Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17
addict
addict
Mainly that the biggest chunk of ACT 2 gameplay will be a bit too claustrophobic.

I'm finishing my 2nd playthrough right now. Seeing grymforge for the first time. It feels absolutely epic so far. The map design, the forge golem boss ( forgot his name even if I just killed him.... the guy guarding the forging device itself). It would be extremely akward instead of epic if that entire city was just chilling next to the mushroom colony just a few hundred meters away from the grove and hag swamp. Some space in between the locations even if effectively it just adds loading screens and nothing else feels a bit more organic to me.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
veteran
veteran
-that the story might end up not being good
- Origin companions overshadowing the protagonist
- Astarion ends up being super important for the story and is forced on us (like stupid Morrigan in DA). I have that fear, because the Gur didn't really believe Astarion is dead, when I told him that I killed him
- Item management stays like it is
- too much of the homebrew stays in ( shove, wizards can learn everything, no reactions)

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kimuriel
- Acts 2 and 3 getting smaller than act 1 (not recall how it was in DOS II, but wasn't act 1 the biggest? lol);
Nay, act2 was humongous. I do feel that act1 was by far the best, but size wasn't an issue for me. Of anything I found it difficult to slog my way through chapter2 and it was where my first playthrough ended.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by Kimuriel
- Acts 2 and 3 getting smaller than act 1 (not recall how it was in DOS II, but wasn't act 1 the biggest? lol);
Nay, act2 was humongous. I do feel that act1 was by far the best, but size wasn't an issue for me. Of anything I found it difficult to slog my way through chapter2 and it was where my first playthrough ended.

Huh, you too? In fact I’ve not gone back to D:OS2 after abandoning my first playthrough in act 2. One of these days I will. It took me three goes to get through the first one and I was glad I did in the end. One of the fears I *don’t* have about BG3 is that the same will happen and that I’ll struggle to continue playing, given I’ve already managed to spend more hours playing and replaying just EA than I’ve spent on D:OS and D:OS2 combined!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I still think Act 2 of DOS 2 was reasonably good in terms of amount and variety of content, but especially in its second half is exactly where all the sub-systems started showing their worst aspects to the player.
The "forced linearity" of following a certain path to keep up with level gating, the steep increase in stats, the super-tedious and busy randomized itemization, the armor system reaching just the amount of numeric bloat to a bane on the encounter design, etc, etc.

...But we are on the path for going aggressively OT now.

Last edited by Tuco; 10/08/22 04:11 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Lake Plisko
4. That Act 2 and 3 are 'rushed'. Divinity 2 was great, but it felt like they ran out of steam by the end of the game.

6. Itemization ends up being lacking. I thought Divinity 2's itemization was great - but the pacing of it ended up being rough (needing to upgrade basically every level later in the game). I find Baldur's Gate 3's itemization to be pretty bland so far... but that might just be an outflowing of the D&D ruleset and its limitations.
Just to be clear... Are you talking about Divinity 2 or Divinity Original Sin 2, here?

And for the record I thought the Itemization in DOS 2 was absolutely dreadful even before accounting the steep scaling (that was an additional malus on top).

All references to D:OS2.

I liked the almost Diablo style itemization, but that is likely a preference thing. I just thought the scaling at the end was absolutely horrendous.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
I still think Act 2 of DOS 2 was reasonably good in terms of amount and variety of content, but especially in its second half is exactly where all the sub-systems started showing their worst aspects to the player.
The "forced linearity" of following a certain path to keep up with level gating, the steep increase in stats, the super-tedious and busy randomized itemization, the armor system reaching just the amount of numeric bloat to a bane on the encounter design, etc, etc.

I adored Act 1 of D:OS 2. I liked Act 2 almost as much, if not equally. But I agree right at the end of Act 2 or the start of Act 3 is when the worst parts of the game started to show.

I still loved the game all of the way through, but it definitely had its flaws.

I think it is on topic given that the same developer is making this game. I think it stands to reason people would be concerned about the middle-end of the game starting to suffer in quality due to how D:OS2 played out.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
[quote=Tuco]

I think it is on topic given that the same developer is making this game. I think it stands to reason people would be concerned about the middle-end of the game starting to suffer in quality due to how D:OS2 played out.

Yep, particularly given that there will be no EA feedback on later stages of the game (which was also the case for DOS, if I remember correctly).

addict
addict
I fear nothing. I will be annoyed, however, if my trusty old computer can't handle the minimum graphics requirements.

old hand
old hand
Mainly the homebrew changes being crappy. I do have faith in the story and characters and choices. But I mainly fear gamebreaking homebrew changes like bonus shove, crappy reaction system, several spell slots per turn, wizards able to learn all spells, not enough interesting spells and abilities implemented and/or twisted into a strange, new beast... yeah.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
-Overwhelmingly limited number of companions.
-DOS2 style party dynamics, with a sudden lack of banter or characterization that is independent of player character.
-The game falls off in quality after the first act and a half because they only incorporated feedback into the Early Access portion of the game (DOS2 anyone?)
-Limited world in scope, lack of scale. If EA is the whole of Act 1, and Act 2 and 3 are about as long as the EA. The city of Baldur's Gate is either in ruins, or is the size of Arx.
-DOS2 style generated loot, lack of interesting story or mechanic incorporation into arms, armors, and items.
-Superficial use of tags and a lack of alternative dialogue options that feel consequential.
-Origin System is mandatory to experience the full breadth of the game. Or a lot of content in the world is completely locked behind playing an Origin Character.
-Emphasis on making multiplayer seamless at the expense of a full single-player experience.
-Superficial use of world lore, only incorporating it when it is necessary to move the plot along (DOS style).
-Barrelmancy and surfaces are incorporated further at the expense of finding new ways to make 5e combat engaging.
-The evil route requires that you have a tadpole in your brain capable of taking over your mind and also serving the Absolute (please, God, no.)

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel

Oh yeah - I forgot about this.

This is, by far, my biggest fear. That there are only like 8 companions in the final game.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel

Oh yeah - I forgot about this.

This is, by far, my biggest fear. That there are only like 8 companions in the final game.
When you combine this with the idea that the companions might not change interactions based on party composition (like in DOS2, negating the "different combinations means different parties" route) and that much of the interactivity of the story in DOS2 was based around companions/origins, and given how you might be "forced" to play an Origin character for full content, and the limitation to four characters per party, it really seems like the party portion of this party-based RPG is just made for two playthroughs. As with DOS2. Along with basically two ways to play the game. Now, that's hardly a crime, but it's not very dynamic.

old hand
old hand
- Reaction system remains the same
- All companions not in your party at the end of act 1 get killed off again just like in DOS2. Only way I'd forgive this is if they actually just leave your party instead of dying and become recurring characters in the story, and not just revived for shock value for a single fight later on.
- Origins being worked on so much that we end up with a DOS2-type situation for our custom MCs again.
- Shove remaining the same as is because I can't imagine that's going to go over well late-game.

veteran
veteran
I'm concerned about how much the game will open up after our trip to Moonrise, or how much of a Potemkin Town BG might be.
The Absolute plot right now is a mystery box. Without something satisfying coming, I'm worried the story will land like a lead balloon.

I think I've come to terms with all the gameplay quirks we've gotten, I'm mostly worried about how much all the cheese will scale up. I'd hate a scenario where we finally corner Irenicus atop of the world tree, and our epic battle is just each team taking turns failing shove attacks.

G
addict
addict
G
Honestly, I fear most Larian not delivering in promises due to time constraints.

With the amount of bugs and untested interactions, I see multiclassing being a huge obstacle for them. And this is something they said would be in the game.

So my biggest fear is Larian renege on promises already made.

I'm aware of how this studio works and I know the game will be buggy and unplayable on launch. Really launch day is just the EA testing for the full game, the same way it was in DOS 2.

It would be nice if they fixed Shove and Wet, but I doubt they will.

veteran
veteran
@The_Red_Queen @Tuco

Originally Posted by The_Red_Queen
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Huh, you too? In fact I’ve not gone back to D:OS2 after abandoning my first playthrough in act 2. One of these days I will. It took me three goes to get through the first one and I was glad I did in the end. One of the fears I *don’t* have about BG3 is that the same will happen and that I’ll struggle to continue playing, given I’ve already managed to spend more hours playing and replaying just EA than I’ve spent on D:OS and D:OS2 combined!

Yeah, trial&error discovery in which direction enemies won't slaughter you wasn't funny - also underlying issues in gameplay started to become apparent. Early into act2 the characters stop meaningfully develop with majority of the skills that you will be using for the rest of the game being acquired by this point. Though, probably story is where D:OS2 died for me - while sloppy as far as worldbuilding and storytelling goes, there was something appealing about act1. Act2 is just all over the place, sending us after McGuffin source masters, who conveniently are all grouped within the same patch of land, with people in the city unaware of massive magical earthquake that is happening a short stroll north from them. At this point the game already retconed some of the potential player choices, so I lost any illusion that anything I do in the game has any weight.

I enjoyed individual sequences (kidnapping and escape from mines is probably my favourite bit in whole D:OS2), but the game completely lost any momentum. Unlike Baldur's Gate2, I didn't find the individual "adventures" compelling enough nor seperate enough to satisfy on their own.

I do worry how Larian will continue BG3 - will our choice to save grove/side with Minthara have any repercussions, or will it be all swept under the rug rendered irrelevant, or retconed if Larian deems certain characters or items mandatory for the story? Will Baldur's Gate city any good, or will we get bunch of McGuffins to chase over another massive overworld full of disconnected and contradicting zones?

Last edited by Wormerine; 10/08/22 10:31 PM.
O
OcO Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
O
There will be no really significant consequence for using the tadpole and the game will end effectively if not exactly the same for those that do and do not. The "correct" way to play the game will be to, at a minimum, have a companion use the tadpole so everyone gets the super powers(bonus points if you use a companion you don't ultimately want endgame so if they are "lost" after Act 1 no big deal).

The shallowest game play all round will be a custom MC who never uses the tadpole(or forces a companion to do so).

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by gaymer
Honestly, I fear most Larian not delivering in promises due to time constraints.

With the amount of bugs and untested interactions, I see multiclassing being a huge obstacle for them. And this is something they said would be in the game.

So my biggest fear is Larian renege on promises already made.

I'm aware of how this studio works and I know the game will be buggy and unplayable on launch. Really launch day is just the EA testing for the full game, the same way it was in DOS 2.

It would be nice if they fixed Shove and Wet, but I doubt they will.
A delayed game is eventually good, but a bad game is bad forever.
-A Video Game Man

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 11/08/22 06:13 AM.

old hand
old hand
In no particular order (can't pick one thing)

No good reaction system
Shove not being fixed to 5 ft
The ability to have pixel sex being considered more important than having an actual plot
Too much cartoony "humour" and not enough seriousness
Choices not having consequences
Evil path being nothing more than "tadpole gives me power"
Not being able to mod the camera height

Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard