Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#820533 12/07/22 12:23 PM
Brainer Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
While it is highly unlikely that the basic movement is gonna get changed at this point, I think that there is a possible tweak/solution to the "jump as a bonus action" debacle that's bothering quite a few people out there - that would be the introduction of a running jump, something that the rules cover.

What if jumping were to cost no action, but jumping anywhere decently far would require first expending part of a character's movement-per-turn to do it? That would cut down on the amount of bunny-hopping and make it a tactical tool mostly meant for getting across hazards and elevation, but at the cost of mobility during the turn the jump is being made on. Standing jump should then either not go further than being a way of getting out of being body-blocked (drawing all the opportunity attacks as it's being attempted) and also either stripped of its BA cost altogether or the BA cost being exclusive to the standing jump, as you do not sacrifice your movement for it.

Someone probably made a similar suggestion already, in which case this should probably be merged, but it still is a somewhat bothersome aspect to how the mobility is handled during combat.

+1. In RAW dnd jumping is a part of movement. Also it would be nica to have auto jump outside of combat

add hexblade warlock, pls
veteran
veteran
Auto jump outside combats would be very cool !

I personnaly think that jumping should JUST be a part of our movement and should consume the good amount of speed.
It could eventully remains a bonus action (even if it doesn't make sense) IF the good amount of speed was consumed.

But I'm absolutely sick of saying to myself "Oh, I can jump if I miss 2 meters to attack this target". It makes no sense, it's unimmersive and it's absolutely boring from a tactical point of view.
If they really wants us to be able to cover more distance, they could add a "mini dash" as a bonus action... It would still be boring but at least, it wouldn't look ridiculous.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 12/07/22 01:10 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mercurial_ann
+1. In RAW dnd jumping is a part of movement. Also it would be nica to have auto jump outside of combat
+1

addict
addict
+1

I
journeyman
journeyman
I
Originally Posted by mercurial_ann
Auto jump outside the combat would be very convenient, but it might potentially ruin the joy of exploration part of the game, if it was the first time ever that you visit that area.

For example, an area that has a chest or a button, and its the first time you saw that and was supposed to figure about how to reach there. If auto jump on controlled character was enabled, then it will automatically move that char to the location, which makes player's first exploration experience in this area to be lineal.

Though it won't hurt to have a setting option for enabling auto jump outside the combat, just for someone who want such feature. Since NPC's pathfinding AI already includes auto jumping.

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
But I'm absolutely sick of saying to myself "Oh, I can jump if I miss 2 meters to attack this target". It makes no sense, it's unimmersive and it's absolutely boring from a tactical point of view.
If they really wants us to be able to cover more distance, they could add a "mini dash" as a bonus action... It would still be boring but at least, it wouldn't look ridiculous.
Totally agree on this.

If Jump's movement cost covers less distance than jump, then it should only happens in 2 cases: one, if a Jump related spell was casted; two, if a jump was preformed from a higher ground to lower ground. This would make the greater jump spell to be more useful in combat, and make character like eagle barbarian to be more special.

For most character, the jump should be for bypass some difficult terrain or some obstacle object, instead of greater distance of the same height or get to a higher ground. Seeing a heavily armored gnome with 8str 8dex to jump from lower ground to higher ground without any help from a spell is immersion breaking.

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
An automatic jump system out of combat would probably not work, any accidental click on a part of the map you cannot directly walk to, and whoop! You have a random jump.

Last edited by Gathord; 12/07/22 07:36 PM.
Brainer Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
So, I happened upon this here item while playing (must have been added in either Patch 7 or 8?):

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There's clearly framework for "jumping without using a bonus action" in the game, judging by it, albeit implemented in such a wacky manner. I suppose if we were to make jumping / running and jumping work more in accordance with the rules, then these would increase the jump distance / make you able to cover a running jump's distance without expending movement first? Regardless, all of these magical items with wonky effects that encourage you to carry them all on you and hot-swap whenever you need them are a whole different barrel of controversial design choices.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Brainer
So, I happened upon this here item while playing (must have been added in either Patch 7 or 8?):

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There's clearly framework for "jumping without using a bonus action" in the game, judging by it, albeit implemented in such a wacky manner. I suppose if we were to make jumping / running and jumping work more in accordance with the rules, then these would increase the jump distance / make you able to cover a running jump's distance without expending movement first? Regardless, all of these magical items with wonky effects that encourage you to carry them all on you and hot-swap whenever you need them are a whole different barrel of controversial design choices.
Ouch! This is ugly thing. Larian, why? The jump shouldn't need the bonus action in the first place.

Last edited by Zellin; 24/07/22 05:55 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard