I never missed music in my video games, when I had only played video games without it; does that mean that we're better off without music in our games? No, it doesn't.

I didn't miss the reaction system in NWN or NWN2 - no-one did. Because it didn't exist yet, so it was literally impossible to miss it. Does that mean that we should go back to not having options that can occur outside of our own turns? No, it doesn't.

Cinematic cutscenes are not 'needed'; music is not 'needed'; colour graphics are not 'needed'; more than one class is not 'needed'... so no, technically (and an empty, meaningless statement) a proper reaction system is not 'needed' - but much like colour graphics, multiple class options and good music direction, it makes for a better and more enjoyable game if it is included in a turn-based game (which NWN etc., were not - so of course it would not have been appropriate for them).

Originally Posted by 1varangian
I think it's pretty obvious there needs to be less reactions overall if they are to remain. And less spells requiring concentration.

You thought wrong! If it were 'pretty obvious' there wouldn't be so much discussion, or so many staunch defenders. So, clearly, it's not an obvious truth, like, at all, even remotely. It's an opinion you have - and it's one that very few people seem to genuinely share.