Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
Originally Posted by UnknownEvil
Not only are there choices missing, but also the usage of already gahered information is missing at a lot of points still.

Letting the Hag take your eye she tells you the magic is Netherese shadow magic. Yet talking to Halsin about it never lets you mention it. Its still just "some" magic.

I’m in two minds about this. Yes, it might be nice if the game reflected what we’ve learned elsewhere, but given the variety of different orders we can do things in I suspect this could make the dialogue trees hideously complicated and make other things I’d like to see, such as voiced protagonists, more costly and unlikely. I’m happy to restrict additional or changed dialogue to cases where it really matters. For example, if all that Halsin could be expect say about the fact that Netherese shadow magic is involved is “Huh, interesting, but I don’t know what to make of that,” then I’m not sure there’s any point in having dialogue with him about it. But if a character has insight to offer, that’s a different matter.

Well, certainly not ALL information has to affect every conversation. But aren't we on a quest to determine the nature of the tadpoles to see how to get rid of them? The information that it was altered by netherese shadowmagic is kinda vital. You know who uses shadowmagic? yes, Sharrans and Netherese. Also most Netherese do worship which god? Well...Shar. Where did the Shadow curse on the land come from? Sharrans shadow magic.
So i might think that telling Halsin about that would create some link between Shar and the Mindflayers. Which could mean a number of things. Especially regarding that Gith Artifact we have. A Shar Priestess is tasked to bring it to BG, yet Shar and the Netherese are somehow involved with this Absolute plot. Shadowheart should have been under the Absolutes sway by now. Soooo....her task to bring it to BG might acutally be given by the Absolute.
Just speculation on my side though wink

Last edited by UnknownEvil; 24/01/23 10:14 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Another thing is a complete missing conversation.

I wanted to try to talk to halsin while in his bear form...as a druid or with speak with animal that should be possible. Getting near the cage triggers the cutscene though.

Now i went to the door in catshape but could not talk to him through the gates.

Jumped in the cage, still not possible to talk to him. Reverting to normal triggers the cutscene with the PC standing outside the cage again.

Would really be nice to have a chat with him like this smile

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I wanted to try to talk to halsin while in his bear form...as a druid or with speak with animal that should be possible. Getting near the cage triggers the cutscene though.

Jumped in the cage, still not possible to talk to him. Reverting to normal triggers the cutscene with the PC standing outside the cage again.

It certainly doesn’t seem possible to speak with any animals when your (PC) druid is wildshaped, but I have no idea if this correct per RAW or not. It makes sense that your character can’t speak to animals as they can’t speak, but you’d think that they could understand them. And it would also make sense that another character who had speak with animals active could understand your character, so two wildshaped druids both with speak with animals could have a conversation. But again, I’ve no idea if this is how the spell actually works.

With respect to talking to Halsin if he’s in bear form but you’re not wildshaped, that should work iirc, but within the cutscene. I’ve not tried it for a while, though.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
old hand
old hand
I haven't read through the thread yet, but add my recent in-game experiences:

- When you steal from Auntie Ethel in Druid Grove, she flees. If you meet her later in the swamp or in her tea house, she makes no reference to it at all.

- If you interact with Anders, Karlach, etc. pp. as a Zariel Tiefling, then there is no special dialogue, except for the standard [Tiefling] dialogue. However, as a Zariel Tiefling, you can't make any remarks about being for or against Zariel or any other statements regarding Zariel, which you would expect though...

Last edited by Lotus Noctus; 30/01/23 06:10 AM.
veteran
veteran
Hmm, that brings up a question. How likely is it that people in-universe will be able to distinguish between the types of tiefling at all? Sure, we the players know, but how would anyone else, including the tiefling themselves? The devil's blood influencing us could be from generations past, no way for us to easily know. Maybe a learned scholar of the subject could tell, but since there aren't really major tiefling cultures, I doubt the tiefling themselves would have reason to differentiate really, and nor would most people they meet.

enthusiast
enthusiast

It certainly doesn’t seem possible to speak with any animals when your (PC) druid is wildshaped, but I have no idea if this correct per RAW or not. It makes sense that your character can’t speak to animals as they can’t speak, but you’d think that they could understand them. And it would also make sense that another character who had speak with animals active could understand your character, so two wildshaped druids both with speak with animals could have a conversation. But again, I’ve no idea if this is how the spell actually works.

With respect to talking to Halsin if he’s in bear form but you’re not wildshaped, that should work iirc, but within the cutscene. I’ve not tried it for a while, though.

Thats the thing, you can talk to practially every animal while wildshaped. Even to the Owlbear, which is techically not categorized as an animal. Just Halsin stays mute.

Not beeing wildshaped will trigger the cutscene.

What i have not tried though is casting "speak with animals" and then starting the cutscene. If there are any dialogue options popping up.

Update: Casting "speak with animals before entering the cutscene does not open up any dialogues options but you can understand waht the bear is saying and the opening text of halsin is slightly changed.

I would still like to be able to actually talk to him in shapeshift form without the goblins noticing. But since that is probably a druid only option, it wont happen. Even though using invisibility and speak with animals could open that way up for others as well.

Last edited by UnknownEvil; 30/01/23 11:25 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Hmm, that brings up a question. How likely is it that people in-universe will be able to distinguish between the types of tiefling at all? Sure, we the players know, but how would anyone else, including the tiefling themselves? The devil's blood influencing us could be from generations past, no way for us to easily know. Maybe a learned scholar of the subject could tell, but since there aren't really major tiefling cultures, I doubt the tiefling themselves would have reason to differentiate really, and nor would most people they meet.

This does not necessarily have to be recognized by outsiders, which subtype of a Tiefling you are. In this particular context, it is more about self-revelation and empathy with Karlach anyway. Maybe one of us was plagued in the same way as Karlach. We have already escaped from Elturel, other dialogues e.g. with Rolan suggest that. Zariel also pursues the Hellriders and considers all of them traitors. How much more does that apply to other former Tieflings from Elturel?

veteran
veteran
That's all a good point, but I'm pretty sure our character *can't* be from elturel. It's not the only place tieflings come from anyway, they just get born spontaneously sometimes due to demonic influence in their bloodlines. So we would likely have had very different experiences. And again, it's very possible that we ourselves don't actually know our subrace.

old hand
old hand
That's all a good point, but I'm pretty sure our character *can't* be from elturel. It's not the only place tieflings come from anyway, they just get born spontaneously sometimes due to demonic influence in their bloodlines. So we would likely have had very different experiences. And again, it's very possible that we ourselves don't actually know our subrace.

The Elturel thing was also just an example, since a dialog response arose in reference to it. I can't judge that one hundred percent. I only know that as a Zariel Tiefling, I have the appropriate magical abilities such as Searing Smite, which sets me apart from the other Tiefling subraces. So I wouldn't want to deny the ability to not be able to judge my Tiefling subrace myself.

But if Zariel can plague Karlach with nightmares where she carves her name into her body, or Karlach says that she was one of her champion Tieflings with much more fighting power that she no longer has, then I wonder to what extent Zariel can still access (Zariel) Tieflings and take away their abilities? I don't know if there are similar mechanisms at work here as with Dorn Il-Khan and his Patron Ur-Gothoz (BG 2) or Warlocks and their Patrons?

veteran
veteran
I just think that it's reasonable that a tiefling wouldn't know their subrace but I wouldn't protest the presence of options that assume they do, since I'm sure some tieflings could figure that out. I just doubt that they would know as a rule or that they could find out without dedicated research.

As for Zariel herself appearing, I'm all but certain that that is a consequence of them having directly worked for her. The power average tieflings have is a result of their heritage, same as some folks having brown eyes or curly hair. It's not something she directly gives to them. Karlach was different in that she was directly empowered by Zariel. I also think that the name carving thing wasn't a dream, it was our character seeing a literal memory of a thing that actually happened to Karlach.

old hand
old hand
I also think that the name carving thing wasn't a dream, it was our character seeing a literal memory of a thing that actually happened to Karlach.

Yes, that's right, unfortunately I had circumscribed inaccurately. My bad. smile

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Thats the thing, you can talk to practially every animal while wildshaped. Even to the Owlbear, which is techically not categorized as an animal. Just Halsin stays mute.

Huh! I attempted to talk to at least one animal (not Halsin) with my wildshaped moon druid and nothing happened so I assumed this didn’t work and stopped trying. Perhaps I’d actually come across a bug. I’ll try to replicate but don’t think I recall what animal it was.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
enthusiast
enthusiast

Huh! I attempted to talk to at least one animal (not Halsin) with my wildshaped moon druid and nothing happened so I assumed this didn’t work and stopped trying. Perhaps I’d actually come across a bug. I’ll try to replicate but don’t think I recall what animal it was.

Some animals problably have nothing to say...as some corpses.

Try the dog withe dead courier or the boar where you meet Astarion. "silver" in the druid grove also has dialogue. You can talk to the owlbear and even to the cub later in the goblin camp if you kill mommy. The Squirrels with the bard also have a funny dialogue...the bear with Volo too. Just to mention some smile

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Try the dog withe dead courier or the boar where you meet Astarion. "silver" in the druid grove also has dialogue. You can talk to the owlbear and even to the cub later in the goblin camp if you kill mommy. The Squirrels with the bard also have a funny dialogue...the bear with Volo too. Just to mention some smile

Given I don’t recall which animal it was I could easily be wrong, but I think it’s one that I could “speak with animals” with in human form. I wish I’d persevered now, but I just turned back human to speak with animals after my initial failure in my druid game so it’s all got confused. But I have a land druid in the custom party I’m on-and-off doing another run with so I’ll try with him and see if I can replicate any problems.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard