Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
addict
addict
Some negative changes:

Am I the only one noticing this? Pre patch the game graphics art style looked better.

-Downgraded graphics for lighting. Looks more mushy, colorful and bright now...particularly in dark areas.

veteran
veteran
I have not played the game for a while.

I know they changed spell UI for upcasting.
Did they also change "cast spell again"?

The first versions had an annoying issue.
You cast spell x by selecting it from the hotbar.
Then a new icon showed up on the hotbar "cast spell x again".
To use the spell first you had to know that a new icon comes and then you had to find it.
If they did not change this already it would be nice if the "cast spell again" option was part of the new upcasting menu, so there is only one icon for every spell.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
addict
addict
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Did I miss it? Has no one mentioned the removal of OP Barrelmancy? Remember when ogres threw barrels onto the grove walls and goblins sprang out, and when goblins would pick up 40 pound barrels of liquid fire and blow you to smithereens with one throw?

Ah yes. I remember it well, with seething, burning hatred.

Well... Ogres lobbing barrels onto the grove wall was fun. That, I miss. That made the grove fight SO much more interesting and difficult.
I don't know about OP barrelmancy, but ogres throwing goblin-laden barrels onto the grove walls is still a thing.

A few additions to the list I haven't seen mentioned already.
  • Weapon actions were added.
  • Wyll's Devil sight was made compatible with the Darkness spell.
  • The Friends cantrip used to have no consequences.
  • A bunch of content has made less difficult to access, either by lowering the DC of the check required, or by adding a path that requires no dice-rolling.
  • The camp sequences have been reshuffled as of patch 8. I don't have all the details on this, but the story makes more sense now, no matter how often you long rest.
  • A bunch of magic items were created, often with their own charge system or status effect. (Not saying it's always good, but it's an EA addition).
  • The UI now lets you click on a ressource (action, BA, spell slot...) and shows what you can do with it.
  • The trade tab was added alongside the barter tab.
  • Committing some crimes will land you in jail.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
I just went through an entire playthrough of patch 8 and I can't really say I've had a ton of chances to appreciate Swarm AI.
In fact, I distinctly noticed it just ONCE when four goblins in the temple courtyard moved concurrently and (so far) that was pretty much the full extent of it.
Yeah, have simmilar experience ...

But today im going to fight Goblin camp, so fingers crossed. ^_^

Originally Posted by Madscientist
Did they also change "cast spell again"?
Well ... yes, but im not quite sure if for the better. :-/
Right now recasting is showed on extra bar that appears on separated 4-slots bar that is invisible if unused, nothing can be dragged out, nothing can be added in, not quite sure if it can expand futher ... but it certainly takes space that could have ben used for regular hotbar. frown

---
//Edit:
On topic ... there was also some major HP reductions for NPCs ... especialy for Goblins.
Sadly there was also sobe boosts ... especialy for Githyanki. frown

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 18/07/22 10:13 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
old hand
Oh yeah, how Shadowheart joins the party got completely changed. During the earlier EA patches, the earliest she could join you was after the Naulitoid crash. Now as we all know, she can join you aboard the ship, and I'm not even sure the original scene of her joining your party (where she was banging against the crypt door) even exists anymore.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Trying to add things that I dident see people mention. smile

-They removed alot of clutter from the game. Like, metric tons of clutter.
-somewhat related, you can see upfront now if a container is empty. Dont think that was the case for the early builds. Means you spend less time looting things that dont actually hold anything.
-The encounter in the druid grove with (I think she was called Ellie?) has been made possible to do without save-scumming. Its original incarnation was exceedingly harsh. And while in character for a druid in the setting, was just a tad to much.
-Shadowheart her stats were a complete mess and got a more sensible rework.
-Speaking of Shadowheart. Her demeaner is....less rude. Originally she was VERY unlikable. Now she just somewhat unlikeable when you meet her but her beeing carefull at least makes abit of sense. She opens up more easily I think. Need to do another playthrough to check on her whole arc though, As much as we can see in the EA anyway.
-Added the bard singing in the druid camp. Whatever you like it or not its a nice atmospheric change.
-Spells can now be cast in dialogue more easily with prompts. And you cant use peoples spells against them when you are in dialogue with them.
-Cantrips not leaving surface areas has been listed but their damage has also been corrected. Seeing as we want them to adhere to the written rules I think thats fair to mention when they do listen to us.
-Some encounters have been tweaked depending on player feedback. The minotaurs and Hook Horrors for example got some tweaks AFAIK. They were jumping about, multi attacking and doing concussive blasts with their jumps originally and it was a complete shit-show compared to what those encounters were supposed to be when comparing the monsters to the monster manual counterpart.
-They added the part of the Duergar in the underdark. That part wasent in the game with the earlier builds.
-Dialogue added for quests in the underdark. Think the quest for the boots of speed with the underdark gnome dude. Or was it the dude in the shroom fields? Either way, they added more dialogue based on what had already happened.

