Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Originally Posted by Van'tal
Ooooohhh, I like it!

Of course my Barbarian will stab them in the face with their pike and yell, "Counter-spell This!".

Enemy mages may attempt to activate shield against you if you roll high enough to hit normally but low enough for the +5 AC to make a difference. But this also blows their 1 reaction per turn, so they wouldn't be able to counterspell whatever your mage is doing later that turn.

You can even bait out their reaction by running up to them in melee range, stepping out to take an attack of opportunity on purpose (for most likely negligible damage if it even hits, unless they got some super enchanted dagger or they're a creature with a mean melee claw attack or something) which would use up their reaction, and then coming back to smack them in the face. Enemies in Solasta are coded to take the first possible reaction in most cases (the sole exception being Counterspell, it seems they will only try to counterspell a 3rd level or higher spell, or a Shadowcaster's reaction cantrip for some reason), and virtually all of the mages are wielding melee weapons.

It's possible that it may be the same case in BG3, assuming proper reactions make it in. Unless Larian decides to give the majority of mages darts or some other simple ranged weapon to avoid this particular cheese.

Originally Posted by Archaven
I just get to take counterspell yesterday in solasta. I was already level 10. out of my amazement i was like super stoked. I could actually counterspell the enemy counterspell!. My melee was about to hit the enemy caster and he counterspelled. And the reaction popups that i can counter the enemy counterspell!. And i did it the enemy caster is down!. Very cool.

Enemies wouldn't counterspell a melee attack unless the melee attack was a powerful touch spell, so it sounds like the enemy caster attempted to cast Shield instead, which would have caused your melee attack to miss if you didn't counterspell it. It's a fairly common application of counterspell against an enemy mage if you absolutely need to guarantee their death.

That said, it IS possible to counterspell an enemy counterspell in order for the original spell to go off in tabletop. You can even be the caster of the original spell, end up with an enemy attempting to counterspell you, and then you can use your reaction to counterspell them back so your original spell still goes through. I am not sure if it's actually possible to counter a counterspell in Solasta though, as I have yet to run two characters in a party that possess the spell at once, and I haven't seen my Wizard get a prompt to counterspell a counterspell yet. I wouldn't be surprised if Solasta decided to axe that or couldn't implement that type of situation due to potential bugs, because it's a bit silly to begin with.

yeah i think it's the shield that enemy cast and i'm able to counter it. that said, was wondering if stealth can land the first aoe spells safely? in other words, from stealth can enemy counterspell?. actually solasta can go further like when our party were ambushed enemy AI can be alittle bit smarter and rain us with aoe spells.