Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
veteran
veteran
When people post their characters on Reddit (or anywhere else), I see it as them being excited about their character and the game, which I think is great because I am too!😊

I like the character creator because I can easily create a character that looks good to me. More hairstyles and faces would be great as well, though.

Last edited by Icelyn; 03/07/22 04:34 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Niara
This is not a character creator worth being called as such, and the 'show you or character' threads reams and reams of same-face same-character pictures is an excellent visual tool for demonstrating this.

Originally Posted by OcO
Half of the BG3 reddit at this point is "Look at my hot new Tav" threads. And they basically all look the same.

Originally Posted by Boblawblah
that's what kills me, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. How do people think all of these characters are unique? they're all the same face with VERY minor mutations with different hair styles/color.

Ok, so it wasn't just me. I thought it was something weird to witness, but no one ever said a thing about it.

For what little it matters I don't find the character creator in this game egregiously bad as Niara seems to think it is. It's just... basic, without much to offer in terms of variety and appealing options (but this is more a matter of personal taste, I guess).

Nothing that they couldn't improve just adding "more of everything" for the record.

I 100% agree. It's no Skyrim messing with nose and jawline with sliders, but it is better than a LOT of games. And yes, more would make it so much better.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Icelyn
When people post their characters on Reddit (or anywhere else), I see it as them being excited about their character and the game, which I think is great because I am too!😊

I like the character creator because I can easily create a character that looks good to me. More hairstyles and faces would be great as well, though.

I also see it as people showing off gear, mods, etc. But yeah. People are having fun with it. It's good for the game.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Leucrotta
This is what I thought might be the reason initially....but with the Dwarven, Gnomish, and in particular the Gith faces, Larians seems certainly able and willing to tweak the face scans to get them 'right'. So the usage of face scans seemingly unaltered (save for the ears) to use for elves is a bit of a mystery. My only speculation I have for them is that they don't think people would be as receptive to 'alien' looking elves and so decided to go with more conventionally-attractive looking head models.

As for the larger discussion on how good Larian's character creation is....I think It's *OK*. Elves get screwed again with hair options since almost all of them clip with their ears, 2 voices of each type is really unfortunate, and I hope it's not because they are planning to make 'Tav' voiced. Piercings should be available to everyone instead of limited to a specific subclass, etc.

I think it seems underwhelming because of the focus on cinematic up close shots and animated cutscenes etc. The limitations in character creation there make what would otherwise be pretty good look....not so pretty good.

Particularly, I meant that within a specific race, many of the heads are duplicates with minor modifications. Some heads may also be shared across races, but I don't remember that so much. But with the exception of Gith, even the racial modifications to the human face scans are not particularly extreme.

But that wasn't really the point I was making. I LIKE the face quality, and I don't want elves to look other-worldly ( I don't even like the current ridiculously pointed ears; the D&D elves were originally only slightly pointy-eared ). What I was illustrating is that using face-scans reduces the ability to customise the face shape to approximately zero. In EA, this usually means you only get about 3 genuinely distinct head choices for any given race/gender combintaion.

It's a technology choice Larian made that has obvious consequences, both good and bad.

L
addict
addict
L
Originally Posted by GM4Him
And, just curious... How is this much different from BG3 elves - humans with pointy ears?

And this is the portrait I chose for Diadell for NWN. Her boxy avatar is atrocious.

For the record, though, this portrait really is closest to my original concept of her.
Well, for what it's worth, IIRC NWN was absolutely lousy with reusing stock photos, pictures of celebrities just photoshopped to look vaguely fantasy-y. So they often look a little out of place.

I love how the elves look in BG3! celebrate
They do look beautiful. I think they also look indistinguishable from half elves, and from humans (if you cover the ears) Which just seems a bit wrong to me.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Bust slider or boop!... I mean, boop slider or bust!

I do agree with the character creation being very underwhelming for a game that embraced the cinematic dialogues a-la late Bioware. Not to mention that the origin characters don't really resemble their key art as far as build goes - the aformentioned slider combined with buff-er arms and the missing tattoo would give Shadowheart a far more authentic look in-game. She does have a much more boyish appearance on the loading screens. As for the faces - it is a big bummer to just encounter your clones (and copies of characters) here and there. The female human head with the mole and the heavy stare, for example, can literally be found on two characters that are practically several steps away from each other (one of Aradin's companions and the cultist girl by Edowin).

veteran
veteran
Again, I think BG3 could improve character creation for all races with more options, but seriously. Think of the cRPGs of the past and their character creations.

KOTOR. Not great. You had basic character options, but nothing all that diverse.
SWTOR. Okay, but still wasn't that much more options than BG3.
NWN. Portraits were great, but avatar options, no. And the avatars were terrible, like FF7.
NWN 2. Better. Much better. Still, when I compare characters I've made in NWN 2 to BG3, nowhere near as good.
NWN Online. It's good. Lots more diverse options and picks, but the overall image quality isn't anything super great. Before BG3, mind you, it was my go to for avatar creation. I loved my Half-Orc Barbarian Drogyn, and my dragonborn Kiryn, and my drow Lynari. Still, not as high quality as BG3.
BG1 and 2. Yeah. No. Same with Icewind Dales.
Even Skyrim is not great, in my opinion. Lots of options, but dark elves and elves look terrible, in my opinion, and half-orcs are meh. Sure, lots of sliders and such, so much more diversity, but overall I still think BG3 models look more appealing and better.

Never played Dragon Age or whatever, so I can't say anything in that regard, but there are a LOT of cRPGs that BG3's character creation beats out. At least in my opinion.

veteran
veteran
The CC of Dragon Age Inquisition is pretty good. The Hair options are not so nice, but mods help with that. You can make really unique faces with that.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
addict
addict
So far, the best avatar creator I've seen is Elden Ring even though it lacks non traditional hair color schemes and ofc is only for humans. Which is funny considering that the first thing you do is cover your whole character in armor from head to toe :P

enthusiast
enthusiast
Even in the very first Dark Souls the CC was tremendous. I can create literally anything there, and that was, what, 11 years ago?

It does look like the main problem Larian has with its own enfant terrible is its inability to modify shapes. There are seemingly no problems with colours; personally, I consider eye colours in BG3 to be the best of everything I've ever seen (not that I've seen much, but still).

But shapes... this is ridiculous. DS1 had 8 or 10 different body shapes, and it only got better in subsequent reinstalments. Compared to this, BG3 feels almost like Witcher (and I personally detest games with predefined protagonists).

veteran
veteran
Saito already mentioned it, but if I think of "good, flexible character creator that lets you do basically anything" I typically think of Dragon's Dogma.
Or City of Heroes, but MMOs are a bit of a separate topic...

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Leucrotta
I love how the elves look in BG3! celebrate
They do look beautiful. I think they also look indistinguishable from half elves, and from humans (if you cover the ears) Which just seems a bit wrong to me.
That’s the look I like for elves! 😊 I don’t like the ugly alien elf look in Elder Scrolls, for example.

Last edited by Icelyn; 04/07/22 01:07 PM.
veteran
veteran
I don’t like the ugly alien elf look in Elder Scrolls, for example.
I do. frown

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
Nahhh.
Elves are supposed to be hauntigly beautiful in D&D, so the Elder Scrolls look wouldn't cater for that in my opinion. I agree that a little more work to help them look otherworldly though would help here as they do look a little to human. Great for 1/2 looks.

I also agree that the CC Tool is rather meagre in it's options, was hoping this was just a modicum of what would be available at launch.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RutgerF
Even in the very first Dark Souls the CC was tremendous. I can create literally anything there, and that was, what, 11 years ago?

It does look like the main problem Larian has with its own enfant terrible is its inability to modify shapes. There are seemingly no problems with colours; personally, I consider eye colours in BG3 to be the best of everything I've ever seen (not that I've seen much, but still).

But shapes... this is ridiculous. DS1 had 8 or 10 different body shapes, and it only got better in subsequent reinstalments. Compared to this, BG3 feels almost like Witcher (and I personally detest games with predefined protagonists).

Oh yes, Dark Souls. I spent ages in CC to make the perfect character and then I started as a zombielike undead and since I died a lot, I looked like that most of the time grin

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
I used https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/205?tab=files (New Character Creation Presets mod) on my recent playthrough, most of the faces tend towards the young super model type (very young in some cases), but at least there's a little more variety.

G
addict
addict
G
I agree that the faces and offerings right now seem too similar and would like more, but that is more of a full release thing and other things have priority IMHO. But yes, after seeing mods with different armor styles and clothing, this is something I hope they do add.

Their writer PR guy had to defend this massive time sink of PFH series on Twitter from the likes of us.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by gaymer
Their writer PR guy had to defend this massive time sink of PFH series on Twitter from the likes of us.
I've noticed the subreddit is having a field day with that stuff.
Because of course there's no target more convenient to hit than strawman not hitting back.

I don't think many people were ACTUALLY concerned about the PFH "slowing down development" in general, so it's a clarification that doesn't really solve anything.

Personally what I don't like about them is that all this pageantry creates a filter that slow down any direct communication.
When instead of talking to your community on a regular basis about what you are working on and what's coming you need to have a once-in-a -blue-moon over-produced variety show filled with awkward gags, how can that NOT be the case?

Case in point: we have a show in two days to promote the upcoming update and no one has the faintest clue of what it's supposed to introduce, aside for the bard class.

EDIT- Then again, this is the type of content that gets quickly popular there (well, that and massive simping brigades):

https://old.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/vs02e7/only_original_opinions_on_this_subreddit/

It's basically like having a board filled just with JandK clones getting catty at anyone expressing any malcontent about anything.

Last edited by Tuco; 05/07/22 04:09 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
This EA drives me nuts. I am frustrated not knowing what they're working on.

That said, I see the ingeniousness behind it and the PFHs. All this hype and pageantry keeps BG3 alive. Even after a year and a half, every PFH produces scores of articles and posts on Steam and here and Reddit, etc. People get excited about it all over again, and the next thing you know, more people are buying.

I wonder just how quickly we'd stop posting out here if they actually gave us answers to our questions.

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by GM4Him
This EA drives me nuts. I am frustrated not knowing what they're working on.

That said, I see the ingeniousness behind it and the PFHs. All this hype and pageantry keeps BG3 alive. Even after a year and a half, every PFH produces scores of articles and posts on Steam and here and Reddit, etc. People get excited about it all over again, and the next thing you know, more people are buying.

I wonder just how quickly we'd stop posting out here if they actually gave us answers to our questions.

Yes, it's a marketing ploy and promotion for the game. It's not actually about exchanging feedback or trying to provide answers

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard