Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Topper
My only real fear for release is that its rushed.

Same here.

While the most impatient part of me wants to play the full game immediately, I have a profound respect for Larian Studios when it comes to their choice of taking their time to finish a well polished game. Art takes time.

So I guess my next honest fear is that this game would never be fully released. Being overly perfectionist (and trying to please absolutely everyone) could lead to this😅.

But I prefer trusting they'll be able to balance that ^^

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
I still think its been cancelled. No update since feb 2021? C'mon! haha!
Actually the last update is from July 2022 where CEO of Paradox confirmed that Bloodlines2 is still be worked on and is allegedly in good hands, and more will be revealed once the team is ready for it. The game clearly went through a thorough reboot, but considering how many warning lights have been lighting up, it can't be a bad thing. Hopefully the new and improved Bloodlines2 will be shaping up better then what was originally shown.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by MelivySilverRoot
My only real fear for release is that its rushed.

Same here.

While the most impatient part of me wants to play the full game immediately, I have a profound respect for Larian Studios when it comes to their choice of taking their time to finish a well polished game. Art takes time.

So I guess my next honest fear is that this game would never be fully released. Being overly perfectionist (and trying to please absolutely everyone) could lead to this😅.

But I prefer trusting they'll be able to balance that ^^

I agree, I think they will take their time and white noise out the calls for "everything now". I definitely think it will be released and released well smile Like any other major undertaking though it will require some work post release I think. Yeah, I think they will get the balance right. not for everyone, but hey ho. I love 95% of the game so far.

old hand
old hand
"The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself."

Obviously, Roosevelt never visited these boards.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
"The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself."

Obviously, Roosevelt never visited these boards.

"if you do not overcome your fear, your fear will overcome you."

- The Spinx - Mystery men (not really)

enthusiast
enthusiast
Fear is the mind killer....

veteran
veteran
lol.

Not ALT+F4 BG3 as a form of Gom Jabbar? grin

Last edited by Wormerine; 04/09/22 08:42 PM.
addict
addict
Something that really surprised me when playing the couple first hours (for spoilers sake I dont play more than 10 hours in a EA games) is that the only nightime we get are long rest camps?
So no flow of time during gameplay (days turning to nights). Previous Baldurs gate games had this, and so do most RPGs. Is this a delibarate design choice? Or maybe this happens later in the game?
Anyways this made the world feel incredibly stale and lifeless to me…not sure how to put it…like your there to just play the dropped in content, not loose yourself into the world.
Or maybe I am just behind the curve on this, I haven’t played RPGs in a good while. New norm?

Also still haven’t encountered any turnips in this world!

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 05/09/22 12:51 AM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Count Turnipsome
Something that really surprised me when playing the couple first hours (for spoilers sake I dont play more than 10 hours in a EA games) is that the only nightime we get are long rest camps?
So no flow of time during gameplay (days turning to nights). Previous Baldurs gate games had this, and so do most RPGs. Is this a delibarate design choice? Or maybe this happens later in the game?
Anyways this made the world feel incredibly stale and lifeless to me…not sure how to put it…like your there to just play the dropped in content, not loose yourself into the world.
Or maybe I am just behind the curve on this, I haven’t played RPGs in a good while. New norm?

Also still haven’t encountered any turnips in this world!

Nope. It's not a new norm. Unfortunately, it's a Larian thing. DOS 2 is the same. We've been fighting for a Day/Night cycle since Day 1, and we're pretty sure we're not getting it. It would be AWESOME if we did, but at this point, not likely.

And MANY of us agree. We REALLY want Day/Night and time.

But thanks for posting. Every voice hopefully matters.

Last edited by GM4Him; 05/09/22 01:40 AM.
veteran
veteran
Welcome to the forum, here is one very large mega-thread echoing your concerns

Day/Night Cycle

It is by no means the only place it's been debated around here

Last edited by Sozz; 05/09/22 02:54 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Ending up with a full hybrid of a game that's not actually Baldur's Gate III , but Larian's/DOS Gate III instead.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Anthraxid
Ending up with a full hybrid of a game that's not actually Baldur's Gate III , but Larian's/DOS Gate III instead.
Yup. That's clearly where the game's at right now, so a very reasonable fear.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Yup. That's clearly where the game's at right now, so a very reasonable fear.

For some reason, I thought you had mentioned you weren't playing the game? Am I remembering incorrectly or has that changed?

old hand
old hand

Thus far, every indication points to this; your concern is entirely justified.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Wormerine
lol.

Not ALT+F4 BG3 as a form of Gom Jabbar? grin

That one....kills only animals.... smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
Day and night cycles certainly do a lot for the atmosphere when they are done properly. I would also really like to have it but for now it looks like we are not getting it. In no way a deal breaker for me though. Love the game so far.

That chapter 1 will be polished and the rest of the game will not be.

Fear that :

Places like Shadowfell, Avernus or the Astral Plane are just small areas, with a plot beginning to grow in complexity which suddenly ends after a semi-boss fight, like : "Wanna see more ? Then buy baldur's gate 4 in 2 years, that's all folks !"

veteran
veteran
My main fear at the moment is that what we'll get is:

Act 1: Mostly polished, within the scope of the existent shoddy game interface and design. Interactions will most all work and have multiple approaches, each of which will flow as hoped and expected, with only a moderate amount of broken non-sequitur. Only a few notable places where the game breaks badly, the world/map clips or fails, or the camera gets utterly unmanageable. Most events will follow through and play off other related events as expected.

Act 2: Large, expansive zone full of dozens of only half-complete side quests and dialogues that quickly break down one to the next; a space rife with untested routes and sequences that cause untested game-breaking, or at minimum quest-breaking errors, dialogues that fire out of order, quests that fail to initiate or complete when they're meant to, and many instances of poorly tested terrain, map and camera issues.

Act 3: Moderately sized zone, mostly empty of quests and dialogues, core story progression will be mostly sound but mostly short, relative to the space, and the rest of the space will have very little to do with anything, coming off as bland and unfinished, full of encounters but no substance.

Act 4: A broken unplayable mess that staggers to the conclusion but rarely gets there due to lack of testing and polish, set in a space that feels like it should have been more but was rushed and incomplete, with next to no story or side quest content. At least one bug that causes a complete game crash error reliably every time and prevents at least one major quest from being completed at all.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I "fear" that I will get bored by the end of it and never finish, like all Larian games I tried before, and never come back to re-play again.

Combat also tends to be exciting @ the start, but falls off mid game and a complete mess in the end, but since combat is handled by DnD, maybe this will not be the case.

Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard