Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
Quite honestly, i thought its so they are not completely screwed once they meet flying enemies. laugh
Okey then, i stand corected ... anyway, im quite sure throwing javelin didnt prolong my rage. O_o

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
I was just thinking about this topic ...
And i have to ask a question ... does it really matter?

Bare with me for a second please.

I know that Berserker is a lot stronger compared to other meele classes ...
BUT ... we are talking here about game, where Sorcerer is a lot strongr compared to other casters, since rule about 1 leveled spell per round is absent ... we are talking here about game where Warlocks looses their main bonus (restoring spellslots by Short Rest) bcs you can Long Rest after every fight if you want to ... we are talking here about game where Rogues are just as good as anyone else, since they are missing expertise, and if they miss Sneak Attack with their Action, its gone for good, not even mentioning absece of Sneak Attack for reaction ...

I mean ...
Yes, Berserker is "also" broken in his own way, but ... quite honestly, what class isnt? laugh

OP Offline
So this is a reason why we provide feedback - we want the game to be balanced/better. In RAW dnd(as i presume BG 3 is heading to) such berserker will be the strongest melee fighter. Other balance issues were discussed already and I hope Larian read all this

Last edited by mercurial_ann; 23/06/22 07:22 PM.

add hexblade warlock, pls
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I was just thinking about this topic ...
And i have to ask a question ... does it really matter?

Bare with me for a second please.

I know that Berserker is a lot stronger compared to other meele classes ...
BUT ... we are talking here about game, where Sorcerer is a lot strongr compared to other casters, since rule about 1 leveled spell per round is absent ... we are talking here about game where Warlocks looses their main bonus (restoring spellslots by Short Rest) bcs you can Long Rest after every fight if you want to ... we are talking here about game where Rogues are just as good as anyone else, since they are missing expertise, and if they miss Sneak Attack with their Action, its gone for good, not even mentioning absece of Sneak Attack for reaction ...

I mean ...
Yes, Berserker is "also" broken in his own way, but ... quite honestly, what class isnt? laugh
1.) Just because other things are broken doesn't mean we shouldn't argue for specific fixes to balance. Theoretically Larian could implement fixes for everything you mentioned in that paragraph, in which case we might want the Berserker "fixed" too.
1b.) That said, I'll repeat that I don't think "fixing" BBarb by giving them a level of exhaustion after they frenzy is a good decision, regardless of whether the LR system is changed.

2.) The exhaustion mechanics can exist separately from the Berserker Barbarian; that's what I'd like to see. BBarb is just one example of where it *could* have an effect.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I have to ask a question ... does it really matter?

I agree with this. It doesn't matter to me.

I've lived through so many versions of DnD that I'm no longer convinced any of it's really balanced to begin with. Or needs to be.

veteran
veteran
JandK expressed it perfectly ...
Its not "other things are broken too, so dont fix anything" ... its more like the ballance is a good thing, but not allways exactly the priority no *1* to have everything "perfectly ballanced". wink

OP Offline
Are we saying that it is priority number 1? We provide feedback and suggest things. Larian are the ones that set priorities

veteran
veteran
I don't think Larian can ever develop a functional exhaustion or restricted rest based resource management system. And Exhaustion can't exist as long as Long Rest is a free ability reset button.

They have decided that CRPG's need to function on a per encounter basis, like DOS. They won't stop fighting against the D&D system their current game is using. That's why the food mechanic is a tedious, meaningless non-mechanic in BG3, because they don't really want to commit to a system where you can't rest at will without any consequences.

BG3 will only get more broken at higher levels when the resting will empower spellcasters more and more. Then they will give martials some silly superpowers and enemies +500 hp to compensate.

Please prove me wrong. I would love Exhaustion and restricted Long Rest in the game. I want to be rewarded for smart resource management and knowing when to use my spells and abilities.

Last edited by 1varangian; 23/06/22 09:10 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by 1varangian
I don't think Larian can ever develop a functional exhaustion or restricted rest based resource management system. And Exhaustion can't exist as long as Long Rest is a free ability reset button.

They have decided that CRPG's need to function on a per encounter basis, like DOS[...]

Please prove me wrong. I would love Exhaustion and restricted Long Rest in the game. I want to be rewarded for smart resource management and knowing when to use my spells and abilities.
Without changing the LR system (which I agree that Larian won't do at this point, or will do poorly like the food system), exhaustion would have to be a per-combat thing, where you risk getting multiple levels of exhaustion in a single encounter.

E.g., Barbarian's Frenzy attack could cause a level of exhaustion, essentially turning it into a up-to-5 times per combat ability, with stronger penalties the more times it is used.
An enemy's attack could have characters make a Con ST or take a level of exhaustion.
An item could induce exhaustion each time it is used.

In these cases, without adding LR restrictions, a long rest would then have to cure multiple levels of exhaustion or it'd just be tedious to LR multiple times in a row. Perhaps a short rest would restore 1 level of exhaustion.

veteran
veteran
It's a bit discouraging they release classes in such broken state as the Berserker Barbarian. Not only is the free extra attack without any downside obviously OP as hell, but they even threw a ranged extra BA on top. The damage output is insane compared to anything else. And then there's 50% damage resistance as well which is OP as hell in it's own right when you can rest at will and spam Rage with reckless abandon.

After playing with a Berserker for a bit and steamrolling everything solo without any effort, I just lost interest in the game entirely and haven't played since. Probably patch 8 will introduce another Larian-altered class that will be so bonkers that no one will remember Berserker anymore. Hopefully the patch will bring some sort of downside to Frenzy and introduce a LR system that matters but yeah... not holding my breath. We are in crazy bonkers Ha-Ha land now rather than playing a tactical D&D CRPG.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by 1varangian
We are in crazy bonkers Ha-Ha land now rather than playing a tactical D&D CRPG.
I’m fairly ill at the moment, so this may be the fever talking, but crazy bonkers Ha-Ha land sounds pretty good right now.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
OP Offline
I just ignore this sub class. The game itself is pretty easy in the EA, but berserker barb makes it just boring

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard