Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
V
V
Actually washed out colors is how lighting works naturally. If you point a beam of sunlight on a colored surface, a color wouldn’t crank up in its acidiest iteration, but will shift into white. I really didn’t like the cranked up colors of previous builds, yet I haven’t yet tried the current one. Judging by the screenshots they worked in right direction so far. Hoping to see they addressed the issue.

Romances in RPGs brought us to this
K
Banned
Banned
K
Originally Posted by VenusP
Actually washed out colors is how lighting works naturally. If you point a beam of sunlight on a colored surface, a color wouldn’t crank up in its acidiest iteration, but will shift into white. I really didn’t like the cranked up colors of previous builds, yet I haven’t yet tried the current one. Judging by the screenshots they worked in right direction so far. Hoping to see they addressed the issue.

You must be living in a different reality to me then, because there are no ‘washed out’ colours in the room in which I type this note. Only stark shades of light and dark. I’m not trying to sound like a smartass, but if someone was telling me that the world looks washed out, I’d be gently encouraging them to consult an optician.

The point of the OP’s post, however, was not about making the game look like reality. The game is ‘art’ – it has an art team, art assets etc. It also has an art style.

I don’t know any art movement called ‘washed out’ – but do send us on a few pics of it: I’d love to have a wee gander.

Like I said, chiaroscuro is an art style – it’s powerful and evocative and it’s based on a very simple thing: the contrast of dark and light. In fact, if you google the word, the photos of the style are taken from reality – there’s no photoshop involved in the presentation. If there was, the photography would have no merit.

I also don’t ‘get’ what you’re saying about the ‘cranked up’ colours of the previous builds.

Screenshot one – the same colour purple used: on the left it’s subtle to the point of almost being black – on the right it’s cranked up to the point of being my-little-pony level purple.

Regardless, I’ve already advocated a simple solution that will work for everyone’s tastes. And it involves virtually no technical effort, as I’ve clearly outlined in my previous post. A slider that alters shadow opacity and asset hues.

So you get your ‘washed out’ dreamworld (I’ll pass, personally) and the rest of us can get our dark shadows. At no technical cost.

They could probably ok this in one morning and have a pull request open 4 hours later, the effort is that minimal.

Last edited by konmehn; 09/07/22 07:39 PM. Reason: typo
veteran
veteran
It may come as surprise ... but im suggesting here exactly what i said. smile
Anything else you see there, is just in your mind. wink

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
I can hardly wait for patch 9.
What a settings and Baldur's Gate immersion disaster. This isn't Fearun but <D&D> sauced Rivellon.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
I can hardly wait for patch 9.
What a settings and Baldur's Gate immersion disaster. This isn't Fearun but <D&D> sauced Rivellon.

I thought they would have worked harder to distinguish the art styles of the two given this is Larian's first new IP title in... almost ever? Wouldn't that be a goal? And wouldn't the predecessors of this newly licensed title provide inspiration for the direction they should move in distinguishing the two properties, especially if they intend to hold onto the license in the long term?

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
stranger
stranger
Yeah, I have to agree. BGIII should be darker and grittier than the DOS serie. I’d revert the changes frown

veteran
veteran
I played the new patch today and yes, some of the hair colors make you blind. The environment is mostly ok for me as far as I have seen, but as someone, who spents a ridiculous amount of time in the cc, that is really ... taxing.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Sad story ...
I dont see any relation to anything tho. O_o

K
Banned
Banned
K
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Sad story ...
I dont see any relation to anything tho. O_o

Yeah, I've reconsidered and don't think it's relevant to the thread, so I've deleted. Now can you please clarify what 'I should save this quote for later uses' means, since I assume it's related to the OP's topic and I'd like to give you a proper answer.

veteran
veteran
It means that this quote could be usefull in the future, i shall save it, and if apropriate opourtunity appears (and i believe it will) i shall quote it.

I dont really know what do you want to hear. O_o

K
Banned
Banned
K
It means that this quote could be usefull in the future, i shall save it, and if apropriate opourtunity appears (and i believe it will) i shall quote it.

If you don't tell people why, specifically, it might be 'useful', or why you might want to quote it, then it can be misconstrued as a sarcastic remark, essentially inferring that you want to trip that person up. Since I assume that's not your intent, why specifically do you want to save the quote for 'later uses'?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by konmehn

If you don't tell people why, specifically, it might be 'useful', or why you might want to quote it, then it can be misconstrued as a sarcastic remark, essentially inferring that you want to trip that person up. Since I assume that's not your intent, why specifically do you want to save the quote for 'later uses'?

And more importantly Rag, and I guess the reason for the mistrust on konmehn's part, why let everyone know that you intend to save it? It feels like a weird thing to write without any other motive than saving it(which you can do without having all of us knowing) smile

veteran
veteran
If you don't tell people why, specifically, it might be 'useful', or why you might want to quote it
Various reasons ... for both.
I dont predict future, do you? O_o

We may talk about it once i quote it, then there will be "specific" reason for that "specific" situation ...
Until then ... what exactly would be the point, and how exactly should i even do that anyway? :-/

why specifically do you want to save the quote for 'later uses'?
Do you know deffinition of madness?
Its repeating the same thing over and over, while expecting different result ...

You asked this question for 4th time in row ...
So if you want to know the answer, go re-read previous 3 answers, it didnt change. :-/

---

Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon
I guess the reason for the mistrust on konmehn's part
Might be ...
I would guess its slight paranoya. :-/

But that dont really seems like my problem to solve. :-/

why let everyone know that you intend to save it?
Who said that message was meaned for "everyone" ?
Its just easier to write it here than PMing all certain people specificaly.

