Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#820130 11/07/22 02:24 AM
JandK Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Us should turn against our characters if we attack other thralls. Certainly if we attack the illithid once we reach the helm.

At some point, it should become obvious that we're not on the thrall's side.

JandK #820152 11/07/22 04:30 AM
T
stranger
stranger
T
I always thought that was the purpose of the 15 Dexterity check when you got him.

If you made him more loyal, he'd stay with you no matter who you attacked.

If you didn't and you attacked the other thralls, Us would turn hostile.

Would be a very cool mechanic if it worked like this?

Taranis #820157 11/07/22 05:08 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Taranis
I always thought that was the purpose of the 15 Dexterity check when you got him.

I agree. If that isn't the purpose of that roll, what is?

GM4Him #820191 11/07/22 08:28 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Originally Posted by Taranis

I agree. If that isn't the purpose of that roll, what is?

I'm hoping that Us shows back up at some point and the PC's actions during the prologue affect that later encounter.

JandK #820203 11/07/22 09:19 AM
veteran
veteran
I never crippled Us to make them more subservient, and they still are ok with me attacking other intellect devourers, servants and even the mindflayer at the helm.
So it doesn't make any difference, if you use that dex check or not.

Last edited by fylimar; 11/07/22 02:18 PM. Reason: Spelling

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
JandK #820262 11/07/22 01:39 PM
JandK Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I would love for Us to show back up.

If you talk to Us a second time, the little thing keeps referring to you as a friend. Just so likable.

Yeah, I don't think the Dex roll makes a difference right now, other than if you fail it you have to fight Us.

I figure it's there for some plan later down the road, maybe?

I don't think it should make Us more subservient though. That doesn't make sense to me. Why would sticking your thumb in the creature make it more loyal? I would prefer that the Dex roll made it so that Us stayed at the Newborn level of hit point, 11 I think, instead of getting the full amount, which is what, 21 I believe?

That way, you make a Dex roll to make Us effectively weaker and easier to defeat should it turn against you.

I suspect there are other things in that area that are planned for later on down the road also. Like those illithid tablets that talk about goblin history and such. One mentions a githyanki warrior. Surely those things will be more important in a later version of the game?

Also, the neural device that moves the elevator. There are two other devices just like it right now, and both say they don't do anything. Hopefully, they will do something interesting later.

JandK #820275 11/07/22 02:22 PM
veteran
veteran
On a related note: For walking brains, intellect devours in this game are kind of cute. I just watched a Let's play by Wolfheart and he did put two of the three intellect devours on the beach to sleep - and they had the cutest snores. I'm not sure, what to make of it, because they are suppose to be creepy, instead they fall a bit under the Disney squirrel category for me.
I mean, it isn't that big a deal for me - at least the mind flayers are creepy.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
JandK #820325 11/07/22 04:56 PM
addict
addict
JandK, you got a bit confused about relations here... an Intellect devourer is not supposed to care about thralls at all. They are just thralls a-ka slaves. While our characters are tadpole bearers, his masters' children.
Plus subsurvient is not exatly same thing as loyal. It looks as if Larian used it in archaic meaning here. And that archaic meaning is "not being able to resist". You're cripling it to be able to kill it more easily "should it pose a threat".

Zellin #820332 11/07/22 05:16 PM
JandK Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Zellin
JandK, you got a bit confused about relations here... an Intellect devourer is not supposed to care about thralls at all. They are just thralls a-ka slaves. While our characters are tadpole bearers, his masters' children.
Plus subsurvient is not exatly same thing as loyal. It looks as if Larian used it in archaic meaning here. And that archaic meaning is "not being able to resist". You're cripling it to be able to kill it more easily "should it pose a threat".

I'm not confused. That portion of my comment was in reply to Taranis, who posted above.

The words I chose were correct.

And I agree that the roll should be about harming the creature to make it easier to kill, hence my comment about how it should impact the hit point total.

JandK #820366 11/07/22 07:23 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by JandK
I'm not confused. That portion of my comment was in reply to Taranis, who posted above.

The words I chose were correct.

And I agree that the roll should be about harming the creature to make it easier to kill, hence my comment about how it should impact the hit point total.
I commented mostly on your OP post:
Us should turn against our characters if we attack other thralls.
My answer to this is no, they shouldn't because:
an Intellect devourer is not supposed to care about thralls at all. They are just thralls a-ka slaves. While our characters are tadpole bearers, his masters' children.
In your answer to Taranis you used "subservient" and "loyal" as if they are synonyms, while they aren't ones for real. Here:
I don't think it should make Us more subservient though. That doesn't make sense to me. Why would sticking your thumb in the creature make it more loyal?
And still I merely pointed out that the term the game uses originally ("subservient") can be understood as "not being able to resist". I didn't comment on your choice of words.

Link Copied to Clipboard