Print Thread
S
san0j Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

1) Brackets "[no]" - pre selected if timer runs out. The default option will be either for user to set on individual spells/abilities, or just hardcoded in game for the most used option.

2) Having hotkeys for selection supports controllers/console - it will be even more visible with something like (A) or (B) button.

3) Yes/No is still clickable

4) This works something like a quicktime event in a cinematic story game.

5) It would be possible to have a preference for this in options. Selections could be: Unlimited time, do not show/always use default option, 3 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec

Someone has probably thought of similar systems before, but I wanted to throw it out there. Its a topic the community cares about. This is going to be a great game either way cool, just seems possible for reactions to have cake and eat it too.

apprentice
apprentice
I think that this isn't a bad idea at all, it seems reasonable and functional. Of course, I'm confident that Larian are already working on a better reaction system anyway, since reactions are a vital part of D&D 5e. I can understand that we don't have it, yet, because reactions are also highly dynamic - even if the conditions are met, players might choose not to take a reaction for various reasons.

Any character starts with the "Attack of Opportunity" reaction and all classes can easily get access to additional ones. Since player characters can only take one reaction per round, it seems necessary to allow players in BG3 to decide whether to react or not on a case by case basis. If reactions continued to happened automatically, then a character might not be able to take a reaction at a critical moment, because it was wasted earlier that round.

This is why I hope that the next huge patch will focus on (and introduce more) reactions. Having Gale around would be so much more pleasent, if he had the spell "Shield" prepared. Also, some reactions are somewhat complicated, so a better system is required unless Larian intend to heavily change reactions compared to D&D 5e rules.

As an example let's look at Monks' "Deflect Missile" feat: When hit by a ranged weapon a Monk can reduce the damage by 1d10 + their Dex modifier + their Monk level. If the damage is reduced to zero that way and the missile can be held in one hand, the Monk can catch it. At this point the player has to make another choice: They can leave it at that or spend a Ki point to throw the missile back where it came.

That means not only does the player need to be asked if they want to deflect the missile or not, if they do and reduce the damage to zero, they also need to be asked if they want to use the other part of that reaction, now that the conditions are met.

TLDR: While the reaction system that is in game right now will *probably* be changed before release anyway, it most certainly *should* be. Otherwise the reactions themselves would have to be customised in some way and I don't like that thought.

Last edited by Kasai; 08/07/22 12:33 PM. Reason: typos

Qc terxepssrw evi jypp sj aiewipw. Mrjsvq xli uyiir ws xlex wli qmklx wlss xliq eaec. Livi ai ks 'vsyrh xli qypfivvc fywl. Ks, qsroic, KS!
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by san0j
like a quicktime event in a cinematic story game.
Gods, anything but this shit again ... :-/

Unlimited time
Oh ...

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 08/07/22 12:46 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
We made similar suggestions in the past.
Here's a random quote from back then:

I've said it in the past: if they think that the pop-up solution is visually too crude they could work on presenting it in a fancier way.

For instance they could take a note from XCOM and have a dramatic zoom-in/slowdown and allow the player to quickly confirm the reaction with a left click or pass it with a right click.

But it's really important for the player to be allowed to choose a case-by-case basis.

THEN if some people are still willing to sacrifice control and efficiency for "convenience" (questionable) and automation: be my guest, make it an optional toggle.

and quite frankly it doesn't really look like Larian cared a single bit, so I'm not optimistic about things changing at this point.

Last edited by Tuco; 08/07/22 02:07 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
enthusiast
enthusiast
In my opinion, 'quick-time events' don't fit a turn-based tactical game. I think it's not too late for Larian to admit they're wrong and simply adopt Reactions a la Solasta. In the end, everyone makes mistakes, and no lasting harm would be done.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
and quite frankly it doesn't really look like Larian cared a single bit, so I'm not optimistic about things changing at this point.
I still choose to believe. I think current system simply doesn't work - I doubt many players engage with it, and as such it needs a change. With how hidden reactions are in new UI overhaul, it either means that Larian completely gave up on making reactions work, or an overhaul is coming and they didn't bother to implement reactions nicely into the new UI.

Sven did say that they are working on some form of reactions overhaul, and while I don't expect it will be precisely what I wish for it to be (which is pretty much what the post you quoted described - Solasta but with high production value and no crappy, poorly placed yes/no boxes) I still hope that something wil change.

Like with "swarm ai" development might take time - it's just frustrating that Larian isn't willing to communicate in more detail what they are working on and stick to "we will show it when it is ready".

journeyman
journeyman
Here is the problem with quick time events, chained Reactions within a single action.

Example:

Paladin with Smite and Bardic Inspiration, moving pass a simple goblin to attack a goblin shaman.

So, you move up to attack the goblin shaman, passing the simple goblin. The camera zooms in to the Paladin and goblin, prompting for "Use Bardic Inspiration for +4 AC?". You hit "No".

Next, as soon as you reach the Goblin Shaman to attack, the camera zooms in again, this time prompting to "Use Bardic Inspiration for +1d6 Attack?. You hit "No" due to low AC on the goblin shaman.

As soon as you land a hit, the camera zooms in again, this time prompting to "Use Smite for Attack?". Hitting yes, it immediately asks "What Up Casting (1d8 + Spell Level * 1d8)".

This is a lot of prompts just to move up and swing a weapon. Not only that, how would the animations play/sync with the prompt timing? Everything should be prompted up-front before animations, or as soon as each reaction triggers, mid animation, your prompt might make the animation have to perform other additional animations in the middle based upon the prompts.

I think we can get a compromise with the current Reactions system of having no prompts but you can pause the game during anyone's turn, and turn on/off any Reactions of any of your party, along with any Reaction toggles remembering their last state when you lose them.

This allows players to have their Reactions turned off, then when it's a specific creatures turn, they can pause and turn on the reactions they want/need, then un-pausing the game. That would add an interesting dynamic of a turn-based game that needs RTwP to allow for Reactions.

Last edited by Zyllos; 08/07/22 03:58 PM.
old hand
old hand
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

1) Brackets "[no]" - pre selected if timer runs out. The default option will be either for user to set on individual spells/abilities, or just hardcoded in game for the most used option.

2) Having hotkeys for selection supports controllers/console - it will be even more visible with something like (A) or (B) button.

3) Yes/No is still clickable

4) This works something like a quicktime event in a cinematic story game.

5) It would be possible to have a preference for this in options. Selections could be: Unlimited time, do not show/always use default option, 3 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec

Someone has probably thought of similar systems before, but I wanted to throw it out there. Its a topic the community cares about. This is going to be a great game either way cool, just seems possible for reactions to have cake and eat it too.

Yeah, I've been preaching for this since day one. o_o

S
san0j Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Yeah, I think I was thinking about the keys/buttons more than, and there being clear that you are might want to make an action... I agree that the camera-work part of QT events sounds horrible here! Would have to be a bit more low key, but with the reaction-box making enough movement to draw attention from a corner or something.

Your idea with pausing sound like it can work! Could be a hotkey for "pause between next initiative order" (I guess with swarm AI counting as a single one). Then a marker is shown that it will pause, while finishing current animation.

Point is, there are lots of options here. One of the things I like about 5e is counterspelling and shielding, and the tactics of picking who-what-when.

journeyman
journeyman
Yeah, I think I was thinking about the keys/buttons more than, and there being clear that you are might want to make an action... I agree that the camera-work part of QT events sounds horrible here! Would have to be a bit more low key, but with the reaction-box making enough movement to draw attention from a corner or something.

Your idea with pausing sound like it can work! Could be a hotkey for "pause between next initiative order" (I guess with swarm AI counting as a single one). Then a marker is shown that it will pause, while finishing current animation.

Point is, there are lots of options here. One of the things I like about 5e is counterspelling and shielding, and the tactics of picking who-what-when.

Ya, I think it's a compromise that might be able to accomplish most of what players want while not overhauling the Reactions system.

veteran
veteran
I've suggested this before, but I think a hybrid between the current toggle system, and Solasta's pop-up system would be best.

Originally Posted by Stabbey
I'm sure I've said it before, but I have my own idea for reactions, which combines elements from both Solasta and BG3 ways of doing it.

1. PC's can toggle what reactions they prefer, but there are still always reaction pop-ups. What the toggles do is set the default to either use or don't use the reaction. Example: a Wizard has Shield as "yes" and Opportunity Attack to "No".
2. If Larian really, really wants to keep things speedy for multiplayer, they could set it so that when a reaction is triggered, players have 6 seconds to respond. I'd be fine with an indefinite pause, though.
3. If players pick a choice, either use or pass, it happens immediately in both cases.
4. If the players instead wait for the 6-second timer to elapse, the default reaction gets used. If the prompting action is an archer shooting which will miss the Wizard's AC + 5, the Wizard will by default cast Shield using the lowest available spell slot. If the prompting action was a goblin running out of the Wizard's melee, the Wizard will do nothing.

This solution gives the players flexibility to use their resources how they want, and the timer on the reaction keeps the action moving fairly quickly even if the player has stepped away.

I have to say that I also like Solasta doing automatic Arcana checks when a spell which could be countered is going on. If the player passes the Arcana check, the Counterspell reaction prompt identifies the spell, letting you decide to take it or counter it. If you fail the check, all the reaction prompt says is "X is casting an Unknown Spell", and you have to gamble on whether it's worth the Counterspell usage or not.

I hope so much that larian will implement this. They talked about how their features are coming to the polish stages, and for me adding reaction system will complete the picture from the combat point of view

add hexblade warlock, pls
journeyman
journeyman
How does people think about leaving the Reaction system the way it is now, but allow pausing to happen at any time and you can turn on/off reactions of any of your PCs in the party?

AI can do the same thing, allowed to turn on/off reactions moving into each turn of the PC. Obviously the AI won't pause to turn these on/off, it just happens in the background and you won't notice. Probably, will happen at the beginning/end of every AI action knowing who will be acting next, but that is up to how Larian want's to implement it.

I think this a good compromise to get what people are more looking for out of the Reaction system while not having Larian to completely overhaul the system.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zyllos
How does people think about leaving the Reaction system the way it is now, but allow pausing to happen at any time and you can turn on/off reactions of any of your PCs in the party?

AI can do the same thing, allowed to turn on/off reactions moving into each turn of the PC. Obviously the AI won't pause to turn these on/off, it just happens in the background and you won't notice. Probably, will happen at the beginning/end of every AI action knowing who will be acting next, but that is up to how Larian want's to implement it.

I think this a good compromise to get what people are more looking for out of the Reaction system while not having Larian to completely overhaul the system.
That would require Larian to implement a full game pause, something it doesn't seem like they'll do likely because of multiplayer. There's been a few threads about such a topic.

But also, I wouldn't like it. Nothing should require timing while in turn-based mode. If I leave to go to the bathroom during combat, I shouldn't miss anything except having to watch the enemy/friends take their turns. If I had to choose between the current system and your suggestion, sure yours is strictly better. But it's not sufficient in my opinion.

Reactions should be a 3-toggle system: "pop-up prompt" / "activate automatically" / "off"

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Originally Posted by Zyllos

That would require Larian to implement a full game pause, something it doesn't seem like they'll do likely because of multiplayer. There's been a few threads about such a topic.

But also, I wouldn't like it. Nothing should require timing while in turn-based mode. If I leave to go to the bathroom during combat, I shouldn't miss anything except having to watch the enemy/friends take their turns. If I had to choose between the current system and your suggestion, sure yours is strictly better. But it's not sufficient in my opinion.

Reactions should be a 3-toggle system: "pop-up prompt" / "activate automatically" / "off"

That is odd for you mentioning the "...implement a full game pause...". As far as I could tell, you can pause at any time except during AI's turn, but it required it for you to be the leader/host in multiplayer. Maybe I am mistaken.

So, from your point of view, it's better than what we would have, but you prefer full control. Sure, makes sense.

Link Copied to Clipboard