Already mentioned by people but I think il add it as well, because people keep insisting that Larian doesent listen to feedback.
-Advantage in melee by beeing behind the target has been taken out due to feedback. Dispite it beeing a literal interpretation from the rules. (you get advantage if your target cant see you attacking) And high ground is now a small bonus instead of advantage. The latter was their own house-rule but the former could be considered PHB valid. Even if it was a very literal interpretation of the rules.

Thats the most I can come up on short notice.. Im sure ive missed some things but the game has changed quite a great deal. Even if each change isent as large as they could be.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Demoulius
-somewhat related, you can see upfront now if a container is empty. Dont think that was the case for the early builds. Means you spend less time looting things that dont actually hold anything.
You can do that?! Care to share how?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Oh yeah, how Shadowheart joins the party got completely changed. During the earlier EA patches, the earliest she could join you was after the Naulitoid crash. Now as we all know, she can join you aboard the ship, and I'm not even sure the original scene of her joining your party (where she was banging against the crypt door) even exists anymore.

Still exists, I saw her banging away yesterday after failing the 'Ilithid wisdom' check when trying to insert the rune on the Nautiloid. I didn't think it was possible to fail on that roll, since it says 0, but I missed it rolling a 1. I assumed it was just a bug or something, but after failing she was knocking on the door with her mace just like the old times.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Originally Posted by Flooter
Pressing alt shows you the [empty] tag. I believe you could see upfront if something was empty but your reaction makes me second guess myself.

I do know you can see it on corpses (most anyway) but I seem to recall it worked for containers as well. Or did I misrenember things here?

veteran
veteran
-Advantage in melee by beeing behind the target has been taken out due to feedback. Dispite it beeing a literal interpretation from the rules. (you get advantage if your target cant see you attacking)

You should only get advantage when you attack while being invisible or in stealth mode.
Attacking an enemy from behind when you are visible should not give advantage. Normally the enemy would see you and look at you when you attack him while you are visible.

I just checked the PHB and it does not mention flanking, so I am not sure about this.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
addict
addict
Pressing alt shows you the [empty] tag. I believe you could see upfront if something was empty but your reaction makes me second guess myself.

I do know you can see it on corpses (most anyway) but I seem to recall it worked for containers as well. Or did I misrenember things here?
Here's how I remember it. Pressing left alt will show tags for interesting objects and lootables. That feature has been changed during EA (I think), and doesn't show tags for the dumb stuff, like empty vases or pointless barrels.

The "empty" tag only shows up after you've looted something, and only if it's completely empty. Looting a corpse for weapons and armor but leaving behind a bone or empty bottle will not result in an "empty" tag. I don't think there's any way of making sure something is empty without looting it. Context clues help, but that's all you've got.

L
L
Not all things show up under ALT too. Maybe that's just them getting around to coding, but many objects with stuff in them won't show up with ALT, so you still want to click on everything if you're wanting all the goodies.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by lamaros
Not all things show up under ALT too.
All important stuff seems to show under ALT - I suspect items that are highlighted are handpicked. So yeah, there is generic stuff to be found in some of the unhighlighted contained, but when you enter into the room and wonder what is worth paying attention to, ALT is there to help.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Here are the changes I can remember that I don't think I saw here:

UI/System
- Activating Turnbase mode immediately pauses character movement. In early patches, your characters reforms into formation first even after you turn it on, which can trigger traps, etc.

- Added in-world dates to the Journal (instead of just day 1, 2, 3, etc). Not sure if this will have significance later on, but probably just a minor change.

- AOO Indicator (the circle) was off and unreliable in early patches - seem to have been fixed.

Mechanics/Rules
- Armor proficiency requirements for non-chest pieces

- Fixed effects and conditions (at least closer to RAW 5E). Some examples:
- Fear from Menacing Attack used to make enemies run away
- Enemies used to not stay in Prone
- Blind/Obscurement applies disadvantage/advantage instead of making Ranged attacks unusable

- Adjusted the action cost of weapon swapping mid-combat (costs an action, not RAW, but there was definitely concern about how easy it was)

D
old hand
old hand
D

Here's how I remember it. Pressing left alt will show tags for interesting objects and lootables. That feature has been changed during EA (I think), and doesn't show tags for the dumb stuff, like empty vases or pointless barrels.

The "empty" tag only shows up after you've looted something, and only if it's completely empty. Looting a corpse for weapons and armor but leaving behind a bone or empty bottle will not result in an "empty" tag. I don't think there's any way of making sure something is empty without looting it. Context clues help, but that's all you've got.
Oh just after looting then. It wasent as grand an improvement as I renembered then. But I do recall that it did help by showing what you already looted.

Originally Posted by Madscientist
-Advantage in melee by beeing behind the target has been taken out due to feedback. Dispite it beeing a literal interpretation from the rules. (you get advantage if your target cant see you attacking)

You should only get advantage when you attack while being invisible or in stealth mode.
Attacking an enemy from behind when you are visible should not give advantage. Normally the enemy would see you and look at you when you attack him while you are visible.

I just checked the PHB and it does not mention flanking, so I am not sure about this.
Not precisely. Like I said its a very literal interpretation but invisibilityt or stealth are indeed the easiest way of gaining it. On page 194 the unseen attackers and targets section states that if your opponent cannot see you, you have advantage when you attack them. If someone is standing behind you, you cant see it. Hence why moving behind enemies became instant advantage which completly broke combat.

Most groups run the rule that unless someone is hidden when combat starts then everyone at least knows of your presence even if they cant see you directly. I run it the same as well but technicly thats a house rule and not true to the phb. Its completly broken to run it as written though as it just turns into people running behind enemies and having perpetual advantage which I really doubt was the intention.

addict
addict
I'll put this in spoiler as I'm just replying to Demoulius and this is off-topic.

[...]

On page 194 the unseen attackers and targets section states that if your opponent cannot see you, you have advantage when you attack them. If someone is standing behind you, you cant see it. Hence why moving behind enemies became instant advantage which completly broke combat.

Most groups run the rule that unless someone is hidden when combat starts then everyone at least knows of your presence even if they cant see you directly. I run it the same as well but technicly thats a house rule and not true to the phb. Its completly broken to run it as written though as it just turns into people running behind enemies and having perpetual advantage which I really doubt was the intention.

The PHB, p194-195, indeed says "Combatants often try to escape their foes' notice by hiding, casting the Invisibility spell, or lurking in darkness. When a creature can't see you, you have Advantage on Attack Rolls against it". But on p177, the box on Hiding says "In combat, most creatures stay alert for signs of danger all around. So if you come out of hiding and approach a creature, it usually sees you" (the emphasis is mine). And on p192 it says that "If you succeed [at Hiding], you gain certain benefits, as described in 'Unseen Attackers and Targets' section later in this chapter".

I don't think there is any point in the PHB where it is implied that creatures have some sort of vision cone (and thus a non-vision cone) and that by merely standing/walking behind an enemy, you are considered unseen by them. In fact, it seems pretty much clearly implied that some sort of effort or preparation is required to be unseen and to remain unseen.

I would add that in the DMG, p252, there is an optional rule called Facing. Using this rule, it is explicitly said that when you are in the rear cone of a creature (non-vision cone of angle 90°, as defined in that section), you are unseen and attack with Advantage. However it also says that a creature can change its facing as a Reaction to another creature's move. So, if you just walk around the enemy ... they are going to rotate to keep facing you. Which is very sensible, unlike what BG3 was doing.

I very much share your doubt about the intentions. But I don't think the rules (as written) are broken in any way, and I don't think that what you're doing is a house rule.

Last edited by Drath Malorn; 19/07/22 11:36 PM.
D
old hand
old hand
D
Il also keep it in spoiler tag. Do want to reply but not create a massive wall o text.

Like I said it is a very literal interpretation. Things like facing generally only work if you are using a battle grid though so it makes sense that they rules for people who dont use one as well.

While I might be looking a little to much into it, it clearly says a person that cant see you gives you benefits for attacking them. People dont have eyes in the back of their head so by this train of thought someone attacking you from behind you, you couldnt see. That said, the section where it says this also mentions beeing hidden or invisible so it could be that it was intended to just factor in those conditions. I personally dont grant anyone attacking someone from a flank advantage when im DMing because their enemy might not see them. It completly breaks combat and we clearly saw that in bg3 as well. When I rule something in my games the rules apply to (and for) the monsters as well and I dont want to TPK them... But I do get where it probably came from. Mind you, I think the DOS series also have a flanking/backstabbing system so it could also be a leftover from their previous games. Im not sure which scenario is true.

Something to mention in favour of people needing invis or hidden status for this rule is things like attack of opportunity for example. It requires you to be actually able to see your target. Now if theyre moving behind you and they leave your melee range you still get to do an attack of opp though. Because what triggers it doesent requires your target to be infront of you. Which by itself would also be in favour of people beeing able to see something behind them so long as theyre aware of it. I think only invisibility (and disengage) would let someone move out of melee range without triggering an attack of opportunity. Or teleportation.

So I agree with you that the implementation doesent make sense. Just trying to explain that what Larian had in place was in the phb. Albeit a very literal interpretation of some rules that might have been extended to places it wasent intended. Or a leftover system form their previous DOS games.

O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
Another change... you can no longer bypass the Grove fight without triggering it. You use to be able to jump or fly(pet) from the road up to the grove, land up near the dead harper, then jump/fly down to the road headed toward the Blighted Village and the Grove fight would still be waiting for you to trigger it when you came back latter.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
I'll put this in spoiler as I'm just replying to Demoulius and this is off-topic.

[...]

On page 194 the unseen attackers and targets section states that if your opponent cannot see you, you have advantage when you attack them. If someone is standing behind you, you cant see it. Hence why moving behind enemies became instant advantage which completly broke combat.

The PHB, p194-195, indeed says "Combatants often try to escape their foes' notice by hiding, casting the Invisibility spell, or lurking in darkness. When a creature can't see you, you have Advantage on Attack Rolls against it". But on p177, the box on Hiding says "In combat, most creatures stay alert for signs of danger all around. So if you come out of hiding and approach a creature, it usually sees you" (the emphasis is mine). And on p192 it says that "If you succeed [at Hiding], you gain certain benefits, as described in 'Unseen Attackers and Targets' section later in this chapter".

I don't think there is any point in the PHB where it is implied that creatures have some sort of vision cone (and thus a non-vision cone) and that by merely standing/walking behind an enemy, you are considered unseen by them. In fact, it seems pretty much clearly implied that some sort of effort or preparation is required to be unseen and to remain unseen.

I would add that in the DMG, p252, there is an optional rule called Facing. Using this rule, it is explicitly said that when you are in the rear cone of a creature (non-vision cone of angle 90°, as defined in that section), you are unseen and attack with Advantage. However it also says that a creature can change its facing as a Reaction to another creature's move. So, if you just walk around the enemy ... they are going to rotate to keep facing you. Which is very sensible, unlike what BG3 was doing.

I very much share your doubt about the intentions. But I don't think the rules (as written) are broken in any way, and I don't think that what you're doing is a house rule.

OK..what does Jeremy Crawford say?

I think its a good sign when you see the RAW being dissected smile . Achieving normality.

I think there can be no doubt that Larian is listening to feedback from many sources.

D
old hand
old hand
D
I dont know if Jeremy Crawford ever commented on it. But hes also contradicted himself in the past on some things so I tend to be hesitant to see things that he says as gospel. Reason why is off topic so il hide that in spoilers.

Mind you my vieuw on his opinions are abit soured. I have had a player try to circumvent a ruling I did by suddenly looking him up mid session and commenting that Crawford ruled something else. And like, good for him. The anwser is still no. The fact that someone on the internet vieuwed something the same way you do now does not mean that im going to allow your little munchkin behaviour... Looking back he probably knew what Crawford ruled before suggesting his little broken move which just made the situation all the more shittier.

Also cant think of which case it was but on some cases he has said somethings work like situation A in 1 question. And later on when asked an almost identical question he said it works like siuation B. And this isent a dig at the man. If someone asks me questions based on opinion they will get different anwsers on different days as well. But when someones words are used as gospel about how the rules should work, I want there to be some consistancy in there...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard