Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
To both of you - I never suggested or implied that it would have any effect beyond the purely cosmetic, as an option for those who want to engage with it to do so, and not for those who aren't interested - you don't engage, then it's no different from the current situation, in effect.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ikke
[quote=Niara]

Wouldn't that make the game more tedious? With each long rest, not only do we need to talk to people, but in that case also swap our underwear. I'd rather work with the assumption that Withers washes out underwear while we rest and we put it back on before we leave the pocket dimension (cutscenes that will not make the final production). But if we are given the responsibility of changing our underwear ourselves, it would be a great mental burden not to perform that act each time we rest.

Not if it were automatic. Can't be comfy lounging around in armor all day long, would be nice to have camp clothes. As to Withers - off screen everyone is asking Gale to help them clean up.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/prestidigitation

I had table top character who really disliked the "explore the sewers" aspect of adventuring and used cantrips to clean up whenever possible.

L
addict
addict
L
Diff things interests diff players, which is good.
I like a robust crafting system...some hate it.
I'm less interested (or notice) what undergarments my characters wear...for some players it's very important.
Larian has designed diff options and hopefully players can make choices.

apprentice
apprentice
Wow, didn't expect this kind of reaction.
I may have been rude enough, please excuse me.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
I never suggested or implied that it would have any effect beyond the purely cosmetic
What other purpose it even could have? O_o

Originally Posted by Niara
- you don't engage, then it's no different from the current situation, in effect.
While i realize that Larian dont follow my wish, nor they are anyhow obligated to follow them ...

Quite honestly, when *i* would decide for their graphic department to either create several bodies for each race (and each body type, presuming we got those) wich would only differ in underwear (wich is the only way i can right now imagine it working) ... or do quite litteraly anything else.
I would pick second option. :-/

As for optionality ...
As long as my Fighter can walk around camp in armor, im fine. :P

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
journeyman
journeyman
While I am not really concerned with the undergarments of my CRPG character I do think that some of the new underwear is not aesthetically pleasing and I don't like that it's defined by race. There should be differences in style of underthings and I could get behind culturally or regionally different undergarments; say Drow having spider silk type smallclothes, cooler Northern Humans having wool skivvies, warmer regions having linin or cotton drawers, forest Elves wearing buckskin loincloths, etc. but modern D&D has basically sacrificed the idea of different regional ethnicities having any differences on the alter of inclusion. Which makes the different undies assigned solely by race a bit ironic... Personally I'd distinguish underclothing by relative wealth as well as regional/cultural but that would be a bit pedantic. Luckily Larian has made their intimate things separate from the base 3D models so modders can do their thing.

Last edited by FuriousGreg; 10/06/23 11:16 PM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Sometimes the right thing to do is to agree to disagree, or just disengage. And as we can't all have the last word and it would be chaos if we all tried, the path of greater virtue is sometimes to just recognise when you've made your point and stop arguing even if someone else still disagrees.

I'm just chucking this in there as I'm not going to be around for the next few hours, and I think it might be something worth bearing in mind if anyone is tempted to continue some strands of this discussion.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
addict
addict
The undergarments of BG characters...in 2000.
I think they look quite nice.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 11/06/23 10:51 AM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Hmm, I’m at heart a prosaic soul and I can’t now help thinking how impractical a swimsuit under armour would be for … erm … wild toileting. You’d need to more or less completely strip if you needed a wee. Though now I come think of it, perhaps it has some sort of buttoning down below, but then that would need to be carefully designed so as to not chafe and also not be dangerously fiddly. Of course, this is a fantasy adventure and we don’t really need to worry about such stuff, but I just can’t avoid it when presented with something that seems such a bad idea from a practical point of view!

Though I’ll admit I’m in the camp that generally hardly ever sees and pretty much never thinks about their characters’ underwear, so almost anything is okay for me really. I have a slight preference for underwear for both male and female characters that looks at least vaguely practical and appropriate to the time and place, but that’s it.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
addict
addict
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Hmm, I’m at heart a prosaic soul and I can’t now help thinking how impractical a swimsuit under armour would be for … erm … wild toileting.

It seems that is the only kind of toileting we are allowed to do. In spite of complaints about toilet chains, so far I have not seen any actual indoor toilets. All buildings and dungeons are remarkably devoid of plumbing. It seems that going from BG2 to BG3 toilets were removed from the world. In return we got steep cliffs. Which … well, they could be made to work.

veteran
veteran
I really don't care about my characters underwear. I want it practical and believable, I don't want my character dressed as a hooker - btw that applies to male and female characters.
For the people, that need sexy looks: I'm pretty sure, there will be mods for that, I'm pretty sure, there already is a mod for that.

Last edited by fylimar; 12/06/23 11:06 AM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Ikke
It seems that is the only kind of toileting we are allowed to do. In spite of complaints about toilet chains, so far I have not seen any actual indoor toilets. All buildings and dungeons are remarkably devoid of plumbing.

That’s true, though I’m clearly not as practical as I’d claimed as I’d not thought about it. I can understand the Druids having a “natural” approach to bodily functions though it’d be pretty unhygienic not to have a latrine area set aside. And you’d think houses would at the least have outhouses, with privies in larger residences and inns, even if actual plumbing is reserved for wealthy homes. Admittedly I didn’t explore the only tavern we visit in EA carefully as it was on fire, but from memory the facilities are completely lacking. Perhaps toilets are like our camps and we should just think of them as there if our characters need them, while it’s not seen as a priority to show how our characters actually get there.

Anyway, apologies for the digression everyone!

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
I suppose moders will add different types of underwear and a special slot for it in inventory while the default body to be naked

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard