Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
Also, in the category "people followed on YouTube who mentioned the toilet chain as frustrating", I remember that at some point Felicia Day played BG3 in a streamed video and mentioned it.
Feel free to add Mortismal and Harbs Narbs to the list of somewhat popular Youtubers that mentioned having issues with the system at least once.
But I'm sure there's plenty more.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict
Thanks for the extra examples. It would be, hm ... "fun", to create a compilation of YouTubers struggling with or getting frustrated by the chain. Can you send me the links for Mortismal and Harbs Narbs ? (Not that I want to create this montage, I just want to see/hear their experience.)

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by JandK
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
I like the chain system.

I like it, too. Works well. I can maneuver all of my characters easily and quickly.
No, you can't.
Put it in a video as proof and I'll believe it.

This is a joke right? Having to prove you like something, amazing.

Anyway, ya, I don't know if its patch 8 but they seem to remade it hard to move character order on the ui. You could click hold on a portrait and drag it to another location without causing a toilet chain reaction. Now you have to hard drag it away just to move it. Just been playing with patch 8 for a hour or so, so there is probably a lot more.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
What is toilet chaining?????

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Hey all just wanted to add my 2 cents on the patch

I did like a 12-16 hour binge of BG3 the last 24 hours. Im not sure if im allowed to post my stream here but my twitch username is JustinGayme if ya wanna see the progress of what im about to explain.

My issue is this: The longer I played, the more and more crashes I got from long resting and quicksaving.

I know these are known issues, but it was particularly curious to me that I wasn't having many issues at first, but in the last few hours it's every singlle long rest, so I logged off.

Not angry just sharing my experience.

Last edited by Shlamorel; 10/07/22 01:53 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by fallenj
Originally Posted by JandK
I like [the chain system], too. Works well. I can maneuver all of my characters easily and quickly.
No, you can't.
Put it in a video as proof and I'll believe it.

I don't want to put words in Tuco's mouth, but it sounded clear to me that "no you can't" and "prove it" referred to "I can maneuver all of my characters easily and quickly".

veteran
veteran
Are you ok?

I didn't ask him to prove that he likes something. In fact I absolutely don't give a damn of what he likes.
I asked him to prove that he can "maneuver easily and quickly".
Which he can't, unless his definition of "maneuvering" translates in strolling around with the entire party in auto-following without attempting a single advance action.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Video documentation of getting the party sidebar working well would be nice, just to show me what I've been doing wrong for the past year...s, cripes it's been a minute.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Shlamorel

The named given to the "Larian chain", the control scheme used by Larian (and fortunately, only Larian).

There's a whole mega-thread about it.

Last edited by Drath Malorn; 10/07/22 01:59 AM. Reason: link formatting
S
apprentice
apprentice
S

The named given to the "Larian chain", the control scheme used by Larian (and fortunately, only Larian).

There's a whole [url=]https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=679414#Post679414mega-thread about it[/url].

Thank you smile

veteran
veteran

There's a whole [url=]https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=679414#Post679414mega-thread about it[/url].

Thank you smile

buckle-up, it's a ride smile Lots of strong opinions on both sides

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

Thank you smile

buckle-up, it's a ride smile Lots of strong opinions on both sides

i see! Its not perfect but its never botehred me except sneaking / not sneaking consistency. But, I've kinda accepted it for what it is.

veteran
veteran
i see! Its not perfect
Giant euphemism.

veteran
veteran
I personally never found the chain system an issue as I played countless of games across the decades that had this chaining system and I never really thought it's limiting me from accomplishing whatever I wanted. From Dungeon Siege II to Dragon Age, Star Wars: KOTOR I & 2 to plenty of other games along the way and until recently, the Divinity Original Sin games and Baldur's Gate 3. To me party members following the main character feels immersive and adventurous as it makes the main character feel like an actual leader and makes companions feel lively by following behind. Not to mention that characters feel like they have individuality, as opposed to grouped movement where it's more like an entity.

With Divinity Original Sin 2 and Baldur's Gate 3, if I want my party to stay put or simply position them somewhere individually, I just press "G" and unchain them. So I honestly never felt like this chain system is making it impossible for me to do something strategically in the games that I played.

For me grouped movement is alright in games where characters aren't really as fleshed out in personalities and background stories, so I don't really care to sacrifice that individuality for grouped efficiency. But in games like these, I am perfectly alright with fleshed out characters following the main character to give them more life and soul.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Im still standing by my "im neutral on the chain in bg" but, pigygybacking on your post (aka agreeing), if you think of DND being turn based and turn on turn based mode, like actual DND, the chain isnt nearly as big adeal imo.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
I like the chain system.
That's cool.
It doesn't make it good at what it needs to do, though.

Originally Posted by robertthebard
I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I do have to laugh at "use the old BG system" thing, because all that really changes is where we click and drag. If you wanted to move characters individually, you still had to issue a group wide hold command to do it, which is essentially unchaining them...

Wel, you are wrong.
The difference is that with a traditional "click and drag selection"/lazo select/"shift clit on portrait" system you'd be able at any given time to SPLIT your party in subgroups (i.e. "these two go here, these three there, and the sixth on this spot") with few seconds of quick gestures and without having to fight the interface for a couple of minutes. And with the ability to PINPOINT the exact location of each character moved, rather than praying that characters may stick reasonably close to where you want them.

Also, these old systems allowed to give the party (or THE PORTION SELECTED of the party) group commands about generic orders without relying on a questionable "I can control just this unit and I can only hope the other will imitate it with a good approximation".

The SUBSTANTIAL difference in practical terms is there. Some of you seem to just lack enough familiarity with the genre to spot it, somehow?

P.S. And I'll invite you to take note about the fact that the example I described is about managing a larger party, too (six characters) despise STILL being more efficient and quick to use than what we have now.
Imagine what a hideous mess it would be to control six characters with Larian's signature chain system.

No wonder they are terrified at the idea of giving players an options for larger parties, despise being so broadly requested: that would basically force them to come up with a control scheme that doesn't make the average player wish to beat up a Belgian kid in retaliation.

No, we just took the time to figure it out. Party members that are chained will move as if they are a unit. In regard to "tell them what to do", are we playing the same BG 3? In a turn based scenario, in combat anyway, you are not telling groups of characters what to do, you are doing their individual turns. This means that it doesn't matter how the group is linked together, because they're acting one at a time.

old hand
old hand
Are you ok?

I didn't ask him to prove that he likes something. In fact I absolutely don't give a damn of what he likes.
I asked him to prove that he can "maneuver easily and quickly".
Which he can't, unless his definition of "maneuvering" translates in strolling around with the entire party in auto-following without attempting a single advance action.

lol gotcha, ya seemed pretty wtf, makes more sense, my bad.

On the ability to maneuver with the toilet chain, the only thing I know of that makes it easy is swapping two hotkeys around so you can swap between characters fast.

Last edited by fallenj; 10/07/22 02:24 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by robertthebard
No, we just took the time to figure it out. Party members that are chained will move as if they are a unit. In regard to "tell them what to do", are we playing the same BG 3? In a turn based scenario, in combat anyway, you are not telling groups of characters what to do, you are doing their individual turns. This means that it doesn't matter how the group is linked together, because they're acting one at a time.
"Figure out" what? That you can't tell the difference between having to juggle with "links" between "chained" characters to achieve basic split orders or doing the same with a RTS-like control scheme, that makes it a matter of a handful of quick clicks?
Or again that you believe that ungrouping anyone and moving/adjusting/committing to an action with every single character individually is a proper and equivalent alternative?

And the turn-based scenario is irrelevant as you’ll have to move characters one at the time regardless.

The issue is tied to moving, positioning, controlling and splitting the party in real-time environment.
How are you even failing to identify the entire issue at hand, here?

Last edited by Tuco; 10/07/22 02:44 AM.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Crimsomrider
I personally never found the chain system an issue as I played countless of games across the decades that had this chaining system and I never really thought it's limiting me from accomplishing whatever I wanted. From Dungeon Siege II to Dragon Age, Star Wars: KOTOR I & 2 to plenty of other games along the way and until recently, the Divinity Original Sin games and Baldur's Gate 3..
Every single game you mentioned used an entirely different system.
And I would argue that most of them weren't that good, anyway, so I wouldn't exactly take them as virtuous examples. I surely don't wish for an isometric party-based CRPG that controls like goddamn KOTOR, for a start.
We could also namedrop Neverwinter Nights 2 just to be sure every shitty one is on the list.

Also, Dragon Age Origins (which was THE Dragon Age game with somewhat decent controls, before it became an action MMO) implemented its version of the "chain system" exactly in the way I begged several times Larian to consider: as a toggle that could be disabled (and I DID, because auto-follow sucks) and you'd still able to select and issue orders to multiple characters at once. Which you can't do with the toiler chain.

Last edited by Tuco; 10/07/22 02:39 AM.

old hand
old hand
Can't. Stop. Laughing.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard