Next Thread
Print Thread
W
wolf667 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Hello everyone, I don't speak English well, so I'm writing through a translator.

I have a suggestion to increase the importance of the rope in the game, it is found everywhere but not used in any way, to add the ability to throw a boarding cat on the roof of the ledge (a similar system was "Xcom enemy unknown"). Or vice versa for the descent from the hill. After the throw, it becomes possible to climb a hill on a rope and everyone can use it, even opponents, a boarding cat can be cut off or burned, like almost any ladder. And for druids, give the opportunity to use the thorn vine as a boarding rope (without a resource in the form of a focus with concentration, which will increase the popularity of druids and the mobility of the group around the game world) with the addition of an alternative ability.
And it would also be interesting to be able to weave a rope ladder across the abyss where it will be necessary to throw a cube on acrobatics to move along it (opponents will try to set fire to or somehow spoil such a bridge in the first place so that there are no campers on it).

veteran
veteran
I'm not sure it would still be possible to add such a feature, but it's definitely an idea I like a lot !

A better use of "verticality" than the current ridiculous shove/superheroes-like jump imo.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 01/07/22 10:22 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Also, there is a spell called Rope trick. Quote "You touch a length of rope that is up to 60 feet long. One end of the rope then rises into the air until the whole rope hangs perpendicular to the ground. At the upper end of the rope, an Invisible entrance opens to an extradimensional space that lasts until the spell ends.

The extradimensional space can be reached by climbing to the top of the rope. The space can hold as many as eight Medium or smaller Creatures. The rope can be pulled into the space, making the rope disappear from view outside the space.

Attacks and Spells can't cross through the entrance into or out of the extradimensional space, but those inside can see out of it as if through a 3-foot-by-5-foot window centered on the rope.

Anything inside the extradimensional space drops out when the spell ends."

Larian doesn't implement it yet, but when they do, it will be fun

Last edited by mercurial_ann; 01/07/22 05:12 PM.

add hexblade warlock, pls
addict
addict
Originally Posted by mercurial_ann
Also, there is a spell called Rope trick. Quote "You touch a length of rope that is up to 60 feet long. One end of the rope then rises into the air until the whole rope hangs perpendicular to the ground. At the upper end of the rope, an Invisible entrance opens to an extradimensional space that lasts until the spell ends.

The extradimensional space can be reached by climbing to the top of the rope. The space can hold as many as eight Medium or smaller Creatures. The rope can be pulled into the space, making the rope disappear from view outside the space.

Attacks and Spells can't cross through the entrance into or out of the extradimensional space, but those inside can see out of it as if through a 3-foot-by-5-foot window centered on the rope.

Anything inside the extradimensional space drops out when the spell ends."

Larian doesn't implement it yet, but when they, it will be fun

That is one of those spells that I'd be very surprised if they get implemented since they either has no effect on the game play/world or too much effect. So I wouldn't keep my hopes up for a "when".

Edit: ^ IE spells that doesn't help with combat, exploration, dialogue or other in game mechanics. Example: Why implement Alarm spell if there will be no random encounters when resting etc.
Or spells that would be too much trouble making in a visual media. Example: Spells that effect static surroundings like walls etc.
Or spells that will pass both exceptions above but are deemed to be too niche.

Last edited by PrivateRaccoon; 01/07/22 05:38 PM.
I tend to agree with you here, but imagine an arcane trickster hiding in extradimensional portal under the ceiling to ambush someone. What a fun concept this is

add hexblade warlock, pls
addict
addict
We can always hope smile

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Larian puts a lot of clutter in the world (and did so in DOS1+2 IIRC). It would be nice if all that clutter (or a lot of it) was useful in some fashion. From DOS2, they already make it necessary to use a shovel to dig up dirt patches. That's good. It would also be nice if the rope was usable in the way you are talking about it. Then we have heavy objects which are great for throwing. Still, making clutter useful so you think about how you might need it could be really cool, and it's a great way of unifying design/style with gameplay. They're also going in that direction with using food (and maybe having fresh food spoil?). Has anyone tried equipping torches with characters without darkvision? That would be cool, if it's not already implemented. Off the top of my head:
-If you are skilled in performance or are a bard, you should be able to play an instrument to grab the attention of people. Could be good for party stealth.
-As you mention, having a rope or rope-and-hook item could be great for adding verticality to combat. It could also maybe use a full round action as a lasso if your dexterity or strength is high enough, allowing for long-range grappling, like https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Lasso (Think Scorpion's "Get over here!")
-Not sure if there's crafting, but there's a lot of raw ingredients and empty bottles in the world... make bombs, potions, or poisons based on access to recipes? DOS2 had this IIRC.
-Lure or distract animals/monsters with bait or food?

This post was a little off-topic, but was inspired by your suggestion. At the end of the day, I hope every situation gives us an opportunity to turn our trash into treasure. To concur with some other suggestions here, giving the player many ways to engage in verticality (Portals, ropes, other spells), and giving them spells that affects movement and traversal would pair really well with varied terrain in combat encounters, to keep us from the same types of combat encounters.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
I can imagine that they could create specific places where you could tie rope to something ...
But honestly doubt it would be usable "anywhere" ... i doubt any engine is so advanced. frown

Personaly i was hoping that rope will get some uses when we knock out our enemies ... so we can tie them and take them to our cage in the camp ...

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I can imagine that they could create specific places where you could tie rope to something ...
But honestly doubt it would be usable "anywhere" ... i doubt any engine is so advanced. frown

Personaly i was hoping that rope will get some uses when we knock out our enemies ... so we can tie them and take them to our cage in the camp ...
That would be so cool!

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
veteran
veteran

You can put a piton and a rope on the top of any montains to go down in Wartales. Not sure the engine have to be "so advanced".
You can already move any items anywhere with very little limitations in BG3.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 02/07/22 11:23 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
You can put a piton and a rope on the top of any montains to go down in Wartales.
As i said ... pre-dephined (aka specific) places. wink

veteran
veteran
You can put a piton and a rope on the top of any montains to go down in Wartales.
As i said ... pre-dephined (aka specific) places. wink

Predifined by the items purpose ? Loool.

Its an open world game with mountains and cliffs everywhere and there aren't predifined and fixed spots for your pitons/rope.
You can put them wherever you want if it makes sense for the purpose of the item.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 02/07/22 04:10 PM.

veteran
veteran
Laughing to your own words? O_o
Are you feeling okey Max? :-/

veteran
veteran
Laughing to your own words? O_o
Are you feeling okey Max? :-/

Just to have to last word even about things you don't know smile
As usual.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 02/07/22 07:19 PM.

veteran
veteran
Not responding, nor providing any context ... and yet talking. :-/
As usualy. frown

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Anyway... it makes sense for classes to have greater mobility or verticality in certain situations. Right now, casters get misty step, fighters get a big jump, and rogues can move fast. Items, spells, and abilities from the preexisting Dnd rules can enhance that, and it would encourage bigger, more vertical, and more diverse combat areas, which in turn would provide for more diverse traversal and more diverse combat encounters. The Harpies are a good example of a vertical enemy, while the Adamantium Guardian fight uses verticality concerns while superheating the Guardian. Not every mobility enhancer also needs to be a verticality enhancer, and not every verticality enhancer needs to help mobility. I imagine a rope would be great for verticality, but poor for mobility. The rogue's dash is great for mobility, but poor for verticality. Misty step and big jump are great for mobility and verticality.

I would love a boss fight against a HUGE enemy that involves getting high enough to damage it in its face or other weak point, or low enough to get out of its line of sight. To get close enough to harm it, but far enough to stay out of its arm's reach if necessary.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Rope is the kind of thing I carry around for vague RP reasons, along with water and torches (although I rarely use them). Rope is so versatile in the real world, it feels odd that it does nothing in BG3. Providing extra mobility would be great, but I’d settle for almost any use at all.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.

Link Copied to Clipboard