Originally Posted by Wormerine
+1 It's a bit of a heavy handed solution, and usually I would advocate for a more thorough solution, but at this point, I think this is the best one could hope for.

I would worry we could run into Dragon Age: Origins situation, where I would be reluctant to go to camp to spend the next hour of gameplay slogging through repetitive companion exposition and biography dumps, but BG3 cutscenes have been short and snappy so far, so even stacking multiple in one rest shouldn't be an issue.
Originally Posted by The Composer
Yea a little replacement of the resting icon would be nice - Obviously not a fix to other underlying criticism-worthy things but for sure is a low cost quality of life improvement.

I agree. Unfortunately this isn't a fix to the resting mechanic as a whole, it's more of a way to make it less of a contradiction between itself and the story. Personally I'd love to see the resting mechanic entirely re-envisioned so it perfectly feels cohesive with everything else, but I don't wish to expect major revisions of features so I try to see what could make the current mechanics better in their current state.

Originally Posted by Tandi
+1

Not going to lie, this is probably one of the main issues I have with the game, having to rest multiple times to make sure I don't miss anything before progressing "the main" story or before big events so to say will be bothersome. Atleast in EA I sort of know when my companions have something to say but I'll worry I'll be spamming rest alot in unknown content at release because I have no idea when something interesting is going to happen!

Also for players who have no idea how the companion dialogue system works might miss out on a bunch of story if there's no notifications when one your companions wants to talk.

Yes, unfortunately same fear here. I love the story and especially love the companions, so I do not want to miss any sort of interaction with them.

Originally Posted by JandK
Just to mention, right now, as of the current patch 8, you can get multiple companion scenes in one rest.

Usually, you'll only get one exclamation point, but if you talk to the other characters they'll sometimes have scenes for you also. Even though they didn't display an exclamation point because someone else did.

For example, you can get things like Gale's "go to hell" scene and his vanity grooming scene even when he doesn't have the exclamation point. Things like that all over. Even Astarion's star gazing scene and looking in the mirror scene.

I usually try to talk to all of my companions each rest. And I do so multiple times until their conversation has reverted back to the generic lines.

Oh I'm aware. I talk to every single one each time there is a dialogue prompt, and I talk twice because they also have dialogues sometimes after the initial dialogue.

Though it's quite unintuitive in some cases. For example after the very first dream sequence; you have to ignore Shadowheart's prompt and instead talk to Lae'zel and Astarion. Because otherwise the game quite literally cuts off their entire dialogue if you talk to Shadowheart or Gale first, not to mention you lose approval with Shadowheart, Lae'zel and Astarion. Afterwards Gale's and Shadowheart's dialogues still fully play out, however you entirely lose dialogue choices for them.

Also in the celebration scene when everyone wants to initiate romance, you have to ignore the prompt and talk with Lae'zel first if you wish to flirt with all companions at once. Otherwise Lae'zel will not even want to flirt with you.

I really dislike that the game does this secretly depending on who we first talk to, despite who has the prompt. Because I'd prefer to fully talk with all of them without having to stick to a certain order.

As MelivySilverRoot also mentioned, it is very important to know the order in which you have to talk to companions otherwise the game takes away dialogue.