Those for wich it was meaned knows ... or could/should know ...
And if they dont, they will ... eventualy.

Or that opourtunity i expect never come and we all will forget this.
Time will tell.

It feels like a weird thing to write without any other motive than saving it(which you can do without having all of us knowing) smile
There is other motive, obviously ...
To let them know. wink

V
V
Originally Posted by VenusP

You must be living in a different reality to me then, because there are no ‘washed out’ colours in the room in which I type this note. Only stark shades of light and dark. I’m not trying to sound like a smartass, but if someone was telling me that the world looks washed out, I’d be gently encouraging them to consult an optician.

The point of the OP’s post, however, was not about making the game look like reality. The game is ‘art’ – it has an art team, art assets etc. It also has an art style.

I don’t know any art movement called ‘washed out’ – but do send us on a few pics of it: I’d love to have a wee gander.

Like I said, chiaroscuro is an art style – it’s powerful and evocative and it’s based on a very simple thing: the contrast of dark and light. In fact, if you google the word, the photos of the style are taken from reality – there’s no photoshop involved in the presentation. If there was, the photography would have no merit.

I also don’t ‘get’ what you’re saying about the ‘cranked up’ colours of the previous builds.

Screenshot one – the same colour purple used: on the left it’s subtle to the point of almost being black – on the right it’s cranked up to the point of being my-little-pony level purple.

Regardless, I’ve already advocated a simple solution that will work for everyone’s tastes. And it involves virtually no technical effort, as I’ve clearly outlined in my previous post. A slider that alters shadow opacity and asset hues.

So you get your ‘washed out’ dreamworld (I’ll pass, personally) and the rest of us can get our dark shadows. At no technical cost.

They could probably ok this in one morning and have a pull request open 4 hours later, the effort is that minimal.

I suggest you watch this video

It nails the topic very spot on. Even if you’re not a design person, it’s quite interesting nonetheless.

Romances in RPGs brought us to this
K
Banned
Banned
K
We may talk about it once i quote it, then there will be "specific" reason for that "specific" situation ...

If you've nothing to hide, then why can't you specify the reason for your remark? Isn't that what normal people do in normal civilised conversation?

Then again, you've called me both 'mad' and 'paranoid' directly, so I assume civilised conversation isn't your jam.

That's ok - I've let the moderators know and I'll be interested to hear their take, since I see from your post history you have a long record of calling people names and harrassing them. Only recently, I see you've called another individual a 'hypocrite'.

See, you can't be doing that sort of thing, mate. Crazy that I have to even write that.

Last edited by konmehn; 10/07/22 02:22 PM. Reason: typo
veteran
veteran
why can't you specify the reason for your remark?
I answered that question before ...
And i repeat once again: I DONT KNOW WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME.

Hint: If you will just repeat the same question, it dont help.

Isn't that what normal people do in normal civilised conversation?
Dunno ... where i am from, people in normal civlised conversation accept answers they get.
Instead of demanding them again, once they allready get them.

Then again, you've called me both 'mad' and 'paranoid' directly, so I assume civilised conversation isn't your jam.
And you called me "abnormal" and "uncivilised", so i gues we are even. O_o

Deffinition of madness was not done by me, if you dislike the word, deal it with Einstein.

As for paranoidity ... how else would you call that you out of nothing presume some nefarious reasons behind something for wich you dont know reason? O_o

That's ok - I've let the moderators know and I'll be interested to hear their take, since
Then its out of my hands anyway ...
So ... i dunno, kinda dont see any reason to react on the rest.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
So just as I feared, the Underdark got turned into a bright neon city. Apart from the complete loss of spooky and dark atmosphere that oozed with danger, I'm extremely sad that this patch made torches/Light cantrip and Dark Vision completely obsolete. The Underdark can now be completely navigated without a light source, even with characters without Dark Vision frown

When talking to Halsin about the Underdark, he mentions how it's a terrible dark place where people go missing. This no longer looks to me like a place with danger lurking around every corner where the sun doesn't shine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

veteran
veteran
The more screenshots i see from you, the more im convinced that Larian took our complaints in last patch for this game being too dark, so even characters with superior darkvision cant navigate in space at all without any source of light ... too litteraly. :-/

So dear Larian ... if you listen this time aswell ...
You missunderstanded us. :-/

We didnt wanted to add more light into universe, we wanted better implementation of Darkvision. frown

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 10/07/22 02:54 PM.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The more screenshots i see from you, the more im convinced that Larian took our complaints in last patch for this game being too dark, so even characters with superior darkvision cant navigate in space at all without any source of light ... too litteraly. :-/

So dear Larian ... if you listen this time aswell ...
You missunderstanded us. :-/

We didnt wanted to add more light into universe, we wanted better implementation of Darkvision. frown

That's what I was thinking as well before I even joined the forums.

The lighting was perfect as it was, the only thing that needed better implementation was Dark Vision, as it felt a bit too weak. But now every race with Dark Vision is obsolete as there is no difference between a Human or a Drow in the Underdark.

I'm 100% certain this can't be intended and won't stay like this, because otherwise they might as well just delete Light cantrip and Dark Vision. They don't serve a purpose now, same as torches and the ring that gives +12m of Dark Vision. Such a terrible change that unbalanced so many things at the moment.

veteran
veteran
The comparison of the Underdark is indeed telling. I didn't see too much difference in the wilderness, but in the Underdark it is very visible.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard