veteran
No.

stranger
stranger
Yes.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
Psychological effect. Players limit their Long Rest because they realise that food, and thus Long Rest, is a potentially-limited resource, and they fear they might run short at some point.
This only works for so long. A couple of hours in, players realise that they are sitting on mountains of food. Unlike gold, which we will almost inevitably end up impossibly-rich with because I don't think I've seen a video game where the "gold curve" remains credible past the early game, and which we will surely hoard because that's what gold is for, I guess, and, who knows, maybe in this game the best gear will be bought instead of looted, so ... unlike gold, food can't be used for purchasing anything else than Long Rests. That means that once we've figured out how frequently we long rest and how abundant food is, there is no more reason to save food just-in-case. We can spend it fairly carelessly.

Yeah well, you're generalizing a bit too much perhaps. Not my proudest moments but I am one of those people who finishes the OG BG games with insane number of consumable items in their inventory because 'better to hoard, you never know if you might need it later on'. Although a minority, I know there's more of us, OCD inventory hoarders than you might think. (off topic, that's actually a piece of data analysis I would like Larian to present to us near release, like average consumable consumption and looting behavior of players and stuff).

Last edited by SerraSerra; 25/05/22 08:39 AM.
addict
addict
I chose 1 though I do find some things limiting. I would say my biggest beef so far is with the Lae'zel character. I find it awkward fitting her into most of my playthroughs because of her character and Gith race. It seems to me logically she would refuse to follow any of the other party members (she always assumes leadership when you encounter her) so why does she agree to my side quests? Logically having her in my party should lead straight to the Gith encounter first before any side quests which is nigh impossible to navigate as level 2 or 3. Yet leaving her out leaves me with either no fighter in my party or me having to play one (which is fun sometimes). To include her and stay immersed requires some mental gymnastics revolving around my character having some imagined influence over her. I hope this can be avoided in Full release.

Other limitations are really not that big a deal and just amount to minor frustrations...nothing is perfect.

veteran
veteran
This seems like good topic to leave this ...
Look what i have found today:
(actual spoiler ahead)

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 31/05/22 07:58 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
journeyman
journeyman
I picked the last option.

It's not uncommon that I ignore the main plot of RPG games(Like fallout 4 or Skyrim) I play, since it's bad or just not interesting and just focus on other aspects of the game. I'd prefer not to ignore the main plot and I'd like to RP the game content, though. In BG3 adhering to the main plot and roleplaying as anything else other than a crank, necessitates that you basically speedrun through the main plot and the "tadpole removal" -related quests. So no, I can't really roleplay act 1 the way I want, since I don't want to miss out on the world.

Can't say that I especially care for having to choose only 4 companions and the nitpicking approval system and its possible rewards/punishments either.

The promise of being led to death is reason enough to follow.
I've been on a fairly lengthy break so as not to burn out on Chapter 1, but I've quite enjoyed the time I've spent with the game and look forward to its full release.

addict
addict
I voted 1 because I find the openness and choice in following the game in any way I choose to be outstanding, compared to most games. There are no real restrictions ( except mechanical ) on what you can do, or what you choose to achieve, which, for me, is the real essence of what an RPG should be.

If it were a poll on implementation of mechanics ( which I consider much less important than the breadth of role-playing ) then I would probably choose 5 since D&D mechanics have never been particularly good, and 5e has regressed from some of the earlier versions. That said, I don't think there are many videogames that DO have good mechanics, which is probably why I don't care to dwell to much on how bad they are in most games.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by etonbears
There are no real restrictions ( except mechanical ) on what you can do, or what you choose to achieve, which, for me, is the real essence of what an RPG should be.
Blessed ingorance ...

So you somehow managed to heal Arabella after she was bitten by snake ... or respond hostile after Astarion put his blade against your throat ... or tell Shadowheart to go f**k herself if she stick her nose into everything you do but refuse to answer anything you ask her ... you had option to to at least try persuate Druids to join battle when you were defending their own home ... or to deal with laying kids any other way besides claiming that you never seen any kids ... or to persuate Duergars that they should join you rather than Nere?
(And lots of other examples.)

Yes there is many options ... not all of them leads to different outcome tho ...
But claiming there is no restrictions is ridiculous. :-/

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by etonbears
There are no real restrictions ( except mechanical ) on what you can do, or what you choose to achieve, which, for me, is the real essence of what an RPG should be.
Blessed ingorance ...

So you somehow managed to heal Arabella after she was bitten by snake ... or respond hostile after Astarion put his blade against your throat ... or tell Shadowheart to go f**k herself if she stick her nose into everything you do but refuse to answer anything you ask her ... you had option to to at least try persuate Druids to join battle when you were defending their own home ... or to deal with laying kids any other way besides claiming that you never seen any kids ... or to persuate Duergars that they should join you rather than Nere?
(And lots of other examples.)

Yes there is many options ... not all of them leads to different outcome tho ...
But claiming there is no restrictions is ridiculous. :-/

An interesting take, but here's my dilemma: I can apply these exact same principles to every RPG I have ever played.

veteran
veteran
That may have something to do with the fact that there is allways some restriction in PC game?

old hand
old hand
Always, and some of them make zero sense to me. For example, in Fallout 4, if you side with the Brotherhood of Steel, Proctor Teagan will have you get resources from settlements by "any means necessary", including extortion. You can, conceivably, pass a speech check and buy them from the settlements, but, if I'm already the General of the Minutemen, and already have settlements established, why can't I just set up a supply line to the Boston Airport, and provide the resources that way?

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Originally Posted by fylimar
I chose the last option. The game doesn't really let me play the way I want. I want more 5e, more ( and less mary sueish) companions, party of 6, a more realistic approach of shove and less larianisms.

+1 "... more 5e... less larianisms..." Exactly!!!!!!!

addict
addict
Originally Posted by NinthPlane
+1 "... more 5e... less larianisms..." Exactly!!!!!!!

This basically. I want to play a D&D 5e game, not some weird homebrew stuff.

Some homebrew stuff is good, of course, and also expected but the game should follow the rules more closely where possible.

S
old hand
old hand
S
I am fine with "larianisms". If I wanted to play a 5e simulator, I would be playing Solasta or tabletop simulator. Most changes from Larian make it play like a video game instead of a glorified tabletop RPG.

Last edited by snowram; 30/07/22 08:16 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by snowram
I am fine with "larianisms". If I wanted to play a 5e simulator, I would be playing Solasta or tabletop simulator. Most changes from Larian make it play like a video game instead of a glorified tabletop RPG.
Most changes Larian made so far were reverted because everyone and their grandma realized they were bad.
Some of the remaining ones are in dire need to be reverted too, since they make the game worse.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
Most changes Larian made so far were reverted because everyone and their grandma realized they were bad.
Some of the remaining ones are in dire need to be reverted too, since they make the game worse.
Exactly this

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
+1

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Icelyn
+1

Another +1. Which I'm sure will be dismissed by some here because I'm not "everyone and their grandmother," lol.

Frankly, some of the folks here make 5e sound like the most boring thing ever, and I'm glad they're not in charge of the development.

It's like, if the attack option is the meat... and the shove option is the pudding... they're saying, "How can you have your pudding if you already ate your meat?!?"

Not that *actual* game play ends up using shove all that much, anyway.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by JandK
Originally Posted by Icelyn
+1

Another +1. Which I'm sure will be dismissed by some here because I'm not "everyone and their grandmother," lol.

Frankly, some of the folks here make 5e sound like the most boring thing ever, and I'm glad they're not in charge of the development.

It's like, if the attack option is the meat... and the shove option is the pudding... they're saying, "How can you have your pudding if you already ate your meat?!?"

Not that *actual* game play ends up using shove all that much, anyway.

100% FINE. Completely agree. Larian can do whatever the IP to make it a FUN video game with this silly static Disney world mixed with blood and pretty cosplay faces.
Just don't call the game BALDUR'S GATE 3 then. LOL.

How many people I wonder bought into this thinking we are getting a <<<SIMILAR>>> but upgraded modern experience of the previous games BG1 and BG2? I bought into it. For a Baldurs gate game, I am very disappointed...As a D&D DIVINITY Larian game set in Faerun, its amazing!
Thats how you get over it; IGNORE the BALDURS GATE part. IGNORE we are on a planet (Toril, in 10 planets system called Realmspace) revolving around a sun. And IGNORE the nearly nonexistent world-building. Gota get busy with these romances. lol.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 30/07/22 02:24 PM.
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard