Originally Posted by JandK
Originally Posted by Kendaric
In general though, I think there are way too many magic items already. I'm fine with scrolls and some potions being readily available, but other items should never be handed out like candy.

Well, there needs to be a variety. It would suck, for instance, if the only magic sword available was a long sword.

Having options means different builds have an opportunity to shine.
I actually think less variety in the early levels can be great.

Let's say the first actual +1 magic weapon you get is the Sorrow, and you don't find any common weapons like Longsword +1 or Greatsword +1 yet. The fighter of the party picks up the Polearm Master feat at level 4 because of this weapon. That itself is a story, how the Druids gave it to her as a gift after rescuing Halsin and saving the Grove, and how she learned to master it. (And lets remove that 1dmg per hit from Sorrow. It's so crippling no one will ever use this flavorful weapon. It's enough to have flavor text of "emitting sorrow" on the weapon. Not every detail has to be underlined with clumsy mechanical properties. Sometimes it can just be story and flavor to evoke imagination).

If every PC in the party is loaded with +1 weapons and a bunch of weird conditional items, the coolness and uniqueness of a weapon like Sorrow that has a story is lost in the noise of Sparky Sparkslippers and Protecty Head-Helmets with "if you Jump and Dash on the same turn, you get a Lightning Charge and Disengage against Large Creatures".

If you get an even distribution of magic weapons of all sorts, magic items are no longer a story. It's just gear. You don't make choices based on the items, you get items based on your preference. Magic items are not special anymore, they're mundane. Larian are quickly progressing towards making magic items mundane in BG3.

And at higher levels everyone will obviously have all sorts of magic gear anyway. It would be good to separate the low levels where you are starved of items and the high levels where you do have choice. That's one contributor to making your character feel like they have progressed. And even at high levels, choice should still exist between +2 this or +3 that, instead of getting everything you want at +3, conveniently from vendors. If you give players everything they want, magic items become mundane gear again. If you don't give players everything they want, you keep alive the thrill of adventuring and finding that awesome weapon in the next dungeon. You should never buy your best gear from vendors. If it's so amazing, why would anyone sell it in the first place?

Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Just to raise an issue I had in my last playtrough.
I had so many items with wierd condition on every characters to fill slots that a lot of time I just didn't understood why I get a heal, a second BA, a damage bonus or an electrified status and so on...

I think I've said to myself "idk, it's probably because of an equiped item" more than 10 times.

Equipment management is more overwhelming than fun with all these conditions and special effects. Keep it simple and get inspired by DnD on this one please.
I also find this conditional magic fluff distracting and completely unnecessary.

Wierd illogical micro-modifiers from items is not a good way to make tactical combat have more choice. Instead of these silly items, Larian should be focusing much more on battleground design and teamwork between PC's. Those aspects are universal and not depending on clever properties from gear. Combat locations in BG3 have only high ground, when they could also have terrain for cover and choke points for defenders to hold. In fact they are actively pulling the rug from under such tactical depth by making enemies ultra-mobile with added ranged weapons and bombs, compared to 5e. They could have implemented stuff like Shove Prone so that two PC's could team up to take down a high AC target. But instead, every combat encounter revolves only around taking the high ground and/or using some OP exploits. And with bosses like Spider and Grym, solving a very obvious puzzle.

Last edited by 1varangian; 16/07/22 10:52 AM.