Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
There's no "unrealistic" expectation or request being made, he just decided he needs to be the cheap summer replacement for JandK.

Performance check succeeded Tuco!
Yet 1 more inspiration point gained for your Entertainer background wink

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
- There is already a flying ability in DOSII (i.e., the BG3 engine) that enables characters to hover and not be affected by surfaces. I'm sure an additional "can't be hit by melee attacks from non-flying characters" tag could be added.

- BG3 is also full of elevation (I'm fairly sure projectile distances are affected by it..?!) which means that the game keeps track of characters' Z-coordinate. Thus, Larian could probably modify Fly so that it sets characters X feet off the ground. An incredibly common glitch used by speedrunners is to walk on air by making the game think you have (or the ground is at) a different elevation. If speedrunners can break games to enable that, I feel like it wouldn't be that hard for developers to make that intentional.

Yeah, from that standpoint it surely seems doable, but I won't be satisfied with "hovering at a fixed coordinate", while being able to only move in X and Y axis. Would you? The only thing I can expect from the toolset BG3 has now is another poor man's flight which won't be much different in quality from what we have now, that is. It also seems like ragdolls are tied to elevation as of now (correct me if I am wrong) and having a creature or an NPC fly from height of N corresponding to one surface would turn into the height of N+M when going 1 level up in elevation. Some extra work would need to be done to ensure the smooth transition, which once again might not be possible as of now. I am only speaking chances here though, I'd be glad if all those cool suggestions above are added in a final game properly smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Madoric
Back in patch 1 and 2, we could teleport out of map (obviously a bug), but then we would be "flying" above the npc and still attack them. So, surely fly would work? even the red dragon in the EA "fly" away.

The dragon scene is surely scripted. Didn't know about the floating bug! Do you by chance have any footage of it? Couldn't find any through the search.

Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon
It is an informal classification for sure but, and I will leave a snippet from Wikipedia explaining the term, this project certainly falls within its bounds.

Thanks for bothering! I was on the road back then, you eased it for me a great deal smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
(I'm fairly sure projectile distances are affected by it..?!) which means that the game keeps track of characters' Z-coordinate.
Its ben some time when i checked this ...
But as i did, oposite was the truth. frown

I remember i was trying it in Dror Ragzlin throne room ... and i remember that game didnt recognized at all how high ( :D) i was compared to my targets ...
If i remember corectly i was even able to use shocking grasp to some random goblin while sitting on rafters(?).

Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Originally Posted by Sigi98
I doubt this can reasonably implemented at this point, but nonetheless +1 to fly/spider climb.
I am not a programmer, but is it really THAT hard to implement something like flying and such at this stage? Is it possible to estimate how hard it could feasibly be?
Me neither ... i have just fundamental basics of Jawa ... and i never had any especialy good grades in that field either. laugh

But from my limited perspective it heavily depends on what is allready implemented ...

IF (and that is a big if) mrfuji3 is corect and the game is able tog5i work with Z-Axis it should be trivial for purely vertical movement ... and fairly easy for everything else because there is still a line of motion in a right-angled triangle.

On the other hand if im right and the game engine dont understand the idea behind Z axis ... then it would be nearly impossible since it would require changes in the very core of that engine and that can screw litteraly everything. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
All I can say is, Larian has boasted that this game will be THE D&D 5e game of games. And yet, thus far, Solasta has BLOWN BG3 away in terms of combat and overall mechanics, creature stats, encounter builds, etc. Solasta is more faithful to D&D 5e and all of its spells, reactions, ready action, etc.

If Larian really wants BG3 to be THE D&D 5e game, they NEED to implement a GOOD working Fly and Spider Climb mechanics system, along with reactions and Ready Action. I don't flipping care about whether it's hard or whether it requires a ton of work. The fact is, as of right now, Solasta DESTROYS BG3 as THE D&D 5e experience.

I love BG3. Don't get me wrong. But it is SO not the 5e experience Larian professes that it is.

+ 1000

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Madscientist
All I can say is, Larian has boasted that this game will be THE D&D 5e game of games. And yet, thus far, Solasta has BLOWN BG3 away in terms of combat and overall mechanics, creature stats, encounter builds, etc. Solasta is more faithful to D&D 5e and all of its spells, reactions, ready action, etc.

If Larian really wants BG3 to be THE D&D 5e game, they NEED to implement a GOOD working Fly and Spider Climb mechanics system, along with reactions and Ready Action. I don't flipping care about whether it's hard or whether it requires a ton of work. The fact is, as of right now, Solasta DESTROYS BG3 as THE D&D 5e experience.

I love BG3. Don't get me wrong. But it is SO not the 5e experience Larian professes that it is.

+ 1000
YES!
But I have a feeling that most people who love the game, aint the D&D gameplay part.
In order or importance:

1. Pretty faces and graphics
2. NPC romance interactions
3.Story
4. LOOT
10. D&D gameplay
11. UI design
20. Gameworld Immersion

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 17/08/22 07:52 AM.
veteran
veteran
Maybe I am a minority, but I would prefer a proper RPG game with Super Nintendo graphics over a visually perfect dating sim.

BG3 is a very good game, bur Solasta is way better in giving me a proper DnD feeling.

So I would say:
- my favourite game in giving me a DnD feeling: Solasta
- my favourite game where the environment and story has a huge emotional effect on me: Nier Automata
- my favourite game that presents a believable fantasy world: The Witcher 3

BG3 has many great ideas and it looks good, but the game mechanics and UI/controlling characters sometimes try really hard to ruin my fun.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
veteran
veteran
Wormie's 2 cents:

It is not a hill I am willing to die on. I think there are far more pressing concernes that potential implementation (or even lack) of flight and spidercrawl.

I do think that what Solasta did with verticality, flight and spider crawl was superb - especially when combined with darkness fighting spiders who could walk on walls, felt really good. Mechanically sold on the idea of fighting giant spiders, something that teleporting spitting spiders of BG3 just don't convey. Having a rogue crawl on walls, or having my mage fly out of danger, was very cool as well.

Even if possible to implement in BG3, such 3 dementional freedom of movement might be another game and progression breaking feature - not something that BG3 needs more of, I think. If flight will be implemented in a way similar to D:OS2 it will be particulaly unappealing considering how far reaching the jump is already. If jump was greatly nerfed and flight would extend it + provide hovering: I think there would be a decent utility of it and would make the game overall feel better. And I must say, that flighers were somewhat annoying to deal with in Solasta, and BG3 at the moment lacks some crucial things like ready action. Not that Larian shouldn't try to implement flying creaters, but I wonder if they could come up with something better then them being unreachable.

Spidercrawl is the more interesting to me, as an ability to walk on walls could be restrictive enough to make it compelling. Personally, ladders being a "teleport" obect, rather then vertical walking has been my petpeve for a while. It feels off how much ground can one seemingly cover when game treats ladders as interactable teleports between planes. I don't know how useful spidercrawl would be in BG3 without serious redesign of arenas - I can't think of a spot that I would like to climb, where there woudln't be a ladder already or a way of jumping up.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
Originally Posted by neprostoman
It works exactly the same now in bg3. If your character stays next to the ladder it will block the passage. Experienced it in a fight with Polma and Gut yesterday.

Except in BG3, the goblin uses a roaring thunder arrow to force throw your tank away, and likely off a cliff, then climbs the ladder and shoves your other character off the roof and off a cliff too - all of which there is precious little you have any ability to do anything about, because they rarely fail to shove casters and there's no save on being thrown by the roaring arrows, even if they miss you entirely.

What can I say? Go fo em archers!! They are the squishiest after all, highly exposed to sleep and insta-kill smile

veteran
veteran
Verticality would be so much more interresting if it wasnt only about falling or eventually jumping down.

Flying and climbing (with your strenght or with spells like spider walk) would make a lot of sense and would definitely make the game better. But at this point this is not a top priority to me tbh.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 20/08/22 08:38 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Levitate would actually be a really cool spell to avoid being Shoved into lava / river / off a cliff. You'd just hover without falling. Seems useful with the amount of shoving and lethal falls we have.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Levitate would actually be a really cool spell to avoid being Shoved into lava / river / off a cliff. You'd just hover without falling. Seems useful with the amount of shoving and lethal falls we have.

+1

Should be easy to implement as well

G
addict
addict
G
Levitate would be easily for their engine - very similar to the DOS2 Polymorph wings. When you floated, you didn't touch the surfaces.

addict
addict
The fact that Fly hasn't been implemented in this game at all makes me really sad. I'm telling you, it's a huge disappointment. It is SO much fun in Solasta. I LOVE flying around in that game. It's one of the first spells I get as soon as I can get it.

Fly would make BG3 so much more intelligent. There could be SO many uses for it. SO many uses. It adds an entirely different element to the strategy of the game.
Go play Anthem? I don't get it! What's with this obsession of flying. Don't you people get it? it's totally and utterly broken. The game is prone to cheese as is i believe larian fly would make it even worse. Sorry i just don't feel the need to be superman.

BG3 is a very good game, bur Solasta is way better in giving me a proper DnD feeling.
It's ok to like solasta more.:)

Last edited by Lastman; 24/08/22 07:25 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lastman
The fact that Fly hasn't been implemented in this game at all makes me really sad. I'm telling you, it's a huge disappointment. It is SO much fun in Solasta. I LOVE flying around in that game. It's one of the first spells I get as soon as I can get it.

Fly would make BG3 so much more intelligent. There could be SO many uses for it. SO many uses. It adds an entirely different element to the strategy of the game.
Go play Anthem? I don't get it! What's with this obsession of flying. Don't you people get it? it's totally and utterly broken. The game is prone to cheese as is i believe larian fly would make it even worse. Sorry i just don't feel the need to be superman.

Oh ok! 🤪

Fly isn't broken. It adds a different level of strategy to the game. Concentration means if the mage takes too much damage they might fall to their deaths, so you have to be careful who you're fighting against. The spell can save a mage against melee attackers, but ranged enemies could kill them.

And it's not just about YOUR mage flying. It's about having birds and other winged creatures actually flying. Harpies hovering in the air above you so you have to peg them with spells and bows as opposed to melee weapons, or your bird animal companion flying above non-ranged phase spiders so they can't hit it so it can scout caves for you without dying. There's a lot to flying done right.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Lastman

Oh ok! 🤪

Fly isn't broken. It adds a different level of strategy to the game. Concentration means if the mage takes too much damage they might fall to their deaths, so you have to be careful who you're fighting against. The spell can save a mage against melee attackers, but ranged enemies could kill them.

And it's not just about YOUR mage flying. It's about having birds and other winged creatures actually flying. Harpies hovering in the air above you so you have to peg them with spells and bows as opposed to melee weapons, or your bird animal companion flying above non-ranged phase spiders so they can't hit it so it can scout caves for you without dying. There's a lot to flying done right.
That sounds all good on paper but when you add it to larian game it is wide open to cheese. They have open combat design the battlefield is more complex. I wouldn't be upset if they made it.
But like i said, i really don't feel the need to fly. smile

I believe making ground combat good is hard as is adding flying just makes it that much harder. I really don't want the return of jumping frogs fiasco or the new shove combat all over again just with fly this time around.
We have way too much ranged combat already IMO.
Without even getting fly. i can already see people casting fly and hiding the casters. You can do that even without stealth because AI isn't smart enough to counter it and that just one of many cheese options.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard