Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by robertthebard
Ironically, if you read MMO forums, there's a vocal group that wants all the F2P games to have a subscription model.
Because (once again, ironically) it's usually WAY cheaper than the "free to play" approach.
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by robertthebard
Ironically, if you read MMO forums, there's a vocal group that wants all the F2P games to have a subscription model.
Because (once again, ironically) it's usually WAY cheaper than the "free to play" approach.

Some of the reasons I have actually seen are "It keeps out the riff raff" or "it cuts down on gold spammers". Both are patently false, but it's what they want to say. On the spammer thing, there were gold spammers in the closed betas for Aion, I saw them. I had to buy my way in, and yet, there were gold spammers.

I'm still a little surprised that people think F2P is "cheaper" than subscription based games. A SINGLE empowered rift, or whatever their called in Diablo Immortal, can cost you $20. That's like 4 - 5 minutes of "gameplay" and reward for $5 more than a months subscription on something like FFXIV. do four empowered rifts and you have yourself a full expansion in a sub based mmo.

I still remember this comic, and it's still true:

[Linked Image from i.kym-cdn.com]

Then there's players like me, that don't spend a lot of money in F2P games. I paid a sub for ESO, for example, because I wanted the crafting bag, and in swtor because of all the stuff I like to do that I'm essentially locked out of, unless I want to drop a couple hundred bucks. Now, I could have, and could have skipped out on the sub, but it actually was cheaper, for me, to just pay the sub.