I'm not sure it is because of what the book JAndK mentioned tells about the origins of the Githyanki:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This event occurred thousands and thousands of years before and it mentions whatever is locked inside the Githyanki box. It broke them free of the Mindflayer influence, same as it broke us free of the Absolute's influence. Meanwhile wasn't Bhaal a mortal several thousands years later who then became a God and tried to revive himself several times, so the timeline doesn't match up with the Githyanki uprising.

My theory is that whoever or whatever this being in the book was, it was not originally trapped in a Githyanki magical box. Instead after the uprising, considering how egotistic Githyanki are, they turned upon the being and entrapped it with magical Githyanki runes inside the box. To ensure if the Mindflayer threat ever arises they could always use its psyonic powers against them, which is why they value it so tremendously that they'd go against Vlaakith's own children. It's quite literally the key to their freedom as a race.

Which directly correlates to the reason why the Absolute wants the weapon so badly and why the Gith want it so badly too. And why the weapon itself wants neither the Githyanki nor the Absolute, just us. I believe Queen Vlaakith is the only one who knows exactly the true origin of the being inside the box and why she ordered her children to find it at any cost, even if it means killing her own children in the process... something that Lae'zel finds inconceivable.

Also the dead Mindflayer in the Shattered Sanctum shows us visions of thousands of Nautiloids pouring out of the void if they obtain the box, which to me implies that the Absolute's goal is to bring a new and improved Illithid Empire back into the food chain. And they may as well accomplish that if they manage to seize the only thing that defeated them thousands of years ago and kept them at bay since then.

As for why the artefact and the Dreamer seem related:

• Both seem to be handling Illithid telepathy with ease
  • Both seem to be beings of pure psyonic energy
  • Both are trying to protect us (the Dreamer cures us of the first stage of ceremorphosis and the box saves us from the Absolute)
  • We are not able to get rid of either (the Dreamer is always there from the very beginning just like the artefact)
  • We are saved from falling from the Nautiloid
  • The artefact is referred to as "the weapon", but the voice itself tells Shadowheart that she will become "a beautiful weapon"

So if the Dreamer is the being locked inside the Githyanki box for thousands and thousands of years, who we then break free in Baldur's Gate, the weapon now becomes a free being who I presume would likely merge with us to share in its power. And now "the weapon" itself is gone and we become "a beautiful weapon". Would be quite poetic.

And by doing so, the dreams do not stop, but now the Dreamer is a part of us permanently and always with us. Which would then also justify why we get to customize our Dreamer. I think it is meant to be with us the whole way through the game.