Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
The project management team has some serious issues!

They constantly demonstrate self defeating attitudes and bizarre priorities that disrespect the fan base.

They could have said..."We are aware and working on that problem, but thanks for the feedback"

Instead...no feedback that implies the following attitudes:

"We can't get there from here".

"That's not the way WE do things, if you don't like it we will find fans that do"

The interface is probably one of the most important aspects of the game. In its current state, its like eating spaghetti with a spoon.

Any competent developer would have made it a priority to fix this ASAP...just saying.

No sugar coating this one...great video...thank you for sharing the interface we should have been given from day one of EA.

Last edited by Van'tal; 01/08/22 08:39 AM.
veteran
veteran
The highly restrictive camera is very counter-productive to the impressive visual area design. Many times when I wanted to see the whole crash site tentacle, tall statue, or vista, the game simply doesn't allow it.

Dragon Age Origins is an excellent reference for how a satisfying camera or immersive 3rd person exploration/movement works. BG3 is really stiff and restrictive in comparison.

Also, immersion = you see what the character sees. I'm trying to see what the characters see, but I can't. Larian, please learn this.

Last edited by 1varangian; 01/08/22 09:12 AM.
V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Being polite won't effect anything...not in this case.

I have seen first hand that Larian can fix the problem, but chooses not to.

Whatever the TRIVIAL excuse is for not doing this, such as we don't want to move the pre-generated objects from the ceiling to the floor, it can be summed up as this:

Pure laziness and no self respect!

If you can't make a game that lives up to reasonable expectations and industry standards...then change careers.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by mercurial_ann
Originally Posted by lolwut77
Has this video been posted yet? Seems like the camera has the potential to do a lot more than what Larian allows. The mod can be found in the Steam community guides section, but it seems like it might not function with the latest version of the game.
So Their engine actually CAN do it. No excuse then

Omg, this. PLEASE can we have that? The current camera makes me furious sometimes. Please let me look upwards.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Van'tal
The interface is probably one of the most important aspects of the game. In its current state, its like eating spaghetti with a spoon.

Very much agree and not having a 'Tilt' control was and remains frustrating. I've gotten used to it and am used to having one hand on keyboard controls, but the wife is not. I'm almost done with the first playthrough and still think it needs to be adressed.

My wife really wanted this game for us as we have just got back into a Table-Top D&D group and wanted to see how 5e works in your title. She was and is so confused seeing the targets with the camera in her first encounters.
She's mostly a SIMS player and is not used to keeping one hand on the keyboard. She wanted to know why there is no tilt.

G
addict
addict
G
You can't properly utilize some scenarios of the Githyanki super jump with the camera being so limited. Lae'zel should be able to jump out of the spider pit if Dror Ragzlin knocks her in, but you can't get the camera to cooperate.

veteran
veteran
Alternatively/in addition to tilt, you should be able to move the camera to higher elevations (google says the technical term for this movement is a "pedestal shot" or "peddling" up/down). That movement seems more optimal for e.g., being able to see and jump to the ground above the spider pit.

Types of camera movement (spoilered because linked images are so large):
[Linked Image from beverlyboy.com]

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
I see two sets of complaints here, and I think both are fair. The first is aesthetic - that the perpetual downward angles makes the whole thing feel a bit claustrophobic. It's a very unusual look and feel for a 3D environment, and not in a good way.

The second is functional. When you're fighting with the camera angles to actually perform actions that the game *should* allow you to do, that's a real UI problem. Because the game actually *does* take place in three dimensions, but the display is reminiscent of a 2D display, that creates functional restrictions that are tantamount to bugs, or that at least disrupt continuity.

I've had problems where I couldn't get the camera to properly picture a redcap on a distant hilltop, where I couldn't get the game to show terrain I wanted (and should be able) to Misty Step to, or where I simply couldn't get an angle to be able to select an elevated target. Never mind the planning problems of figuring out line-of-sight to an enemy on an upper level when you can't see where the ceiling is.

One of the joys of the 3D game environment is that it allows for puzzles that require the character to be aware of all dimensions - don't forget to look up. And, to some extent, BG3 *uses* that.
Consider, for instance, the stone that can be dropped on the cracked tile in the overgrown ruins.
Took me a while to find that because, well, I couldn't see it.

Asking for a full 'first person view' where you can look up...requires Larian to create a ceiling and sky textures which I suspect aren't there. It's a relatively big ask, going beyond a tweak to the UI, but for a game of this nature, not closing in the 3D environment is kind of a big cut corner anyways. However, giving a greater degree of control over the camera - for example, being able to manually move it along the vertical axis - should be relatively simple, solving some of these issues.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard