Personally I've never been super drawn to playing humans, dwarves or elves.They're just the obvious, standard peoples for fantasy and I like when fantasy has weird, high magic races. Even now I've only recently started appreciating dwarves more but I still tend to find elves kinda meh. I only really like them in Dragon Age because of the background setting and the hardships attatched to being one, which I find makes them feel much richer. But as soon as I was able to play a Qunari in Inquisition, I did so and it spoiled me for every other race.

As far as D&D, tieflings were my favorite race from the moment I saw them, with orcs not far behind. Ardlings sound super cool though I'm not wild about the animal-head aspect. Just doesn't jive with me. I personally agree that they should have a good low fantasy setting for people who want that, but this is the kind of thing I come to fantasy for, overall. I find that weird peoples like tieflings and ardlings and dragonborn are part of what really makes a fantasy setting feel fresh and unique, and makes them stand out. Those peoples, their origins and how they fit into the world.