Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by GM4Him
No. See. You're getting hung up on "limit".

What nobody wants:

Example. You crash on the beach. You find 35 food. 40 is required for long rest. The intellect devourers nearly kill you. You need to long rest. Too bad. You didn't earn enough to and the devs designed it this way because they thought people should never be able to long rest at this point. GG player. Best reload until you get it right.

This is a hard limit. Might as well say "you get 0 LRs at the beginning and must earn LRs by completing x number of story markers.". No thanks. I don't even want this for short rest. I want them to remove the 2/day hard SR limit.

What many are asking for:

A meaningful resting system that has strategic value for both long and short rest giving both more value from a mechanics perspective. We don't want the value to be just quality of life and/or that we must use them if we want character development and interaction AND we are discouraged from using them frequently in order to enjoy the rest of the game.

In other words, we don't want the game to be designed in such a way that we feel like we are supposed to Long rest frequently in order to even defeat enemies we are about to run into.

For example, in wrath of the righteous, once I got to the surface and started at the inn, I gathered my party and went out into the city to adventure. I was involved in a random encounter, got to the marketplace, went through the entire marketplace map, used a lot of potions and spells to keep going because resting in that area was extremely dangerous, defeated the entire area, left the marketplace and went to a tower, defeated the tower and all the demons within, still didn't rest once, and finally return to the inn to rest because at that point I was pretty bad off. It was a long adventuring experience in between rests, and I didn't feel like I had to rest until after doing a lot of stuff.

It wasn't that I couldn't rest during that entire time, but from a gaming perspective I was encouraged to keep going on my adventure and discouraged from resting. Again, it wasn't that I couldn't rest, but I didn't feel like I needed to and I didn't feel like I should. I was fighting enemies that were hurting my characters, but they weren't so overpowered that they were making me feel like I had to expend all my spells and take a rest afterwards in between each fight.

And finally, and perhaps one of the most important things to me, I don't feel like in that game that I will miss out on any dialogs or character development because I continued my adventuring day and went too far. At any point in time, I could return to the inn and have conversations with any of the characters I have met, not missing a single conversation with each one simply because I didn't rest enough.

Now I completely don't understand you.
Honestly, it seems to me to be a bit contradictory to what you suggested earlier, but maybe I just misunderstood what you meant.
Unimportant.

From what you wrote in another thread, you played WotR only on the normal difficulty level. It's a bit unfair to compare WotR to BG3 (especially normal). In the case of WotR, there are several times more fights in the game than in BG3, with 80% (for normal, probably even 90%) are typical trash mobs fights. Most of these fights can be won without player participation, even on core +.
Even Shield's Maze has more fights than the path to the grove.
I wouldn't be surprised if the whole map on the surface had fewer fights than just the marketplace (I'm not going to count it).
You should be able to win 2-3 fights max before resting.

A meaningful resting system that has strategic value for both long and short rest giving both more value from a mechanics perspective. We don't want the value to be just quality of life and/or that we must use them if we want character development and interaction AND we are discouraged from using them frequently in order to enjoy the rest of the game.

I do not understand this sentence completely. How would you like to make the rest mechanic meaningful if it is to be unlimited. Apart from serious time limits (like closing the grove) I can't think of anything.
And as you know, I am completely against such a solution.

What I (and probably everyone) can agree with is that the conversations in the camp must be fixed sooner or later because they are tragically bad.

addict
addict
Why have it at all? I never use it there are more than enough CS available.

veteran
veteran
And here is where we are disconnecting, I think, Rhobar. You think 2-3 fights per Long Rest is good. That's not good. That's not the way D&D is meant to be played, and it's not good for an adventure. A party of players should be able to at least clear an area before long resting. That's how D&D is standardly designed.

In Descent into Avernus, you invade the cultist lair, you go through the WHOLE lair before long resting. You don't face 2-3 groups of cultists and throw in the towel for the day.

D&D is designed to be played where you rest when it makes sense. You don't explore a spider lair, fight 2-3 fights, turn around, leave, find a camp rest for 24 hours, and return. You only do that kind of thing if the DM determines that you really need to or it's going to be game over. You shouldn't have most chapters of the game set up so that you only are able to fight two or three battles and then have to rest. It's supposed to be more like wrath of the righteous where you can do several maps even before you need to rest.

I don't particularly like having tons and tons of fights against trash mobs, but there is a middle ground between that and what we have in bg3. Designing the game so that you do only two to three fights and then rest is exactly why I keep saying that the game is designed so that you only adventure for 5 minutes and take the rest of the day off. That is exactly my point. Your adventurers are accomplishing virtually nothing everyday, chipping away extremely little by little. You fight spiders one day, and it took your characters in the game approximately a minute to do the battle, and they're already throwing in the towel for the day. But you have a mind player parasite in your head that could turn you into one at any second. Adventuring for only 5 minutes makes absolutely no sense in light of this.

Again, there's an in-between. I'm trying to help the devs come up with some sort of system to help players fight more than just 2 to 3 battles a day.

+1

add hexblade warlock, pls
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
And here is where we are disconnecting, I think, Rhobar. You think 2-3 fights per Long Rest is good. That's not good. That's not the way D&D is meant to be played, and it's not good for an adventure. A party of players should be able to at least clear an area before long resting. That's how D&D is standardly designed.

In Descent into Avernus, you invade the cultist lair, you go through the WHOLE lair before long resting. You don't face 2-3 groups of cultists and throw in the towel for the day.

D&D is designed to be played where you rest when it makes sense. You don't explore a spider lair, fight 2-3 fights, turn around, leave, find a camp rest for 24 hours, and return. You only do that kind of thing if the DM determines that you really need to or it's going to be game over. You shouldn't have most chapters of the game set up so that you only are able to fight two or three battles and then have to rest. It's supposed to be more like wrath of the righteous where you can do several maps even before you need to rest.

I don't particularly like having tons and tons of fights against trash mobs, but there is a middle ground between that and what we have in bg3. Designing the game so that you do only two to three fights and then rest is exactly why I keep saying that the game is designed so that you only adventure for 5 minutes and take the rest of the day off. That is exactly my point. Your adventurers are accomplishing virtually nothing everyday, chipping away extremely little by little. You fight spiders one day, and it took your characters in the game approximately a minute to do the battle, and they're already throwing in the towel for the day. But you have a mind player parasite in your head that could turn you into one at any second. Adventuring for only 5 minutes makes absolutely no sense in light of this.

Again, there's an in-between. I'm trying to help the devs come up with some sort of system to help players fight more than just 2 to 3 battles a day.

+1 to your last paragraphs. We fight a few people for a few minutes in a small world that takes seconds to traverse "great" distances, and then we take the rest of the day off uneventfully. I'm not big on limiting rests because I don't want to discourage people from going to camp, but I do see how the way rest is situated in the rest of the game can be immersion-breaking.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
You think 2-3 fights per Long Rest is good. That's not good.
party of players should be able to at least clear an area before long resting.
I dont see any contradiction here ...
Funny enough in BG-3, 2-3 fights equalls an area. O_o

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 28/06/22 07:57 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

You think so? Hmm. Maybe.

Beach - Intellect Devourer, fisherman.
Crypt - Gimble, Mari/Barton, Scribes, maybe tieflings with Lae'zel
Grove - initial fight, bugbear, harpies, goblins in cave, maybe the entire camp if you piss off everyone
Forest - spiders in Harper Camp, Ed's siblings, Owlbear Cave
Moonhaven - goblins at east gate, goblins at south gate, ogres, goblins at windmill, bugbear and ogre mates, skeletons in Necro lair, ettercaps and phase spiders, phase spiders and matriarch
Bog - redcaps, mud mephits and wood woads, monster hunter, the 4 Masks, Hag

I guess it depends on what you consider an area because based on the above I guess you're right... Sorta. Hard to say really because it's all one smashed together area.

See, I'd probably include both the beach and crypt as 1 because you COULD go through the crypt right off the beach. So, if you include both as 1, that's 5-6 fights. Grove and forest are kinda 1 also. So, what is that? Maybe 6. Moonhaven is roughly 8 unless you consider the spider lair not apart of the village. Bog is 5 unless you split bog and hag's lair into two areas.

So, fair enough. Could be 2-3 per area if you slice it a certain way.

Still... My point remains. 2-3 less than 1 minute fights is a poor adventure day. My characters eat and sleep, get up, head out, spend 5 minutes progressing towards their objective and rest for 24 hours with mind flayer parasites eating their brains.

This versus a true D&D campaign - Descent into Avernus. Fight Cult of Dead Three at bath house. Fight cultists in Bhaal's area. Fight cultists in Bane's area - 1 has a nasty flail that is great in your PCs hands. Fight cultists in Myrkul's area. Fight cultists in several more areas. Fight zombies locked away. Fight more cultists. Free prisoners. Fight more cultists. Reach boss fight. Maybe a total of 12 fights, maybe more. I'm going based solely on memory right now. And trust me. They were not trash mobs. Players short rested once, dealt with lots of traps and explored 3 separate maps in 1 area. Bath house, dungeon west and dungeon east. Then to top it off, on their way out, another fight just because with Dragon Cultists.

Yeah. Quite the difference between the two. Descent into Avernus makes players feel they really accomplished something big in 1 adventuring day. BG3 makes you feel like you're barely doing anything in 1 adventuring day. 2-3 fights? Per day? No. That's bad Roleplaying.

R
old hand
old hand
R

You think so? Hmm. Maybe.

Beach - Intellect Devourer, fisherman.
Crypt - Gimble, Mari/Barton, Scribes, maybe tieflings with Lae'zel
Grove - initial fight, bugbear, harpies, goblins in cave, maybe the entire camp if you piss off everyone
Forest - spiders in Harper Camp, Ed's siblings, Owlbear Cave
Moonhaven - goblins at east gate, goblins at south gate, ogres, goblins at windmill, bugbear and ogre mates, skeletons in Necro lair, ettercaps and phase spiders, phase spiders and matriarch
Bog - redcaps, mud mephits and wood woads, monster hunter, the 4 Masks, Hag

I guess it depends on what you consider an area because based on the above I guess you're right... Sorta. Hard to say really because it's all one smashed together area.

See, I'd probably include both the beach and crypt as 1 because you COULD go through the crypt right off the beach. So, if you include both as 1, that's 5-6 fights. Grove and forest are kinda 1 also. So, what is that? Maybe 6. Moonhaven is roughly 8 unless you consider the spider lair not apart of the village. Bog is 5 unless you split bog and hag's lair into two areas.

So, fair enough. Could be 2-3 per area if you slice it a certain way.

Still... My point remains. 2-3 less than 1 minute fights is a poor adventure day. My characters eat and sleep, get up, head out, spend 5 minutes progressing towards their objective and rest for 24 hours with mind flayer parasites eating their brains.

This versus a true D&D campaign - Descent into Avernus. Fight Cult of Dead Three at bath house. Fight cultists in Bhaal's area. Fight cultists in Bane's area - 1 has a nasty flail that is great in your PCs hands. Fight cultists in Myrkul's area. Fight cultists in several more areas. Fight zombies locked away. Fight more cultists. Free prisoners. Fight more cultists. Reach boss fight. Maybe a total of 12 fights, maybe more. I'm going based solely on memory right now. And trust me. They were not trash mobs. Players short rested once, dealt with lots of traps and explored 3 separate maps in 1 area. Bath house, dungeon west and dungeon east. Then to top it off, on their way out, another fight just because with Dragon Cultists.

Yeah. Quite the difference between the two. Descent into Avernus makes players feel they really accomplished something big in 1 adventuring day. BG3 makes you feel like you're barely doing anything in 1 adventuring day. 2-3 fights? Per day? No. That's bad Roleplaying.

Fewer fights make them more interesting.
A random example - the goblins in the village.
If you set them on flat ground, the fight would be as interesting as fighting the kobolds in Kingsmaker.
Due to the fact that they are placed on the rooftops, the fight is much more interesting and more difficult because your melee have to get to the place.

If the game were adapted to a larger number of encounters, it would have to be much simpler. Which would end up with trash mobs at the WotR level. I don't feel like fighting a group of kobolds in TB.
Let's take the fight, for example, that the Spectator. If he had the standard amount of hp, the fight would be a joke and he would be killed in one turn.
Also, spamming cantrips in combat is not an interesting project.
Tougher fights with more intelligent enemies are always better.

There is no point in comparing a computer game to PnP because it is completely different.

Last edited by Rhobar121; 28/06/22 10:59 AM.
veteran
veteran
Hard to say really because it's all one smashed together area.
Indeed.

But you can see Larian phylosophy here ...
If you concider hells and beach to be adventure enough you can call it a day ... or you can go futher ... its up to you.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
Fewer fights make them more interesting.
A random example - the goblins in the village.
If you set them on flat ground, the fight would be as interesting as fighting the kobolds in Kingsmaker.
Due to the fact that they are placed on the rooftops, the fight is much more interesting and more difficult because your melee have to get to the place.

If the game were adapted to a larger number of encounters, it would have to be much simpler. Which would end up with trash mobs at the WotR level. I don't feel like fighting a group of kobolds in TB.
Let's take the fight, for example, that the Spectator. If he had the standard amount of hp, the fight would be a joke and he would be killed in one turn.
Also, spamming cantrips in combat is not an interesting project.
Tougher fights with more intelligent enemies are always better.

There is no point in comparing a computer game to PnP because it is completely different.

Look. I'm obviously not going to convince you differently. You are dead set on 2-3 fights is the sweet spot for a video game.

I will say this, however, perhaps for anyone else who might buy into your belief that it MUST be 2-3 fights to create meaningful encounters per adventuring day. There is an in-between. I understand you've played games with boring trash mobs and you think that if they have 10 battles in a game that they must all be trash mobs and therefore boring and sucky.

But there is an in-between. It doesn't have to be either "2-3 Meaning Fights" or "10+ Trash Mob Fights with 1 Meaningful Fight." If that was the case, D&D wouldn't exist at all.

There are 300 monsters in the D&D 5e monster manual. 300! They all have unique stories and backgrounds and abilities. A video game could utilize more monsters instead of having repeat encounters over and over again.

You used kobolds as an example. Yes. Fighting 6 kobolds in this room, 6 more in that room, 6 more in this room, and 6 more in that room, all with the same stats and so forth is certainly not all that exciting. But this is a cookie-cutter approach to encounter building.

And that's why I said that the prologue in BG3 would be MUCH better if they didn't use imps but instead used monsters more suited for level 1 players. While players are moving through the nautiloid, first encounter could be maybe 3-6 lemures - baby devils that are like grimers from pokemon. 3-6 lemures against 2 level 1 characters and maybe an Ustilagor (Us) would be a relatively challenging encounter, and the monsters wouldn't need to be nerfed. It would be an exciting fight because you are outnumbered by these nasty blob devils. They might have low AC and do low damage, but that's the point. You don't WANT monsters who can literally kill you in 1 hit.

Unlike what they went with. 3 imps. 3 IMPS! Resistance means half damage when you hit, so even 7 HP is 14 and would require possibly 3-6 hits to kill just 1 depending on how well you roll for damage. And then, to top it off, they are supposed to have Stings with their tails. Poisonous stings. 1d4+3 physical damage and 3d6 poison. Even a fighter at level 1 only has maybe 12-13 HP. A single sting from an imp could fell Lae'zel. If they crit you? Dead. Insta-kill. Meanwhile, monsters like lemures only do 1d4 damage. Period. So, if you get hit, NOT a potential insta-kill or insta-incapacitate. You might have two or three of them attacking you, and they might all even hit you, but you don't fall because they're literally only taking 1-4 damage each time. Even baby wizard PC can handle a few lemures, but a single imp could 1-Hit KO a wizard without hardly batting an eye.

But again, mix it up. First fight is lemures. Second up on the deck is a couple of thralls. They're baby thralls who only get +2 to hit and maybe 1d6 damage. Slightly tougher, but nothing that will possibly kill a PC in one hit. Maybe 2 or three hits will fell a PC, but not a 1-Hit KO. Like the lemures, they might only have 7 HP, so YOU can possibly 1-Hit KO them, but not the other way around.

The fights are still tough, mind you. Why? Because you can't just full restore each time. First fight may have reduced your PCs to 3/4 health. Second fight reduces to 1/2. Ah! But you got some healing potions. You use them and restore to full. Next fight reduces to half health. Eek! Now you're hurting. Hope you find something soon. Ah! More potions from the generous DM who doesn't want his PCs to die.

You see, the true way encounters are supposed to be built is that each fight has the potential to totally wipe the party, but that potential is not so high that one bad RNG session totally kills them without giving them even a chance to survive. Again, I point out the imps versus the lemures. Lemures can be very challenging and even deadly if in large enough numbers. A DM can use them to create a VERY scary encounter that brings the PCs to death's door. However, lemures even in greater numbers are more appropriate for level 1 characters because their damage potential is much lower as individuals. There is a greater chance that characters will survive against a horde of lemures than a single imp because again, a single imp can 1-Hit KO a PC and even kill them with that single hit while there is very little chance that a single lemure will 1-Hit KO a PC. Only 2 or 3 working together against a single PC will likely take them down if they get extremely lucky. Thus, MUCH more appropriate.

Next fight, mix up the combat again. Larian created hellsboars. Have them be the next fight. Maybe 3 lemures and a hellsboar. Oooh! Fight is interesting and yet still very appropriate because you are fighting only a few lemures (boring) but also a new monster (interesting). New monster has new stats and abilities to learn.

So, in conclusion and summary of that point, the only reason lots of fights are boring in video games is because devs fashion the encounters with cookie-cutter trash mobs (the same encounters over and over again). There is nothing wrong with fighting kobolds. They can be very interesting enemies. But instead of using what makes them interesting, and mixing it up with other interesting monsters, etc. most devs just take a single monster and slap it all over the map. Understandably so, mind you, because creating unique monsters and encounters is a lot more work than simply taking 1 monster and copy/pasting it everywhere. But that's not the point. We're talking what CAN be done.

And, on that note, what even CAN be done in BG3 is Larian could take what monsters they did create and mix them up throughout at more appropriate levels. Instead of 3 intellect devourers in the nautiloid, why not some fishermen infected by intellect devourers. You fight the fishermen and kill them, an easy to moderate challenge, only to have the devourers spring out. However, not wanting to face you, because they sense the parasites in you, and because they are ambush predators by nature, they jump out of their hosts and run away. Hmmm. Not a super tough fight with a high chance of dying, but interesting because you immediately ask yourself, "Why did they run away?" Also interesting because they TOOK PEOPLE OVER. So, immediately, the player is thinking, "Dang. I can't trust anyone. Anyone I encounter could be actually an intellect devourer.

And I absolutely do not believe that PnP is not able to be translated into a video game. You CAN compare the two because they are NOT completely different. Do you know why they are thought to be completely different? People make them completely different and refuse to believe that they are not different.

The core mechanics in D&D 5e can be translated into a video game with obvious exceptions being minor ones. Certain spells, naturally, would not translate into a video game, for example. But the core mechanics can. And, what Larian HAS proven, is that a DM CAN be translated into a video game as well. How have they proved this? The sheer volume of dialogue options they are providing players and the sheer freedom they provide players to go wherever they want (within reason). They have proven that one of the most challenging aspects of a video game translation from a TT RPG can be done and done well. This is one of Larian's strongest points. Solasta has proven that the core combat mechanics for D&D 5e can also be implemented well, even implementing spells like flying and levitate. Sure, you may not like them all, but that's why Tactical Adventures created all those nifty options so players could turn off the rules they don't like.

You are kidding yourself when you say you can't compare the two. I absolutely cannot accept that because it has literally been done not only in video games like Solasta, but in TT programs like Fantasy Grounds, apps like the 5e companion I have on my tablet and phone, apps that allow you to create 3d maps and allow you to put pawns on the maps. All these things are computer-controlled apps that allow you to literally play an RPG 100% on computers and apps. The ONLY thing players add is themselves.

veteran
veteran
...they are supposed to have...

Do you ever stop to consider that maybe you'd enjoy the game more if you never opened a monster manual? That way you wouldn't be so full of "...they are supposed to have..." and instead you'd be able to appreciate what they do have.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK
...they are supposed to have...

Do you ever stop to consider that maybe you'd enjoy the game more if you never opened a monster manual? That way you wouldn't be so full of "...they are supposed to have..." and instead you'd be able to appreciate what they do have.

And what do we have in BG3? I mean. Really. What do we have?

Imps - no special abilities. They are just winged grunts who use standard weapons. No resistance. No stings. They can't even fly up and away from melee fighters. No invisibility. Nothing. Literally, they ARE turned into Level 1 grunt trash mob minions no better than thralls.
Thralls - no special abilities. They are just grunts who use standard weapons. No resistance. No special abilities. One might have a few spells, maybe, but overall, they're just trash mobs.
Intellect Devourers - no special abilities. They are just melee claw using grunts. No resistance. No special abilities. Nothing. Literally, they ARE turned into Level 1 grunt trash mob minions no better than a boar or a wolf. No. Worse. No special abilities like charge or knockdown.
Hellsboars - no breathing fire. No resistances. No special abilities. Just a different looking trash mob with low AC and HP fit for level 1 characters.

You guys constantly talk about how you hate fighting trash mobs all the time, but what Larian has done is turned a lot of monsters that SHOULDN'T be trash mobs into trash mobs. Am I wrong?

And the other problem I have with all of Larian's warped monsters is that they call them by monster names from the Monster Manual.

Phase Spiders. I encounter them. I am familiar with how they work because I've played D&D since the 80s. I know they are melee assassins who spring up on your party and try to attack you suddenly. You'll literally have seconds to respond and kill them before they attack you, and hard. Surround the mage! They can't get to him if you surround him!

Nope! Not in BG3. I encounter phase spiders and they're suddenly zipping around hundreds of feet from upper ledge to upper ledge attacking from 60 feet away! Suddenly, my mage is not safe. Bam! Mage is dead. All strategy I had going into the fight is out the window. My fighter, who could kick melee phase spider $#@$, is suddenly useless because she can't hit with a bow very well. Her dex is low. Phase Spiders are impossible to kill because I can't even get to them. My mage is dead because they spit poison several times from 2 different directions. What is this madness?

I'd much rather have ??? as the monster description and then later find out they are Teleporting Spitter Spiders than have them called Phase Spiders. Fine. At least then I know I'm dealing with something TOTALLY different. I won't assume my anti-melee phase spider tactics are going to work.

Same with mud mephits, wood woads, intellect devourers, imps, and virtually everything else in BG3.

But, even IF I could forget all of what I know about D&D, the fact remains that Larian monsters are not homebrewed to make them more interesting. They are homebrewed to make them LESS interesting. With the exception of the spiders - which, like I said, give them a different name and fine. They're a new kind of spider - most of them are nerfed and stripped of their uniqueness. So how is that fun and interesting monsters?

veteran
veteran
I wonder if you even see how perfectly are you prooving his point. :-/

R
old hand
old hand
R
Considering how much you liked pathfinder it's a bit weird. Enemy stats have absolutely nothing to do with pnp.
Why then should larian stick to them too?
I don't really care about mob stats and how much they are in line with 5e.
It does not matter at all, and I used the kobolds as an example of a banal enemy that is not a threat.
How is the fight to be interesting and interesting if most of the fights in the game are to be trivial enough for you to have 6-7 fights to rest. This means that at least 2/3 of these fights will not be the slightest challenge. In most fights you are limited to only cantrips which again means that the fight is extremely boring.
And that's the definition of trash mob.
What should I care about, even if each enemy in the game is unique, it doesn't suddenly make the fight challenging or interesting.
This is supposed to be a TACTICAL RPG game, not some 5e simulator.

veteran
veteran
You know what? I do. I am perfectly proving his point.

I know too much about how good the monsters COULD be if done well and right, and I know enough about D&D monsters to know that instead of providing us with the unique monsters they COULD be providing us with, based on what's already been designed and actually works well with D&D, they've been providing us with trash mobs that LOOK like unique monsters but have been completely stripped of all their unique abilities so that they can fit into the encounter molds Larian has created. Instead of lemures and dretches and other more appropriate devils at level 1, we get dumbed down, bland imps and intellect devourers with no uniqueness at all.

Yes. He is absolutely right. If I knew absolutely nothing about D&D - or if I just let go of all the previous lore and knowledge I have for Forgotten Realms - or if I squint hard enough, I would just be so happy with the game. Just play it and ignore all the things wrong with it. Sure. I could have lots of fun with it.

And, you know what? I have. That's why I'm out here. I've enjoyed the game. It's a blast. Like watching a movie and seeing a ton of plot holes. Ah. Just don't think too hard about all that stuff and have fun with it. Treat it like John Wick. You don't care about plot. You just want to see John Wick shoot people in the head or stab people with pencils.

So sure. Why not? If that's what Larian is going for, so be it. Create a Forgotten Realms fantasy game and call it the have-all-be-all of D&D 5e experience but then don't incorporate actual D&D 5e monsters and create a bunch of homebrew rules and such that make it actually not as much like D&D 5e as another game with a much smaller budget. Also, make it so that it is unimmersive and the gameplay is completely video-gamey and contrary to the story plot. Every time you start to really get immersed, something jumps out at you and makes it clear... Nope. This is just a video game.

Like the rest mechanics. Adventure 5 minutes. Camp for 23 hours and 55 minutes. Ah! Immersive gameplay at its finest. 2-3 fights and my party of 6 (2 remaining at camp doing nothing) are done for the day. Who cares we have tadpoles in our heads? Who cares that monsters are going to eat a bunch of tieflings and druids? 2-3 fights is plenty for me, thanks. I dont' have anything stressful or pressing to do anyway.

But I'll enjoy it, have fun with it, and view it for what it is if this is how they're going to continue to create the game...

NOT a serious D&D or Forgotten Realms or even fantasy game. Just another knock-off because that's what BG3 is right now. It's a KNOCK-OFF D&D game and NOT the gold standard it claims to be.

D&D monsters? Nope.
D&D rules? Nope.
D&D setting? Kinda.... sorta... but not exactly. I mean, some things are similar.
D&D lore? Kinda... sorta... but not exactly. I mean, some things are similar.
Immersive gameplay like day/night and weather? Not really.
Spells done right with spell focuses, wizards only being able to use wizard scrolls and clerics only able to use cleric scrolls, etc.? Nope.

Dude! Even ceremorphosis is not done right, and that's a major plot point. Gale, a supposed expert on the subject, doesn't tell you - "Um. Within literal hours of being infected, you cease to exist." Lae'zel is the same. Instead of saying, "It wouldn't matter after a few hours anyway," she and Gale both present it as, "It's a horrible experience that you'll be around to experience for an entire week."

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
Considering how much you liked pathfinder it's a bit weird. Enemy stats have absolutely nothing to do with pnp.
Why then should larian stick to them too?
I don't really care about mob stats and how much they are in line with 5e.
It does not matter at all, and I used the kobolds as an example of a banal enemy that is not a threat.
How is the fight to be interesting and interesting if most of the fights in the game are to be trivial enough for you to have 6-7 fights to rest. This means that at least 2/3 of these fights will not be the slightest challenge. In most fights you are limited to only cantrips which again means that the fight is extremely boring.
And that's the definition of trash mob.
What should I care about, even if each enemy in the game is unique, it doesn't suddenly make the fight challenging or interesting.
This is supposed to be a TACTICAL RPG game, not some 5e simulator.

OK. Here is where you are missing what I'm saying. You think, "Lots of fights = trash mobs and boring uninteresting fights." This is where you are missing the mark.

Right now, in BG3, Larian has literally turned imps into what you say you hate; TRASH MOBS. Imps are designed in D&D for the purpose of facing a full party of 4 Level 1 characters. 1 imp = 4 level 1 characters. 3 imps, therefore, = something more like 12 level 1 characters or maybe 6 level 2 characters or 4 level 3 characters - give or take.

What Larian has done is, "Hmmm. 3 imps are too tough. Guess we'll snip their tails and not even allow them to fly up in the air and give them normal weapons and strip them of invisibility and resistance." In other words, BG3 Imps = Trash Mobs. Boring. Uninteresting. Exactly what you are telling me that you hate and you don't want.

So, instead of Larian creating reasonable encounters with real Level 1 enemies like lemures and dretches, they've stripped tougher enemies down to the level of these "trash mob" enemies and convinced you that you are actually fighting super tough CR 1 enemies. But, in the end, they are just trash mobs.

Then... to boot... you only face a few of these trash mobs 2-3 fights worth, and you are prompted and encouraged to end your day.

So, let's clear something up. If I fight the Phase Spider Matriarch and I'm beaten up badly. I don't care if all I did that day was run to the well and fight that Phase Spider Matriarch. She's a real nasty boss fight, and if all my PCs do that day is fight a Phase Spider Matriarch teleporting spitter witch and her babies, then that's all I do that day. I'm good with that because she's a major and powerful evil I've just taken down. It'd be like facing a dragon. If I face a dragon and that's all I do that day, I'm good. Same with the gith patrol. Dang! They're tough.

Here's where my issue comes in. I fight goblins at the village gate. I short rest and use potions to heal. I fight goblins at the south gate. I short rest and use potions to heal. I've got about half spell slots used. I fight ogres and use all my spell slots and have no more short rests. Either I use lots of potions to heal or I long rest. 0 other options really. And even if I do use potions to heal because I have a ton, I don't get spell slots back. And what's more, my companions are saying they're tired. And what's more, dialogues are only triggered at camp, so if I want to see them all, I need to long rest. And what's more, I'm practically maxed out already on encumbrance because I can only take party of 4 when I have 2 more sitting back at camp, and I've found so much useless junk that I should probably go sell it to lighten the load. Oh, and btw, I have SO much food that why shouldn't I rest at this point. Besides, nothing bad will happen and nothing will change. Goblins won't find the grove, the ritual will never finish, the fire won't ever go out on the inn, the gith will just wait for us on the road, etc. etc. etc. So I barely did anything in Moonhaven, and already I'm resting after 2 goblin fights and 1 ogre fight.

What I'm suggesting would change this. Instead, I fight goblins at the village gate. Presently, I've only got 200 Camping Supplies. It costs me 60 for 1 Long Rest. That's 1/3 of my total Camping Supplies for 1 rest. I defeat the goblins at the gate and SR, but only 2 party members need it. The rest I use lesser potions to heal a few hit points to full. half spell slots used. Only used 8 camping supplies out of 200. So, 192 left. Still 3 good LRs worth. I'm feeling good right now.

Fight goblins at south gate. SR. This time, all 4 need to use HP Recovery and potions. Fight ogres. Use all spell slots. SR. 2 PCs who didn't use all of their HP Recovery gain a considerable amount and I use a few lesser potions to heal them up the rest of the way. The other two used ALL their HP Recovery. You know what? I can just switch them out and bring in the 2 totally fresh companions sitting on their thumbs at camp. The adventure now continues. 2 new companions have fresh spell slots and maximum number of HP Recoveries remaining. The other 2 are not doing as good, but are full HP and some abilities reset because of SR.

I continue through Moonhaven - still the same day, mind you. Fought 2-3 battles and I can still keep going.

Stop. Notice, I haven't even suggested changing ANY encounters so far. All I'm changing is the rest mechanics.

Let's continue. Go up to windmill. Goblin encounter. Now I'm on fight 4. Goblins hurt me fairly good, and my two fresh companions need a SR. I don't have anymore for my 2 who have been already adventuring all day, but my two fresh companions have some. I can compensate by a few extra potions for those more tired companions while focusing primarily on HP Recovery for the fresh ones.

We continue. Fight sleeping bugbear. Fight bugbear and ogre. 2 more fights. Now up to 6. Still haven't changed ANY encounters in the game. Exactly the same game. Difference? I can continue my adventuring day. I SR again after the bugbear and ogre. Use a few more potions. Hmmm. Now I'm kinda at my limit. Next time I fight, I should probably rest unless things go really well.

And how many camping supplies have I used? 5 SR, I think it was. So, 40 camping supplies. I still have 160 left. Ah, but wait. I found 20 more while exploring. I'm up to 180. Still enough for 3 long rests.

The adventure continues. Still same day. Party is STILL going. Reach Risen Road. Head west. Do the entire inn area. Still going. I reach the gith patrol. AH! They're tough. I'm not ready for them. They are kicking my butt. 2 Options: Use that handy Flee feature that I love that they added, or keep fighting and hope I win and if not, that's what reload is for. Either way, I've done a LOT more in a single adventuring day than with the current mechanics.

And why? MORE OPTIONS. The resting mechanics are more robust and meaningful. There is strategy to them. SR is not just a quick heal button for the entire party whether party members need it or not. You can short rest 8 times, and each time only 1 character might use an HP Recovery. Don't you see? This encourages players to switch out their party members and keep going. Those at camp who are fresh can help continue the adventuring day because they have full SR HP Recovery to use. With the current mechanics, once you've used your 2 party SR limit, you're done. That's it. No more options to keep going besides spending potions to heal.

And besides all that, Warlocks and Monks and Druids get the shaft because of the hard SR limit of only 2. Warlocks get 2 spell slots at most in EA. 2. That's it. SR twice for 6 total. Lift that limit and Warlocks regain their spells A TON! This is partially what makes a warlock so freaking awesome as a spellcaster. It's what sets them apart from druids and wizards and sorcerers who get MORE spell slots per long rest.

So take Wyll. He's in your party and supporting you from behind with Eldritch Blast, and each fight he uses Hex and Witchbolt. You fight the goblins at both gates and the ogres. In between each fight, you short rest to reset his spell slots. He's taken no damage at all because he's hanging back. Wyll is still full strength at the end of 3 fights. Were those fights challenging and fun? Yes! Is Wyll kicking butt now and still able to keep going? Yes!

And you know what? Lae'zel too. Why? Each SR restores her Second Wind and Action Surge. After 3 fights, she's used mostly Second Wind to recover a good portion of her HP. She hasn't had to use many HP Recovery slots (or Hit Dice or whatever). So she's practically fresh too and can still keep going. Why? SR limit lifted. It's now costing SOMEthing - Camping supplies. So it's not TOTALLY free. But it's not killing the player by causing them to freak out about camping supplies. It's enough of a cost that it makes the player consider not continuing short resting at some point and maybe do a long rest.

THIS is what I'm trying to get across. Same fights. No different. What's different? Resting mechanic encourages short rests and continuing the adventuring day as opposed to resting mechanics encouraging 2-3 fights and then sleep your life away.

Last edited by GM4Him; 28/06/22 08:44 PM.
veteran
veteran
I know too much about how good the monsters COULD be if done well and right
This very sentence kinda shows you are either dont want to see, or dont understand what he was trying to say tho. :-/

You keep talking as if DnD rules were the only way to make things right ... but that is just not so. :-/
Those books only offer one of possible ways, and litteraly anything other is just as "corect" ... its even said in those books, right there on first page. laugh

I really like what you're suggesting both this and the other similar thread. Warlocks live around SR, building a system where each SR costs something, but without any quantity restrictions is good, because that's what differentiates warlocks among other spellcasters. Right now sorcerer/wizard are stronger witout any doubt, there's disbalance because of that SR restriction

Last edited by mercurial_ann; 28/06/22 09:13 PM.

veteran
veteran
I know too much about how good the monsters COULD be if done well and right
This very sentence kinda shows you are either dont want to see, or dont understand what he was trying to say tho. :-/

You keep talking as if DnD rules were the only way to make things right ... but that is just not so. :-/
Those books only offer one of possible ways, and litteraly anything other is just as "corect" ... its even said in those books, right there on first page. laugh

Ugh

For the love of all that is good and holy!

Ragnarok. I LOVE it when people create new monsters and enemies and think outside the box. Shoot! The Phase Spider Matriarch is one of my favorites. I have NO problem with her except that they call her a phase spider. And, you know what? Again, I have no problem with spiders teleporting and spitting. Yay! New types of nasty spiders. Call them something besides phase spiders.

And I encourage Larian. Create MORE new monsters and enemies. I love that they've made each goblin unique and special. Every goblin has a name and personality. That's immersive. That's awesome. That's great. They're not all cookie-cutter goblins. LOVE it!

Now that that's said, let's get to the rest of it.

The game IS D&D. It IS Forgotten Realms. If I'm playing Pathfinder, and the elves are aliens from another planet, that's great. If I'm playing BG3 and the elves are aliens from another planet, there's something weird and wrong with that. I'm not playing a game with elf lore that says they are aliens, so even if they look like elves, don't say they are elves. You can call them Bistary Elves because they come from the planet Bistary and they look like elves so people assumed they were. You can all them Cha Cha Elves because they come from the Plane of Dance and look like elves. But don't tell me they are Moon Elves but they have absolutely no Moon Elf abilities and stats and so forth.

This is what I'm getting at. Imps that don't sting, turn invisible, fly into the air to avoid melee attacks, and have no resistances are not imps. They're imp-looking creatures, but they aren't imps. Call them Stumpy Tailless Avernian Imps, or whatever, I don't care, but don't just leave them as imps as if they are supposed to have all of the above mentioned abilities. Same with intellect devourers. Don't call them intellect devourers. A good name has already been developed for baby intellect devourers. Call them Ustilagors and it makes more sense and D&D fans who play the game will know they aren't supposed to have all the stats and abilities of a typical intellect devourer.

And again, my main points are that Larian took legit monsters and nerfed them to the point of creating TRASH MOBS. WHY??????? Why take a monster that can fly, turn invisible, has resistance to standard weapons, can sting the crap out of a level 1 character and 1-Hit KO them, and turn them into a petty thug trash mob grunt with wings that can only hover and not actually fly? THAT is my issue. It makes no sense. Use a lemure or any number of other devils people have created over the years. Don't take something that exists and rip its guts out and leave it a shell of what it should be - but then give it the same name.

It's like saying, "You're fighting a bird," but then you describe the creature as running up to you instead of flying, it bites you instead of pecks, it barks, and it tries to thrash you. Are you really fighting a bird or a dog?

Also, you can conjure an imp with find familiar through the pact of the chain, and the conjured imp CAN sting and CAN turn invisible. nonsense)

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard