the late game enemies are actually overtuned or the average jRPG fan is not used to actually having to utilize all their buffs and debuffs.

The plot barely exists and is mostly in the background though, since the game has a more open ended exploration focus instead, to the point where you can do some insane sequence breaks instead of following the intended critical path. Go figure that I always end up gravitating towards these types of games.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 01/05/22 10:06 AM.